Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smiths Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 7, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I'm afraid to even click the link to read the story..... Can <anyone> be another Morrissey.... Does someone actually <WANT> to be one...?

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

as much as I love Lana yeah thats quite the stretch and a very odd comparison

truelovewaits likes this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

American Morrissey is def Kanye and I mean this lovingly and tenderly

SpyKi and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

King

Carrow and SlappinCups like this.
  7. Maverick

Trusted

I've liked How Soon Is Now? and Stop Me.. for quite some time but I've never really dove into their discography. Was looking at some greatest albums lists and decided to give The Queen Is Dead a try and it's fantastic! Love the title track and of course Bigmouth Strikes Again. Continuing to get into their other stuff and will report back with a top 10.

inkwisitive and SpyKi like this.
  8. blistersoul61

It's a space station!

The Queen is fantastic. LOVE Strangeways, their swan song. Later period is my fave.

Maverick likes this.
  9. Kuri44

Carrow and SpyKi like this.
  10. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

This actually works in this thread very well if you imagine it in Morrissey’s singing voice.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  11. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

He would complain about it much more douchey probably

Barresi likes this.
  12. JM95

Trusted

lastnightidreamtthatsomebodylovedme

13. inkwisitive

Regular

The Smiths were obviously brilliant, but I'd always said there's not a Smiths album I love all the way through - I think lots of people find there's a few duff tracks on each one, probably one of the reasons the compilation albums are held in such high regard. But The Queen Is Dead is the closest for me, and I just found out what the b-sides were from that era via the Spotify 2017 deluxe edition/remaster - man, what could've been! Imagine a tracklist like this:

The Queen Is Dead
    Cemetry Gates
    Frankly, Mr. Shankly
    Bigmouth Strikes Again
    I Know It's Over
    Some Girls are Bigger Than Others
    The Both With a Thorn in His Side
    There is a Light That Never Goes Out
    Rubber Ring
    Asleep

Just perfect front to back (other opinions are valid obvs)

14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Ditched Never Had No One Ever and Vicar in a Tutu, two incredible songs and added Rubber Ring? Nah.

It's funny The Smiths are one of the few bands where they don't have a single song on any of their studio albums that I don't love whereas I find the compilation albums and a lot of b-sides shaky in comparison. Of course they have some incredible b-sides too like Asleep but I find all of those work better separately than they would on any of their albums.

inkwisitive likes this.
  15. inkwisitive

Regular

Got a top 10 yet? Mine's pretty normie but I've got a playlist of about 30 songs where I could swap any out and the quality wouldn't dip. If I had to give it a go right now:

1. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
    2. I Know It's Over
    3. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
    4. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
    5. Ask
    6. The Queen Is Dead
    7. Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
    8. How Soon Is Now?
    9. Half A Person
    10. Asleep

16. inkwisitive Apr 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 19, 2021)
    inkwisitive

Regular

That's good to hear - I knew not everyone would feel the same way! When I think about it, Meat Is Murder is probably the album where the songs are elevated by listening to them as a collective, rather than just playing the individual songs.

Tbh I can't help but group Rubber Ring and Asleep together, just heard them like that too often. It even makes sense to me thematically, as the narrator in Rubber Ring is almost saying goodbye while contemplating the arrested development that artists are prey to in comparison to their fans, no matter how much they loved the songs (Asleep's also a farewell, if in a more final, morbid way).

I kind of like Never Had No One Ever, but it feels to me like I've heard the whole song before the halfway point, then it really drags coming after I Know It's Over, And I've never really got Vicar in a Tutu, or rockabilly Smiths/Morrissey in general - maybe Rusholme Ruffians at a push?

17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Asleep
    2. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
    3. I Know It's Over
    4. Miserable Lie
    5. There is a Light That Never Goes Out
    6. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
    7. Hand in Glove
    8. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
    9. Cemetery Gates
    10. Still Ill

I feel like this is one of the few bands I really love where I don't have a super clear top 10. The top 4 is probably the most stable.

inkwisitive likes this.
  18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I came to the conclusion recently that Strangeways is mad underrated

inkwisitive likes this.
  19. Maverick

Trusted

Oh yeah! I made a playlist of my favorites and this is a rough top 10 from those that I still listen to often.

1. How Soon Is Now?
    2. Bigmouth Strikes Again
    3. The Queen Is Dead
    4. Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
    5. The Headmaster Ritual
    6. London
    7. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    8. Rubber Ring
    9. This Charming Man
    10. Barbarism Begins At Home

inkwisitive likes this.
  20. inkwisitive

Regular

There’s some great songs but I feel it loses steam after Last Night I Dreamt.

Although I Won’t Share You is quite pretty.

21. emojedi

Trusted

1. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
    2. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    3. Still Ill
    4. Frankly Mr. Shankly
    5. You've Got Everything Now
    6. Reel Around The Fountain
    7. What She Said
    8. Nowhere Fast
    9. Shoplifters Of The World Unite
    10. Panic

22. emojedi

Trusted

Strangeways is incredible but I find it's the one album that I have to be in the mood for. The other 3 I can just put on whenever.

23. I haven't really been able to listen to this band for a while but Strangeways was always my favorite

coleslawed likes this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

What