Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DarkHotline, Mar 27, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

The aggressive part makes sense, that's what i liked about the MBV track -- it played with noise and aggression more than the dream pop tracks did and it helped make it more dynamic for me.

That's an interesting distinction to make, and it seems like songwriting would suffer if it isn't the point. But maybe the texture and tone is supposed to drive the song's intent more than the actual melody? Which makes sense, not that different from valuing lyrics over instrumentation. I think these are the kind of genres I'd be comfortable using interchangeably until I got a better handle at identifying certain sonic qualities better.

2. Horrorca

Trusted

well that's xxi c music in a nutshell - obsession with texture/timbre

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

possible dumb question, what's xxi c music?

4. Horrorca

Trusted

twenty first century music

my spelling sucks

5. Horrorca

Trusted

we've got noise drone hip hop classical even pop (anco) just exploring that

there's rythm too, but hip hop basically already owns that so...

TEXTURE

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Ah, gotcha. In general I'm not super drawn to music that is exploring just texture. Not that I don't like it, but texture by itself or at the forefront isn't as immediate and takes "work" (for lack of a better word) to click with me. Usually just means repeated listens are necessary for me to really appreciate it. I hadn't noticed an overarching trend like that though, interesting. Maybe I like texture heavy stuff more than I'd noticed.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

8. Just got a bunch of recs on facebook, gonna have to make a list along with some of the bands/albums mentioned in this thread

9. Gooddayz

always and forever

h8bit likes this.
  10. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Twilight Sad?

11. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah

I mean, melody, harmony and rhythm have been explored comprehensively, timbre is a more exciting prospect I guess haha

plus texture focused music is awesome

12. Horrorca

Trusted

this is sick

their best and most overlooked

13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

14. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Awesome, haven't heard of any of them. Diving in after work.

15. cwhit

wildhoney is one of the best locals, really amazing band. and mercury girls blew me away live, members of literature

16. Barlow

These locals deserve a lot of love. They just released a new EP last week; I covered their first full-length on AP and their singer released a 40-track solo album and a 50-track Guided By Voices tribute album last year alone. In short, they never stop. All of their music is pay-what-you-want on Bandcamp. May be more noise pop than anything else, but there are certainly shoegaze and dream pop influences at play.

Album thread: Album - Barlow - Every Time I Saw Him EP (July 15, 2016)

17. Re: shameless self-promotion

My band just released our debut single, "Sunflowers," from our upcoming EP, "Hypnausea," which will be released next Friday. It's a little more psychedelic and jangly, but we went for some shoegaze/dream-pop vibes and I think some of you will enjoy it. Mastered by @stillbrazy .

Bandcamp (free download): Sunflowers, by Flower Crown
    Facebook: 需要安全验证
    Twitter: @flwrcrwnband

Feel free to give this a listen or a share if you enjoy it and let me know what you think! I've been so excited/nervous to share it with everybody here, haha.

edit: not sure why the facebook link appears japanese, but i ship it

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Really dig it, so dreamy.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Horrorca

Trusted

really nice- heavy Real Estate vibes

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. Thanks a lot guys. The good news is, there's two other songs on the EP I like even more than this, so I'm really excited to share those with people.

Real Estate, Mac DeMarco, DIIV and Tame Impala were probably our biggest influences.

21. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. cwhit

Kindling is a good band

23. Are there any shoegazy bands with hardcore/screamo tinged vocals?

24. ChicagoBowls Aug 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 3, 2016)
    ChicagoBowls

!!!!