Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sopranos (HBO) TV Show • Page 34

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. soggytime

Trusted

I think on BB, the issue might come down to that it really is Walt's show, and Skylar in his mind is an obstacle that he needs to overcome - hence the way it's written. It's a problematic portrayal because we are following a very toxic worldview. Or, that's my justification of another show I love lol

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The Wire is a great show to follow The Sopranos with. I think the writing is at the same level of quality, just more focused on the macrocosmic fight for salvation rather than studying one character's path.

3. -deleted-

-

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah if I'd seen this in reverse I probably wouldn't be as into BB. i haven't watched it since it ended in high school, but I was obsessed w it for a lot of the reasons I like the Sopranos and I'm realizing how much of a difference the execution makes. like Skylar is def a victim of a lot of what happens to her, and I never hated her but I certainly never connected with her. it's a shame bc in retrospect she could've been a much better dramatic foil if she wasn't written off as "the nag" :/

yeah things are getting intense, Tony is having violent outbursts more often, Chris is def full blown on his addiction, Ralph has left the building, Adrianna dealing w the feds, Carm has basically checked out of her marriage... and wow look at that! women who have lives and their own plots, amazing

this, BB never feels like it's trying to be bigger than the narrative and how it's affecting the characters, which is odd given how much potential there is for it in a social sense. but the world is just so much smaller and insular in BB. even the movie felt p hollow to me for that reason, though I think the haunted vibe works well enough for some of it
    I think I agree with this, Walt is incapable of real introspection so we get this self centered solipsism instead where everyone is out to get him in his pov. I think not ignoring that is important to me enjoying the show or otherwise you just buy into Walt's shit

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

this is my next move I think, when I moved into my apartment one of the first things my roommate did was hand me his boxset of the wire lol

OotyPa likes this.
  6. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Y’all are really gonna make me watch this again for the fourth time in three years huh

7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I bring this up once a month but I used to work at 'Green Grove' ;)

Anthony_Soprano and Sean Murphy like this.
  8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i've always wanted to go visit some of the shooting locations - specifically, i really wanna go to the house and take a picture in the driveway lol

my parents got married at the same place they filmed johnny sac's daughter's wedding (Leonard's in Great Neck, NY)

9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah a good amount of the scenes were shot in Verona where I'm from. Liv's house was right behind my middle school, all of the soccer scenes in the first season were shot at my middle school. I've drove by the Soprano mansion many times, I believe it is for sale right now actually.

It's why no show will ever top this one for me, I have such a close connection just with the locations and it reminds me of home since I live in South Florida now.

Sean Murphy likes this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

11. Morrissey

Trusted

I probably should have tried to see some Sopranos locations when I went to New York. The most I did was the Seinfeld diner.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

s4 e10 was hard to watch, all the stuff with Christopher. in spoilers for those sensitive to violence: When he accidentally killed the dog and then hit Adrianna like he did later, I almost cried. The fact that he did it multiple times really pushed home how far gone he was, it's hard to see that and not flinch. Truly visceral callousness, and culminating in that intervention, it was just a lot. I barely kept it together when he called his mother a whore, that shit was so so sad.
    the yearning that Carmela and Furio have for each other is also tugging on the ol' heart strings. When she said she felt like her life was slipping through her fingers and like she'd never be happy? And then when Furio eating alone is juxtaposed with Tony eating alone but you know that it's way harder on Furio? god i'm falling apart here. this episode hit all my buttons

also Svetlana might lowkey be one of my favorite characters, I love her so much and she is a delight every time she's on screen. Her rejecting future advances from Tony really cemented that for me haha

13. Morrissey

Trusted

14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I just watched the episode the test dream. What does everyone think about it? I have mixed feelings.

Cameron likes this.
  15. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I think it's one of the best episodes of the whole show tbh, but Join the Club somehow tops it

soggytime, Cameron and OotyPa like this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

One of my favorites. It's a challenging, brilliant episode that rewards multiple watches just like all the other episodes that are rich with symbolism. I love the fact that this is the kind of show that's willing to go to that level of literary craft. Not many shows I can think of are confident and talented enough to do something like that and pull it off.

17. kupe

Regular

Surrealist Sopranos is the Sopranos for me. Along with everything else in the show cause it's so damn good

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yep. Love when the show gets surreal or any of the dream sequences really. So that ep is one of my favs

19. Morrissey

Trusted

I hate the priest more than anyone in a show full of murderers.

20. imthegrimace

Join the club was wonderful

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

A1F8C798-69E7-4B58-9F9C-B37CA4DE2B80.jpeg

This quote is resonating with me a lot these days. It’s keeping me hopeful.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

Livia immediately badmouthing someone after they walk away reminds me a lot of my own parents.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

oh, poor you!

24. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

[​IMG]

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  25. imthegrimace

Livia is one of the best characters