Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smiths Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 7, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

beachdude42 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I don't blame Marr for having that animosity. Morrissey, despite being a fantastic lyricist and songwriter, is an asshat. Although Marrs not a saint either given how they both screwed over Mike and Andy.

4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

True. It seems like Marr and Andy are on at least somewhat good terms now given that he sometimes joins Marr when he does Smiths songs more recently.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah he joined Marr when I saw him, seeing Marr and Morrissey at the same venue years apart seemed fairly poetic

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Aaron Mook and Barresi like this.
  7. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

sophos34 likes this.
  8. Aaron Mook Dec 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 8, 2016)
    I've read Morrissey's, I should probably read Marr's next

edit: nevermind, i just read that article lol

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I wish they just did it for the fans and channelled that anger into one last incredible UK tour haha.

10. CoffeeEyes17

I'm listening to this band a lot lately and they are perfect.

Meat Is Murder gets a lot of shit as a album but I think it's just as perfect as the others. I like that it's a much more aggressive album compared to the others.

And of course a monthly reminder that this bands b-sides are better than your favorite bands album tracks

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Meat is Murder was my first Smiths album after a teacher in high school recommended it, and it was, at the time, not for me. Thankfully, Louder Than Bombs and the Queen is Dead brought me into the fold not long after, probably when I read the Perks of Being a Wallflower as a freshman.
    The Queen Is Dead is my favorite today, but I'm pretty sure if the next album I heard was self titled or Strangeways, that's what I'd call my favorite.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

13. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Nowadays, my kids talk of the emo trilogy of FOB. MCR and umm..... I forget the other one...

In the 80s, it was The Cure, The Smiths, and umm.... Echo?

14. CoffeeEyes17

im guessing your kids probably were referring to TBS since those 3 bands tended to tour/bicker with each other

id throw Joy Division in with The Cure and The Smiths as far as the gloomy sad goth rock 80s bunch goes.

15. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

The Smiths are my favorite 80s band.

I would say Sonic Youth or Fugazi but when I think about it, they released most of my favorite material of theirs in the 90s and early 00s. Basically all the Smiths 80s material is gold.

16. JM95

Trusted

I'd probably put Depeche Mode in ahead of Joy Division. Just personal preference.

17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The Smiths are very easily my favourite 80's band.

forever.home likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

thats fair too
    either them or The Cure its a close call

JM95 likes this.
  19. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

It was PATD.

20. CoffeeEyes17

The Smiths discography is tighter and has very very few dudes whereas The Cure have at least 2 albums I dont really dig but still they have like 11 quality albums plus a ton of really good b-sides as well as having Disintegration which may well be the best album of all time forever and ever amen

Depends on my mood too, if I'm feeling snarky or bitter or just want sappy humor and charm I'll hit up The Smiths and even Morrisseys solo stuff, but if I'm feeling a little more bummed or emotional or introspective or even whimsical I'll throw on some The Cure since they cover a lot of moods. I think The Cure also have the edge musically, not to downplay Marr, Rourke, or Joyce but The Cure have just covered so much more territory and I like that a lot.

21. CoffeeEyes17

22. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

the sad goth emo bands of my senior year of high school circa 1987.

Smiths, Cure, Siouxsie, Depeche Mode (sure), Joy Division (nee: New Order), Echo, Gene Loves Jezebel,

23. Sad Messiah

Regular

TBS are far more worthy of the 3rd spot than PATD

24. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

The Early November is a better emo band than any of those in this "trilogy" :-p

But I digress. That joke isn't funny anymore.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

One thing I love about the Smiths is that they create little worlds through immersive, vignette like lyrics, which is also why I appreciate a band like the Cure, who I always feel like create moods more than anything (does this make sense)