Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds/AFI Tour • Page 3

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Mar 1, 2019.

1. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

Holy moly I just won tickets to the Irvine date from KROQ. Saying I’m stoked would be an understatement

2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

333 GANG likes this.
  3. TMS2787

Trusted

AFIs set will be different each night.

333 GANG likes this.
  4. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Went last night to the Jones Beach date. Genuinely surprised by how many people were there to see Noel Gallagher. All 3 bands were great.

Maddy likes this.
  5. musicfan10

Trusted

How was the transition of afi to noel?

6. Mtlman1331

Trusted

Def a great show. Went on the first night and was pleasantly surprised at how great Pumpkins and Noel Gallagher were. AFI was good but no one cared honestly, so they kinda just stood there and played. But honestly great concert.

7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

NO DON’T SAY THAT

8. Mtlman1331

Trusted

Davey tried the first few songs, even went into the crowd to try and get the crowd going. The place was only maybe a quarter full when they went on and it was 7:00pm in a weeknight. Maybe they will have more luck on weekend shows or other cities but by the fourth song it turned into him just standing center stand holding the mic stand the rest of the set.

9. TMS2787 Aug 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2019)
    TMS2787

Trusted

The crowd clearly didn’t react to Noel like they did to AFI because AFI is the best and biggest band in the world and shouldn’t be opening for anyone. Ever. Except Coheed.

333 GANG and Cgarnsay like this.
  10. Phil507

Was a little different at Jones Beach. There was a dedicated group (and a few others) in the orchestra that were definitely there for AFI so I think that the band fed off that a bit better than the previous night.

11. musicfan10

Trusted

I love afi but thought this was a weird lineup to be on for them. I love Noel too

12. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Going Wednesday, super excited.

13. musicfan10

Trusted

What’s the pay for an opener of tour like this? Why wouldn’t afi just headline some club shows

14. Mtlman1331

Trusted

Most likely wanted this tour to play in front of a new audience, like a lot of bands, they are experiencing a declining fan base doing headliners etc, playing in front of the same fans. So they are doing some openers to play for new fans and hopefully gain some of those.

musicfan10 likes this.
  15. TMS2787

Trusted

Have you ever thought of going into band management? You seem to have some very good questions / ideas about what these bands should do. #NoShade

16. musicfan10

Trusted

Nope but don’t need your negativity get a life

17. TMS2787

Trusted

Where’s the negativity? I was simply asking if you ever thought of it. I have a life, but thanks for thinking of my life negatively.

18. Xpertguy5

Trusted

Lmao I love you musicfan10

19. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

They clearly want to play for more people. It seems like, logic?

ItsAndrew likes this.
  20. Phil507

AFI, like other bands such as Thrice, are caught in that weird limbo where a lot of people who might like them probably dismiss them since they were associated with the Warped Tour scene in the mid-00s. So I guess tours like this are a chance to establish themselves with a slightly more elite crowd and, to the point of the poster above, potentially gain some more fans rather than bank on those shitty nostalgia tours and having to share the stage with diarrhea-core bands like A Day To Remember, The Bled, etc.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

How dare you call The Bled diarrhea-core.

22. Phil507

I get all those bands mixed up (the shredding de-tuned cookie monster breakdown stuff) so I imagine I probably unintentionally group a legit band in there. Either way, what I meant to say is there is a reason AFI doesn't participate in shitshows like the Disrupt Festival.

23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm just giving you a hard time. You're entitled to your (wrong) opinion. The Bled is definitely not for everyone.

But they're one of the few bands from that era/genre that really stood out to me.

24. musicfan10

Trusted

I love circa survive and they were on disrupt

25. TMS2787

Trusted

I was on the thread earlier and I saw The Bled mentioned, I didn't have time to reply but i came back to say: “don’t you talk about The Bled like that!” But I was beat to it. Haha!

riotspray likes this.