Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smith Street Band - More Scared of You Than You Are of Me (April 7, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by VanMastaIteHab, Feb 13, 2017.

1. HueyLewis

Regular

Throw Me in The River was a fucking rough listen after a break up. Calgary Girls always hits me way too hard.

2. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Honestly, I'm a little bummed about the reception this record received. Or hasn't, rather. I am about half a year removed from expecting this to disappoint me after they released Death to the Lads and Birthdays as prerelease tracks and didn't love either. Now, I adore both tracks, with Birthdays being one of my favorite songs of the year, and both cuts being maybe the weakest on the album other than Suffer. There is literally no way this isn't my favorite of the year. It hits me the way '59 Sound did when it released while I was holed up in physical therapy for the most beautiful summer I've seen, and when On the Impossible Past leaked while I was alone in student housing during a blizzard stormed mid-winter.

This will be considered on the same level in time. It's too good. I can't wait for US dates.

Joe4th, sean_rugy and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  3. Shrek

Genuinely curious: have you spent some time with this, @Jason Tate? I may be way off base, but my time here since '04 leads me to believe this may be right up your alley. It took 6 or 7 spins for me. But idk, I'm just curious.

4. Seeing these guys on Tuesday in what is basically a dive bar in Dublin, SO FUCKING STOKED

electro haikus likes this.
  5. Shrek

I would literally murder you and embalm you for a few days while i shed the weight to wear your flesh like a coat and take over your life for a day if I could.

Not really, but I'd hug you and tell you I'm envious. Have fun. Request Drunk Pedestrian for me.

6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Really thought this would end up on more mid year lists, I just listened again yesterday for the first time in a few weeks and it's still stupid good.

7. Shrek

For real. It's this in number 1 and Lorde in number 2 for me, the rest is up for debate

8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah I have this lorde and Oso Oso as 1 A B and C because I'm weak and can't decide. Honestly I can't even pick a favorite track between birthdays , song for you, passiona, and it kills me to have to be alive

9. Shrek

We have similar tastes. Also I'm p sure you are the one who recommended Oso Oso to me in this thread. I love the latest but I've been more captured by Real Stories of True People, Who Kind of Looked Like Monsters since the rec. That's the level of intensity and earnestness that I think most pop punk bands have been missing for the last decade.

10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This is probably my #1 right now too. It's definitely the thing I've listened to most.

11. Shrek

It's so impressive. It retains the roughness of a stream of conciousness record(sometimes to a fault) but is so polished and loaded to the teeth with one-liners 26 year old me would put as my 12 year old's away messages. Just passion front to back. Wil is the most loveable guy and it's been a treat to follow their journey on social media since the record released. They are legitimate smash hits and entrepreneurs in Australia.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  12. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I didn't get into this as quickly as Throw Me In The River but it grew on me and definitely one of my favorite of the year so far

13. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

@electro haikus I wish I knew you loved this album so much. I would have geeked out with you. this album is high up there for me as well.

I saw them play Brooklyn last winter(?) at the last show of their tour. Wil's voice was so shot and he was so apologetic about it. Jeff Rosenstock took the mic and finished out the show with Wil. it was absolutely incredible.

14. sean_rugy

basically I need to move to Australia to see them and Ceres.

everyone in here should listen to Ceres.

Zac Djamoos and electro haikus like this.
  15. Shrek

@sean_rugy I wish the same. I hate to publicly launch a bunch of superlatives but this may be one of my top 10 favorite records. So many lines give me that "I wish I was good enough of a writer to express this" feeling. It really just slays me week after week and you can listen to Wil's writing and vocals, and hear his tale of Laughing or Pretending to Laugh and hear that it was basically one take.

Over Facebook I saw the story of a fan in Aus that really loves this band and how they gave him the experience of a lifetime and I legitimately want the best for them. As somehow who has come to grips with their anxiety and depression in the last year it's just too good. It really speaks to me.

sean_rugy likes this.
  16. Shrek

Also @sean_rugy, I will spend tomorrow listening to Ceres. Never heard of them.

sean_rugy likes this.
  17. sean_rugy

Drag It Down On You was my favorite album last year and they recently did a track with Wil.

Fletchaaa and electro haikus like this.
  18. Shrek

Well, that was really fucking good.

sean_rugy likes this.
  19. Setlist for tonight (holy fuck this was a good show):

Forrest
    Birthdays
    Ducks Fly Together
    Young Drunk
    Get High, See Mice
    I Don't Wanna Die Anymore
    The Arrogance of the Drunk Pedestrian (I had nothing to do with this)
    Shine
    Surrender
    Passiona
    Death to the Lads
    Throw Me in the River

I only listened to this band for the first time when More Scared came out and now I've fucking seen them live omg

JaytotheGee likes this.
  20. Shrek

Holy fuck, they played Get High, See Mice?!?!? I've longed to see that for three years, so jealous! Glad it ruled!

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Stoked to see that they play Forrest.

22. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Yessssssssssssss finally tour announcement

TOUR

HueyLewis and electro haikus like this.
  23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Dammit I'll be at Riot Fest when they're in Cleveland :(

Which is fine because I'll see them at Riot but need a headliner

24. Shrek

Looks like Brooklyn a few days before I turn 27. Hell yes.

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that's support i'm entirely uninterested with. ah well