Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Singer-Songwriter/Folk Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Went with my wife & kiddos to see this guy play the other night for WPR’s Simply Folk concert. Loved his record and found out he’s actually from WI, so added bonus.

2. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

This falls into indie folk (but not really singer-songwriter), but Family and Friends released their debut album on Friday and it’s very good. It’s very much in the Typhoon, Local Natives, Lord Huron, etc sound

3. jdr2187

jdr2187

Love this album.

4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

So good! And he's a riot live. He had a fiddle and stand-up bass player and they all just killed it.

5. jdr2187

jdr2187

Been enjoying this Andy Jenkins album a ton.

6. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I've been really digging Van William's cd "Countries"

7. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I haven’t seen much talk of him on this site but I’m really excited for the new Gregory Alan Isakov record.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Oh man a new Isakov? Awesome. I'm seeing him in the fall a couple weeks before it's released it looks like.

waking season likes this.
  9. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Mad nobody told me about Damien Jurado before. So fucking excited to spend this winter diving into his discography

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

you are in for a treat

11. mationation

I think God's a painter

I don’t recommend stuff often but I had to say check out The Painted Desert by Andrew Osenga from this year. one of the most beautiful and moving singer-songwriter records I've heard. It's definitely in the gospel vein and I'm not religious but the stories and themes are universally resonant. it’s the closest thing that hits the Field Report Marigolden spot in it has that intangible quality of transcendence from such simplicity. I cried throughout and felt cleansed. check out the opening track “Beautiful Places” for a truck of feels:

coleslawed, wood&wire and Lucas27 like this.
  12. Lucas27

Trusted

Love seeing this mentioned here! This is in my top 5 of the year. Andrew Osenga is awesome. Be sure to check out Andy Gullahorn’s new album Everything As It Should Be for an album in a similar vein. They’re good friends with each other and Andrew Peterson (who’s a little bigger in the Christian scene and more explicitly Gospel centered).

mationation likes this.
  13. mationation

I think God's a painter

yea I know Peterson. I found him through Tenille Townes' Spotify playlist (I love the first five songs off Counting Stars, but the other stuff I've listened to from him has been too overtly gospel for my taste), then through some accidental wormhole while listening to him found this Osenga record. I'll check out that Andy Gullahorn record for sure. thanks brotha.

but yea The Painted Desert is just unreal. so much heart

Lucas27 likes this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

AP is my favorite songwriter ever but I can’t really imagine what it’d be like listening to him if I wasn’t a Christian. I think he’s objectively terrific, but his lyrics have helped shape my life in so many ways. Light for the Lost Boy has some songs you might like but it’s also pretty direct (top 5 album ever for me though).

Andy Gullahorn is more subtle and universal. Check his song “I Will” when you get the chance.

Those three along with Ben Shive (who produces AP’s albums) have been some of the biggest inspirations for me.

mationation likes this.
  15. mationation

I think God's a painter

AP is definitely tapped in in a way few singer-songwriters are. I haven't checked out too much from him besides Counting Stars and The Burning Edge of Dawn, and when he lands he fucking lands. I've been meaning to check out the rest of his discography starting with that one.

I tend to like the songs from him that are more storytelling and image based and have faith and love shown in addition to just told. but I definitely feel love and divinity shimmer off his voice and he moves me, and a lot of the universally spiritual ideas he sneaks in are next-level.

appreciate all the recs my fellow warrior of the light

Lucas27 likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

Then definitely check out Light for the Lost Boy dude. I think even the more explicitly spiritual stuff might not turn you off as much in the context of the narrative he tells there. It speaks to the universal theme of lost innocence and the innate longing for renewal that we all feel. It’s tremendous.

mationation likes this.
  17. zmtr

Trusted

This is so fucking good. She’s on the Donovan Woods album and I finally decided to look her up today. Her band rules as well.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The End of History by Fionn Regan is a perfect album. Listening for the first time in ages since it’s not on Spotify and man what a nostalgia trip. I love this album so much, especially in the dead of winter.

19. zmtr

Trusted

I fucking LOVE that album.but haven’t heard it since it’s been off Spotify. I need to get the vinyl badly

waking season likes this.
  20. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I almost forgot I had it on vinyl until I was going through my records tonight. Just a lovely album. Instantly takes me back to winter 2009-2010.

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If anyone's looking for a great cold winter album:

mesi likes this.
  22. zmtr

Trusted

This is hitting the spot. Thanks for this.

Craig Manning likes this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

Sorry this isn’t as convenient as a YouTube link but I hope at least one person here checks this out. The lyrics are strikingly beautiful

24. zmtr

Trusted

This is fantastic. Major Sufjan vibes. He's actually on Suf's label.

coleslawed likes this.
  25. mationation

I think God's a painter

recently discovered Tyler Lyle, who I love. he has the strong writing + transcendent and moving voice combo I'm always searching for: