Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Simpsons (Fox) TV Show • Page 20

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Soooo Lisa's been getting flack by shitty people on twitter today

2. Philll

Trusted

Y'all need a dedicated steamed hams thread.

3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

There was an article from like HuffPo or Vox just absolutely trashing the entire show because it got appropriated by the assholes of the Republican party. Funny, because anyone who actually watched the show knows how much Groening would regularly gut the Republican party.

MexicanGuitars and Serh like this.
  4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

5. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

You’d have to be pretty fucking stupid to think this show leans republican.

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

MexicanGuitars and suicidesaints like this.
  7. Philll

Trusted

Just gimme hibbert punching through the photo frame

Richter915 likes this.
  8. flask

Trusted Supporter

This is it this is the best one.

9. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

so close, right as the best one is posted

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen Apr 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, shit. Turns out they had a response to the whole "Problem With Apu" thing, and they fucked it up. Most I've been let down by this show in forever

incognitojones and OhTheWater like this.
  12. Serh Apr 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2018)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Like, no one would lose respect for the current Simpsons writers and showrunners if they acknowledged and owned up to the obvious issue here. Even making a meta joke of sorts would have been a million times better

Fuck this

13. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Wonder if FOX had anything to do with this

14. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I don't give them any benefit of a doubt, what a shitty, lazy, dismissive way to address legitimate criticism

Serh likes this.
  15. Serh Apr 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2018)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

The fact that it was Lisa saying it makes it that much worse

16. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I don't know. I'm brown, I grew up with the show, I got called Apu etc. Never got mad at the show.

This is very different though. This bit is the show saying it's by white people, for white people, brown people go back to being the quiet model minority.

That sucks

OhTheWater and incognitojones like this.
  17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

That was very disingenuous and shitty of them to do that, I’m honestly truly disappointed as a fan that they did that.

Richter915 likes this.
  18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

19. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

What a shitty thing to force feed the most liberal character on the show. You could have done a zillion things to do this respectfully while still not axing the Apu character. Even that dumpster fire Roseanne could have played this off better.

incognitojones likes this.
  20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

They needed to fly in Matt and trey for this one

21. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the clip like...this is moving into the shitty south park territory of "we say it like it is because we're a bunch of basement trolls nyahhhh". Sad.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've been watching King of the Hill a lot recently and man, Kahn is a pretty bad character in the same vein as Apu, right?

EDIT:
    Reading more into it, I guess he does show up a lot to show the ignorance and stupidity of many of the white characters rather than simply being a punchline.

23. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Lol just saw your edit...ya exactly he fucking hates everybody in Arlen and makes it known. Had he been the quiet laundromat guy...then ya. In one of the first episodes (the first episode?) they confront it when Dale thinks they kidnapped Ladybird to eat her only to find he's wrong...and then Minh getting grossed out that Peggy cooks rabbit stew.

However, I don't know who does Kahn's voice acting so that is always an issue.

I have a bigger issue with his relationship with Kahn Jr and her character fulfilling the stereotype. It fulfills a lot of the tropes white America thinks about Asian households and young Asian American students. At the same time, they poked fun at it in the episode where she wants some ivy league summer internship or something but she falls victim to "reverse racism" as the program has too many Asians. Actually, that episode really hits home for me looking back haha.

24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Can we keep talking about KOTH forever please?

Richter915 likes this.
  25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.