Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smashing Pumpkins Reunion Is a Clusterfuck

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brett Buchanan, writing for Alternative Nation:

Original Smashing Pumpkins bassist D’arcy has sent Alternative Nation the following text message conversations she had with Billy Corgan in January, including his pitch to involve her as a guest like Steven Adler on Guns N’ Roses’ Not In This Lifetime tour.

They haven’t even officially announced their reunion yet and it’s already a drama filled mess.

2. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

She is the one making it a drama filled mess. Don’t make this a “White Man holding the female folk down” type of situation…

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The presentation of these text messages looks like a clusterfuck.

bd007h likes this.
  4. What the fuck are you talking about?

Joe4th, fenway89, Bryan Diem and 2 others like this.
  5. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. What a weird response.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. NitrateDawn

Regular

I know Billy's a bit of an asshole sometimes, but D'arcy's gone a bit off the deep end and I'm never inclined to believe what she says. In those texts Billy was clearly trying to be accommodating to her.

This band means so much to me and it makes me sad that all people will see is the drama, but at the same time maybe it gets people talking about them haha

7. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Some drama but sounds like they're still going ahead with the reunion.

Barely know anything about the band members tbh but the texts themselves seemed alright (from both sides) to me. If he hasn't seen her in 19 years and she hasn't performed in a long time then there's no doubt a rocky relationship to deal with. But yeah, hope they resolve it soon as this'll just be bad publicity otherwise.

8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

....How high are you right now?

fenway89 likes this.
  9. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I've had way more dramatic text exchanges with my girlfriend over what to do for dinner. Not sure what the point was of releasing these.

10. Jason Tate Feb 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2018)
    Seems to be Because Billy lied about what happened, from what I can gather.

fenway89 and Ryan like this.
  11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Maybe she wanted people to give her a chance/benefit given how it's the defacto reasoning to blame the woman for all.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I guess maybe I'm missing something? Genuinely not trying to be argumentative here. What would she be blamed for?

Maybe I missed a news story or I'm just being a complete dipshit here (both totally likely), but here's what I took from it: The band is reuniting. She wants to be all in but hasn't really played much in 19 years and there are concerns over an injury. The band seems receptive to that and wants her there, but they're also sort of putting a back up plan in place in case this enormous tour they're planning is too much of a sensory overload to come back to. Are you getting at people possibly blaming her ruining the reunion or something? I mean I get that she doesn't want people to think she's not into it when she so clearly is, but it doesn't seem like they're trying to shut her out of it.

13. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Billy Corgan is such a douche. Like it’s his goal in life to out douche Morrissey

Ryan, Dirty Sanchez and CSWAPPO like this.
  14. 3pointer

I'm with you. I sounded like Billy was trying to be totally sensitive to her situation. She has a gnarly past of drug problems. I see nothing wrong with how he was handling that and think billy has matured a lot..

15. 3pointer

Definitely has been in the past but seems a lot better then how he has been in the past..

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Connor

I’ll be honest i haven’t followed him as much the past few years

CSWAPPO likes this.
  17. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

18. Dirty Sanchez, CSWAPPO and fenway89 like this.
  19. Connor

Dirty Sanchez and Aaron Mook like this.
  20. CSWAPPO

Regular

What a goddamn mess. Jesus Christ, Man.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. And Morrissey is one of my favorites, so I'm not coming at anyone for liking The Smashing Pumpkins. But Billy has been tough to stomach for a long time now, and he hasn't made that any easier in recent years.

Essie, CSWAPPO and fenway89 like this.
  22. Connor

Yeah i totally agree with you. I love pretty much all of Morrissey’s music. I also enjoy Smashing Pumpkins a good amount but they both make it so hard

Aaron Mook and CSWAPPO like this.
  23. somethingwitty

Trusted

Just get Melissa Auf du Mar to replace here and call it a day. Melissa is the much stronger live performer anyway. Also, can we get Porcelina and Mayonaise back in the setlists asap?

CSWAPPO likes this.
  24. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This thread made me regret listening to Mellon Collie last week and falling in love with it again.

CSWAPPO likes this.