Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sound and Story Podcast: Kanye West

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. This sounds very cool. Will listen

3. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I was trying to remember the name of this podcast a couple weeks ago but for the life of me could not. Even tried to go back through the encore archives cause I could at least remember they were a sponsor.

Listening to The Mountain Goats episode now. I do enjoy it. I'm curious if he has to clear the songs before using them or if it falls under some sort of fair use.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This podcast made me go back and listen to MBDTF for the first time in a while.

5. DearCory

Regular

Pretty cool I enjoyed it... I don't understand why he didn't cover anything after Runaway though.

6. trevorshmevor Aug 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 16, 2024)
    The Death Cab episode of this was great. Definitely went into the show thinking someone from the band would be interviewed or something, wasn’t mad when that wasn’t the case. I've had The Mountain Goats one sitting in my queue for a while now and kinda forgot about it until this one popped up today. Got some catching up to do!

7. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Listening now.

Intereted in listening to former episodes too.

Hope this is good! What a great concept.

8. Bob Roark

Newbie Supporter

Obviously I'm not a lawyer, but the main factor in fair use is if it's "transformative." And since I'm creating a whole new work that uses the music as evidence or examples (like video essays do when they use film clips), I think the work is transformative and thus under fair use.

9. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Makes sense. I was mostly curious because in The Sunset Tree episode you play one or two songs pretty much whole-cloth, and I don't know if there's some sort of time limit factor when it comes to this kind of thing (I am not a lawyer either, but I've worked on documentaries helping to clear film and audio and it's a real pain).

I think another distinction is that you aren't charging money for the podcast, or have any advertising (at least in the episodes I listened to), so you aren't profiting in any way off of using the clips, which I think keeps you in the clear. I know of at least one podcast that had to re-edit old episodes where they just had background music under their speaking once they started putting ads in the show.

Anyway, really enjoyed the episodes I listened to! You balance the research/factual information with your personal analysis and interpretations really really well. Looking forward to more episodes!

10. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Took a listen. Enjoyed the podcast.

I will definitely be listening to a few more episodes before forming an opinion on the series.