Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sopranos (HBO) TV Show • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

[​IMG]

trevorshmevor and currytheword like this.
  2. currytheword

Trusted

I have. 3 times now completely, and random episodes throughout.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That last scene in “Where’s Johnny?” is such a damn tearjerker.

“Do you even love me?”

4. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Watching this show for the first time (currently in season 3) and one of my favorite parts about it is how self aware the writing is with the culture at the time. Makes it that much more believable. HBO’s willingness to include certain music, pro sports games, etc where the basic cable networks rarely go is a huge positive for me.

I can’t stop saying capicola in my day to day conversations.

Mary V, EASheartsVinyl and OotyPa like this.
  5. Jake Gyllenhaal

johnnyferris likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Their ability to make pop culture references that STILL land today is also absolutely impeccable. It’s such an immersive and timeless experience.

Also funnily enough, I’m on a watch through at S3 right now too!

Mary V and johnnyferris like this.
  7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'm halfway through S4 :girlhand::girlhand::girlhand:

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

It still blows my mind that such a dark, subtly written, character drama became the cultural sensation that it was. There's no score to ease the viewers, only a handful of big shootouts, mostly just actors playing these complex roles in natural/realistic ways. It makes me think of how the mafia aspect of the show could almost be argued as a facade for what this actually is, a deeply layered story about humanity and mortality. I wonder how many people watched this live expecting a typical mafia narrative.

9. EASheartsVinyl Feb 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 22, 2019)
    EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I know for a fact that my parents didn’t watch it from the start because they assumed it was. My mom loves it now but I have actually STILL been trying to convince my dad to try it despite his assumptions.

I do think the fact that it was mostly in a world of its own when it came out helped it become such a sensation. Plus it had enough easily accessible elements that someone who normally wouldn’t tune in for such a challenging and strange show would still get sucked in and relate to it.

OotyPa likes this.
  10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Oh shit. Hopefully he brings those Chantix acting chops

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Not gonna lie, it won't feel like the Sopranos without James Gandolfini, but I'm still really excited.

13. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I definitely welcome Liotta to be apart of this.

currytheword likes this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Semi related but for the last few weeks been binging Boardwalk Empire and it’s got some Sopranos alum. 4 episodes left of the series and it’s crazy how Michael Shannon’s character descends from do gooder government agent to criminal.

Cameron likes this.
  15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Completely forgot this existed, is it worth a watch?

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes! It’s great. It was created by Terence Winter and shares some other cast and crew as well. It feels very real and lived in for the period setting and has incredibly memorable characters.

oldjersey likes this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Looooove Boardwalk

Not on the same level as Sopranos obvi

kyle and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  18. Morrissey

Trusted

Boardwalk Empire is incredibly silly. It can be enjoyable in parts, but the dumbest possible ending that fans predicted halfway through the last season was the actual ending they went with.

OhTheWater likes this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah i agree, boardwalk is very good in its first two seasons but after that i found most of it boring and hard to get through.

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Man, season three has a bunch of my favorite stuff for the whole show. There’s a few moments in particular that pop into my head randomly and still mess me up.

Season four I don’t remember as well, I think that one was my least favorite.

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Yea season 3 might stand out as my favorite due in part to Bobby Cannavale's character.

Cameron and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Speaking of Winter, is Vinyl worth checking out? I was meaning to see it when it first aired but then it got canceled after only its first season

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Agreed. I will always hate him after that role, he was so evil, but I loved how he basically went Charlie Kelly WILD CARD over everything. Super frustrating as a human being of course, but fun to watch.

I’ve always kind of viewed Boardwalk as if everyone involved in The Sopranos and The Wire found themselves back in time and decided to get real weird and campy and pulpy with it.

Also Kelly Macdonald is a treasure and I wish she was in everything.

Ken and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah Kelly Macdonald, Michael Shannon, and Michael Pitt were the only things I really liked in Boardwalk.

I think Michael Shannon's character is one of the best written characters on any show I've ever seen.

25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

but on the topic that started this all, HBO loves to recycle actors/actresses - Benny and Janice were very briefly in The Night Of as well and I couldn't take their scenes seriously. Beansy is Vinny's accountant in Entourage

There are a few others I am sure Im missing haha

Ken likes this.