Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smiths Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Okay, you got me; it's my last day at work and I'm completely distracted by my EP release. If I had to put a Top 10 together, it would look something like this:

1. Asleep
    2. This Night Has Opened My Eyes
    3. The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
    4. Hand in Glove
    5. Back To The Old House
    6. Bigmouth Strikes Again
    7. Ask
    8. Girl Afraid
    9. William, It Was Really Nothing
    10. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

So, so many honorable mentions though. This is the definition of an impossible task.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think Meat is Murder is a great song and wouldn't even crack my bottom 10. I do think it's their weakest album though.

Also I'm kind of shocked to see Ask on so many peoples lists and to see it was their opening song for their last show. I've never really thought much of that song at all. It's fine but I think I like every song on their actual albums more.

3. SpyKi

My least favourite song by them is probably Shoplifters or Sweet and Tender Hooligan. Probably the only two songs they made I don't really like at all.

4. SpyKi

I'm actually surprised by the amount of songs that I'm not that in love with that are showing up on these lists. I guess that makes sense since I always see people saying LTB might be their favourite thing by this band and I've never been as in love with it outside of some standouts.

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Asleep or Meat Is Murder are my least favs but are still good songs.

Strangeways is my favorite album

This is my favorite band probably

6. CoffeeEyes17

I changed my avatar in honor of this band

7. I have never heard a Smiths fan call "Asleep" their least favorite track, damn that stings

8. CoffeeEyes17

It's a good song but I prefer many more to it

9. SpyKi

yo, this is almost as bad as FTank saying Three Cheers is just decent.

10. SpyKi

Asleep is so easily my favourite Smiths song and one of the best songs I've ever heard.

11. CoffeeEyes17

I'm sorry Jake forgive me I still like the song a lot and adore Three Cheers

12. SpyKi

This one's going to take a while, haha. I honestly had to read it a few times to even believe what I was seeing.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. SpyKi

Asleep is such a special song for me though, it's something I used to listen to during one of the hardest times of my life and it just takes me places. Magic song. So glad he didn't choose to sing about girls and how big their mothers are over that piano.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. SpyKi

At least you seem to have changed your position on The Smiths v The Cure, haha. That helps.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah The Cure have quite a few duds compared to The Smiths.

I mean, if we determine bands by how many songs you like, I like every single Smiths song and I can't really say that for anyone else except Motion City Soundtrack. Plus The Smiths music just means a lot to me. It's weird because I kind of hate Morrissey as a person haha

16. SpyKi

Yeah, I get you, that's a big reason MCR and Fightstar are my top 2. I think The Smiths are the only other band aside from MCR where I love every song on every album though. There's a few songs on LTB I don't care for but that's it. The fact that they were so consistent and so good is why they're always in my top 5. Plus Morrissey in The Smiths is up there with my favourite lyricists.

I think I'm a bit biased towards Morrissey because he meant so much to me when I was younger so I tend to be quite forgiving of a lot of the things he does. Obviously there's still shit he's done I think is ridiculous and not ok but I can't say I don't like him.

17. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah like, him and I have very similar beliefs and lifestyle choices, but he's just so fucking arrogant haha. But he's an incredible musician so I'll give him that.

18. SpyKi

His arrogance reminds me of Kanye in the way that it's both entertaining to watch for me to see just how ridiculous they can act and also they're so good at what they do it's not really shocking that they're arrogant. I love watching old videos of Smiths era Morrissey though, he's hilarious. Very quotable.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. SpyKi

I love The Queen is Dead so much.

20. SpyKi

I think about Cemetery Gates literally every time I go by/into a graveyard.

SamLevi11 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  21. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah exactly. Very similar.

22. CoffeeEyes17

It's so interesting watching old interviews and seeing the love between Marr and Morrissey. Andy and Mike just off to the side usually, content to be in the background

SpyKi likes this.
  23. blistersoul61

It's a space station!

Strangeways is perfect from start to finish. Probably the best "swan song" ever released by a band.

Love their entire catalog, Meat is Murder is probably my least favorite, but still love it. Think Hatful of Hollow my be one of the most perfect compilations ever released. I am old guy and remember buying the albums when they first came out. We had never heard anything like it before.

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want is my favorite standalone tune. Short, sweet, and beautiful.

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  24. CoffeeEyes17

Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want might have the best last minute of any song in history.

I wonder what The Smiths LP5 would've sounded like. They were flirting with more extravagant arrangements on Strangeways so maybe that would've been pursued. Morrisseys disdain of electronic/dance music would've stifled any electronic experimentation, which I think would've been great.

25. SpyKi

I'm sure it would have been amazing. I'm fine with them being a perfect 4 album band though. Perfect 4 album bands are the best.