Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sopranos (HBO) TV Show • Page 41

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. -deleted-

-

That was a trick question to see if you all are paying attention.

Cameron likes this.
  2. -deleted-

-

Easily one of the funniest moments in the show. Top 3 no questions.

imthesheriff likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Starting a rewatch tonight!

4. -deleted-

-

A film by Christopher Moltisanti.

60D25868-204E-4183-A6CA-1E2812BEFD09.jpeg

5. Morrissey

Trusted

I still have the Cleaver hat that came with the DVD set.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I still have The Departed soundtrack CD Chrissy was listening to leading up to the car crash

Cameron likes this.
  7. -deleted-

-

If anyone is interested, there is a really great documentary on Netflix now called Fear City, covering the complete control the New York mob families had over NYC in the 70's-80's, and their downfall. There are multiple known associates, detectives, and footage/recordings/photos from the investigations and I thought it was very well done. They also do not glorify the lifestyle. If you enjoy The Sopranos I feel like you can enjoy this. Only 3 parts too.

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

My friend was just telling me about that. Apparently it’s really good

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  9. -deleted-

-

I watched all three in one sitting cause it caught me really well. I didn't expect to be listening to actual wire audio recordings of the mob. It's really in depth on how the structure of the mob was and how difficult it was to make cases that implicate them all.

10. brothemighty

Trusted

Finally finished. Pumped my fist when Chris died. Eat shit, you murderous fuck

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Chris is manipulated and emotionally abused by Tony throughout the show. He isn't the root of the problem.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Chrissy remains my favorite character but incredibly flawed no doubt

zmtr, Sean Murphy and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Was just talking to a friend last night about how, half way through season three, Chris is one of the absolute worst characters in the show and is easily one of my favorites. Not excited for whats coming to him :(

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Something the show repeatedly emphasizes is the way that this lifestyle is passed down from generation to generation. Both Chris and Tony had fathers in the mafia. We see Jackie Aprile Jr. getting involved. A.J. briefly tries to get revenge on Uncle Junior before he screws that up. Christopher is not blameless, but every time he tries to get out of the mob Tony stops him. Tony and especially Paulie taunt him about his sobriety and then are shocked that he abuses drugs. When Tony kills Christopher, it is not a celebration that a villain is finally being defeated; it is a tragedy that Tony used up everything he could from Christopher and then kills him when he is no longer useful. Tony finally moves on from Christopher when Christopher is finally having some success in the film industry, where he is not killing and robbing people. He decides to corrupt Bobby, forcing him to commit his first murder in exchange for entering the inner circle. Of course it leads to Bobby's demise as well, as it will many others who chase the money and lifestyle that they grew up seeing in movies.

16. brothemighty

Trusted

He's a fucking psychopath like the rest of them. I don't wanna hear it. If Tony actually is shot in the diner, they all get what's coming to them except Paulie

You can only claim "manipulation" up to a point. You might have a case with Bobby. Not Chris.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

Chris and Bobby go down the same path. They both commit their first murder to get in close with Tony. They both had fathers in the Mafia. The show is very clear about the corrupting influence of money and power.

18. -deleted-

-

Yeah I thought a great deal of the show did well in not glorifying the lifestyle. They do crack jokes and have fun, but every season it shows the destruction the lifestyle caused and how difficult it was to get out.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Artie exists as a character to show why the main characters chose their lifestyle. He works hard every day and struggles to the point of almost losing everything multiple times. While he makes mistakes, many of his problems come from being the owner of what became a mob hangout. His restaurant gets burned down and Tony lets him dangle under an arson investigation and then falls victim to their credit card scam. Melfi is one of the most moral characters in the show and she suffers a terrible assault and can't even get revenge in the way the other characters would. The characters would rather live the high life and get murdered in their forties than work an honest day in their life. While the criminals often meet an unfortunate end, the regular people in the show often have it worse.

20. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

The way that episode (Employee of the Month) ends, with her dramatically turning down Tony’s offer for help, knowing full well she’d get the satisfaction she might want but still not wanting to be the cause of another’s death/harm - one of the most powerful moments of the show and i think the defining moment of her character, so early in the show.

SpyKi, BornToRun and Leftandleaving like this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

Its one of the best episodes.

She is confronting the failure of her own belief in the fairness of the system. Working hard and living honestly will not bring you the rewards that you were promised, all the while every week seeing Tony whine and complain about minor inconveniences while he lives in luxury. Even little children start to notice this on the playground and in the classroom, and it can lead to complete disillusionment in the system. Not utilizing Tony as a weapon is a tremendous act of courage.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Leftandleaving and Cameron like this.
  23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

someone please, please, find every scene from the show where tony is driving listening to the radio/music and please overdub “burnout” and/or “coming clean”.

24. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved that and I was kind of afraid she'd go back on it a few episodes later.

25. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

I'm on my 3rd rewatch and I think this will always be my favorite scene:

"What's that? My Trial? Bobby? What the fuck is this?!":crylaugh: