Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Sopranos (HBO) TV Show • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

S5 is actually my least fav. There’s some good episodes, but the forced insertion of Buscemi/Feech took me out. Tho I do love that the show directly responded to it with Bobby Jr lol.

2. Full Effect Ed Jun 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2018)
    Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Season 4 was my least favorite.
    I’ll tell ya though the scene with Tony in a coma and Carmella talking to him about their summer trips to Tom Petty’s “American Girl” had me in tears

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Whichever season has the most mentions of gabagool is my favorite

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

MexicanGuitars and marceting like this.
  5. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Forever

6. Marx&Recreation Jun 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2018)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

"This whole war could have been averted. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this!"

Signifire and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I love Edie Falco but I think at times her character runs into the same issues as Skyler White.

8. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I love when Carmella steals tonys saving from the bird feeder, and when confronted about it later denies it says "your demented!" Lol

BornToRun likes this.
  9. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Lol that second part was my custom title a few months ago :crylaugh:

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Tony: "Uncle June, how was Boca?"
    Junior: "Wonderful. I don't go down enough."
    Carmela: "That's not what I heard."

11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i think she's a more complex character than Skylar - she has clearer conflicts of religious ideals and individual greed. Skylar was not as bad as a lot of BB viewers made her out to be (usually pretty misogynistically) but Carmela has a lot more dynamics with the show's situations and characters

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

The Skyler hate was stupid but I don’t think you could compare the two. Skyler was suddenly thrusted into Walt’s empire upon learning abou it to protect the family after living a quiet middle class life. Carmela knew early on who Tony was when they started dating in high school, who his father was, and the line of business he was involved in, as well as the lifestyle of the other wives. Early on she’s aware of Tony’s infidelities but that broke her when she found out about the Russian caretaker. She became a stronger character but still stuck by her family in the end. When Skyler hit the breaking point, she left with Jr. for good.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Skylar was a bad character; Breaking Bad did a bad job of fleshing out characters outside of Walter. Carmela is a much more fascinating character, and the show goes to show how mob wives are guilty of enabling their husbands.

One of the best Carmela episodes is when she goes to see a therapist during the third season. She cries about Tony's crimes and talks about leaving him, but is worried about money. The therapist does not sugarcoat it, telling her to flee immediately. She thinks about it, decides she would rather live in luxury, and at the end of the episode says that Tony needs to do nicer things for her. It is reflected again when she tries to divorce Tony, only to give up when she realizes she will be cut off from the assets. She decides to use the leverage she has to set up the spec house side business with money that she knows comes from murder and theft.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

No

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

P much what Tetra said she’s so much more fleshed out, and better written.

Also Edie is such a good actor, and has more to work with. A lot of BB characters weren’t as developed as Walt, Hank, and Jesse.

BornToRun likes this.
  16. Jake Gyllenhaal

17. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

On one hand i’m happy someone familiar with the brand is directing, on the other hand his features have left a lot to be desired.

18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Who decided to have this scene take place while Ralphie and Vito were playing a pick up game lol

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

What is the general consensus on the best/worst seasons? I’m on a rewatch now, season 3 was easily the worst and I forgot how unbelievably dull Jackie Jr. was, and I still have two episodes of season 5 left but given what I’ve already watched and knowing what happens next I think it may be my favorite. I remember being super bored by 6A aside from the Vito storyline, and loving most of 6B. The other three are all up in the air idk

20. Morrissey

Trusted

The first two seasons are very good, but they are more plot driven. Beginning in season three and especially in season four, the show took on the deeper themes that takes the show from being great to one of the best shows ever. Five is a bit of a reaction to people thinking four is too slow, but six is close to perfect.

21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

People didn’t like 4? Thinking about it now I’d probably put it right after 5. Everything with Ralph, Chris’ addiction, the NY family finally playing a notable role, and I’d consider the bookends to easily be two of the show’s best episodes. Only thing that stands out in my mind as slow would be how Carmela and Furio’s relationship never really goes anywhere - it feels like they repeat the same few scenes over and over

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Honestly I’m almost done with my rewatch, but the first two seasons are the only ones I dont particularly care for. Though it’s not really to say they’re bad it’s more they haven’t aged well. You can tell the show was still trying to find it’s footing.

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

there's some clumsy stuff in Season 1 to be sure (especially the Jimmy rat storyline, ehhh) but it already has at least a handful of the greatest moments on television I could think of off the top of my head. which just goes to show the pure quality of the Sopranos even whilst finding its footing.

I think Season 2 evens it out a lot, and while there's not as many of those absolutely top-tier moments it also eliminates the weaker stuff and gives you the first very consistent season. also that last episode is an out-and-out classic and really set the tone for the entire rest of the show.

24. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i know it makes me a fanboy/girl but i genuinely don't know which season i'd call the worst. they're all so good. maybe one or two for the reason Morrisey said - they remind me a bit of why i didn't love Breaking Bad as much as some, because they're really trying to get so much done. once they moved away from the idea of seasons being restrictive storylines it elevates the show even further

oldjersey likes this.
  25. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I didn’t care for season 4 but season 5 was excellent television when I watched it recently