Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Cyr (November 27, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Gianni

Trusted

Is he self-producing? I haven't really researched that.

SimpleMath1979 likes this.
  2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

favorite songs on cyr would be:

dulcet in e
    anno satana
    purple blood
    save your tears
    telegenix
    the hidden sun
    schaudenfreud

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Corgan self-produced this album yeah, but they've been putting his voice painfully high and dry in the mix since Zeitgeist. it gets painful to listen to, and I don't think he really needs more control over the band lol, for all intents and purposes this is a solo record

at this point in the game I basically listen hoping for a handful of great highlights (like "Being Beige" and "With Sympathy") rather than great albums. it's not really the way I like to engage with music, I'm all about optimism, but I can't get my hopes up with Corgan anymore

it's a shame because Oceania really does own and if they'd recorded an album in around '09 with some of that live material - like "As Rome Burns", "Gossamer" and "99 Floors" - it could've been absolutely incredible. but as ever Billy Corgan is his own worst enemy

SimpleMath1979, Mary V and Gianni28 like this.
  4. I'm currently listening to it and am underwhelmed so far. Except for the opening tracks, it sounds really bland and the songs blend together way too much. As similarly said above, I have a hard time telling the songs apart and it seems to lack dynamics a lot. I had the same feeling with Monuments to an Elegy from what I remember. But let's see what the second half brings before I make more judgements about this release.

Damien and Gianni28 like this.
  5. Gianni

Trusted

Working on this a few songs at a time, Dulcet in E and Anno Satana have stood out more so than Save Your Tears so far. Dulcet in E is actually quite pretty, and that one gets some of the most hate from what I read on other boards.

6. Yeah... I just finished it and there's very little I can imagine me return to. Purple Blood was the main standout of the second half.

SimpleMath1979 and phaynes12 like this.
  7. Nate_Johnson Nov 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 29, 2020)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Wyttch is a cool song but yeah this album completely blurs together.

SimpleMath1979 and bd007h like this.
  8. bd007h Nov 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 29, 2020)
    bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Eye is one of my favorite Pumpkins tracks, but hardly any of Cyr comes close to that level for me so far

SimpleMath1979, Orla and Gianni28 like this.
  9. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

My thoughts exactly.

SimpleMath1979 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I dig the record but there’s definitely some filler with interchangeable tracks. This would have made for a really solid 13 track LP.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This is my ideal cut:

1. Colour
    2. Cyr
    3. Dulcet
    4. Wrath
    5. Ramona
    6. Anno Satana
    7. Wyttch
    8. Starrcraft
    9. Purple Blood
    10. Save Your Tears
    11. Telegenix
    12. Schaudenfreud
    13. Minerva

12. I've been imagining Billy sing these songs for a good 10 mins, and I'm not sure I want to be in that alternate timeline.

13. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

lmaoooo

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This thing really clicked with me over the weekend, and I even had the thought that it could make a late run for AOTY for me. I think it’s that good.

Personally, I’ve been listening since the ‘90s, and I’ve never met a Smashing Pumpkins I didn’t really like. I’m not totally sure what all the hubbub is about with going synth heavy or being dance-y is all about - they’ve been all over the map most of their career, and even wildly jump around genres within albums sometimes. I dunno, this just sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins to me and I think it’s great.

15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is not the same band from the 90’s...

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I had no expectations, so it's whatever, but this is so inessential. The other guys might as well not even be there.

17. Maddy

Regular

I enjoyed this album...as most said there is some filler but the more I listen the more I enjoy it....I think if this was a debut album from a random band it’d be praised more for originality but w the name Smashing Pumpkins the expectation is a certain sound that is not the same...I think that’s a good thing though as they’ve been making music for 30 plus years

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yeah Dulcet is also a stand out for me, which is why I'm so surprised it's getting hate online. Billy even said in an interview that the label and management were fighting him not to release the song as a single.

19. manoverboard365

Trusted

I just made a cut down playlist and it's almost identical to yours, except mine has The Hidden Sun instead of Telegenix.

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

21. tomdelonge

Trusted

I dig this record

It’s too long, a lot of it is pretty samey, but there’s a buncha great songs, especially in the back half.

I’ll forever be fan of bat strat SP, but this album has a cool vibe and some great melodies. Works for me

22. manoverboard365

Trusted

23. tomdelonge

Trusted

I love this album

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

lol i'm so glad i'm not alone

only false note for me is "tyger tyger," and i have trouble remembering how "black forest black hills" goes, though musically it is a very sick midpoint between joy division "new dawn fades" and the cure "the figurehead"

25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

my edit:

the colour of love
    cyr
    dulcet in e
    wrath
    ramona
    anno satana
    birch grove
    wyttch
    starrcraft
    purple blood
    save your tears
    telegenix
    the hidden sun
    schaudenfreud
    minerva

i guess editing 20 tracks down to 15 isn't much of an edit but all of these songs are great. i also felt bad cutting "adrennalynne" and "haunted"