Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Singer-Songwriter/Folk Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jun 7, 2017.

1. zmtr

Trusted

Like the country music thread, this thread is for all discussion/recommendations that fall under the singer-songwriter classification.

Smaller name artists often don't get their own threads so I figured this would be a good place to discuss them.

Live sessions encouraged!!

2. zmtr

Trusted

Found this the other day. This is absolutely crushing but all of her recorded music isn't my style at all. Wish she was doing this kind of thing full time.

3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Alright I'll throw my hat in the ring.... here's a couple

zmtr likes this.
  4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Old one, but a great one.

zmtr likes this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

One of the best songs ever written for my money. Believe or not, Michael Cera does an amazing version of this. It sounds like Bon Iver almost

6. zmtr

Trusted

I seriously love this.

Ben Lee likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I kind of just post everything in the country thread now, haha. Here are some of my favorites from last year that are probably closer to singer/songwriter than country:

And then there's my favorite guy:

zmtr and jdr2187 like this.
  8. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Anyone ever listen to Vigilantes Of Love? Bill Mallonee has to be up there as one of the most underrated songwriters.

zmtr likes this.
  9. Dave Diddy

David Ramirez and Noah Gundersen are both semi-popular on this site but just in case someone wanders into this thread and doesn't know either of them....

coleslawed, Craig Manning and zmtr like this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

One of my favorite videos on the internet. Fables doesn't get nearly enough credit..

He's officially my favorite person to drink with too haha.

11. Dave Diddy

Man I love Fables so much. His older stuff is great as well, but to me he took a big step up on Fables

12. zmtr

Trusted

I would pay any amount of money for an album from the both of them together.

Their voices are perfect together.

13. Craig Manning

I've been listening to "Stick Around" a lot lately. Fables is his best record, but that might be my favorite song of his.

14. Dave Diddy

Oh yeah I love Stick Around, might also be my favorite song of his but Fables as a whole definitely is his best

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. Lucas27

Trusted

So this guy's name is Michael Frommack and his project, The Sun Kite, is so good. No Fire was my personal AOTY last year. Nothing groundbreaking, just gorgeous indie folk music that's about as good as it gets.

No Fire

Really, really interested in hearing people's thoughts. It has so many of the elements I love about Sufjan, Copeland, and mellow From Indian Lakes. Also, he has only 600 fans or so on Facebook. No one knows about him.

16. Dave Diddy

Yeah I like that. Reminds me a LOT of Sleeping at Last

Lucas27 likes this.
  17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Luke Scott Macmaster just put out a new solo album that's pretty great. He had a band called The Romany Rye for a little while, which was also a singer-songwriter/americana feel. before that he played guitar in the rock revival band The Colour.

18. jdr2187

jdr2187

I went and saw Joan Shelley and Jake Xerxes Fussell last night so I figured I'd throw a rec out there for those two. Both put out new albums this year that I highly recommend as they are two of my favorites from this year. Also Shelley's tune Where I'll Find You is just one of the prettiest songs I've heard. Also worth noting I guess that her new album was produced by Jeff Tweedy.

zmtr likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

Hey @zmtr, have you heard Halloween by Ruston Kelly? Feel like you'd be a fan:

zmtr likes this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

Woah.. I hadn't heard of him before but I loved this song. Gonna listen to his whole album now.

Hurry up and finish your record btw. I'm putting one out before the fall myself!

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

The Unfortunate Kind is so good. Barham is very hit or miss for me for the most part, but that song blew me away.

22. Craig Manning

Big Ryan Adams vibes from his record. He's also the future Mr. Kacey Musgraves, but I didn't hear her on any of his songs.

Nice! I'm so close to getting it done, ha. Hoping to finish tracking tonight.

He's hit or miss for me too. Neither Wolves nor his solo record made my EOTY lists from the past two years, but they both had songs that I really, really loved.

zmtr and jdr2187 like this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

love this

coleslawed likes this.
  24. Dave Diddy

Northcote: Related Artists - Chuck Ragan, Dave Hause, Brian Fallon

Zander Hawley: Related Artists - Noah Gundersen, Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker

Todd Lewis Kramer: RIYL - Nashville sounding singer/songerwriters

zmtr likes this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

Enjoyed all of these. Especially the 2nd one. You nailed the RIYL