Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sopranos (HBO) TV Show • Page 48

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Season one was awesome! I don’t think it can be understated how funny this show is. Paulie and Silvio are some classic cut ups.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

3. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Imperioli is the best

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Hell yea Mannequin Pussy

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Holy shit

6. Morrissey

Trusted

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Watched this episode today. It's funny how much these American wiseguys don't fit in to Italian life.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

imthesheriff and aliens exist like this.
  9. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Anthony_Soprano and angel paste like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Haha

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Hahahah

12. -deleted-

-

Amazing.

13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Starting Talking Sopranos pod now. Ep 1 already hooked.

14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

15. I adopted a cat I'm thinking of naming Furio

Mary V, johnnyferris, OotyPa and 3 others like this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

that rules hah

Why Bother? likes this.
  17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Is it gonna have a pony tail?

Why Bother? likes this.
  18. No ponytail (yet?)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

And now that coffee maker sucks

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

The cat I adopted was already named Meadow so of course I kept the name.

21. Well, I just finished my first run through of the show and you might as well call me AJ Soprano because I'm fucking depressed

22. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

don't stop -

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  23. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

s1ep8 has one of the worst single-episode plots in the show, as it’s the first episode that really makes a big deal about Italian identity and, like the Columbus episode, falls into characters just explaining things that the other characters would already know

But it also has one of the best plots, which is Chris’s first big existential crisis. His conversation with Tony in the car (also where the “regularness of life” quote comes from) is particularly devastating because Tony clearly relates to what Chris is talking about, but can’t/won’t articulate it and help him through it in any meaningful sense. I could imagine a more optimistic version of the show where they gradually overcome that emotional hurdle and both come out the better for it (I don’t believe it’s until s2 that Chris actually gets into drugs at all — at this point he’s just the new young immature member of the crew, so his arc could have potentially gone a million different ways), but from this ep is feels like Chase clearly knew from the start that Chris was always going to be doomed.

in conclusion, the sopranos is a land of contrasts

24. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Started the Talking Sopranos pod and am hooked so doing yet another rewatch

25. The show is ultimately very nihilistic, isn't it? Livia was right about it all being a big nothing. And Tony recognizes that during his last visit with Uncle June; he realizes his son is just understanding life earlier than he may have. When Tony tells his therapist he was born into this, it becomes clear that no matter how close he comes to changing, he will always default back to self-destruction. And it's not just him - most of the characters follow suit. It all feels very deterministic.

Even the ending, which I want to interpret as Tony continuing to enjoy life with his family while he waits to be indicted, or whacked, has pretty much all but been confirmed to be his death scene. An amazing show with an amazing ending, but I'm not just sad it's over. It's genuinely depressing.