Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DarkHotline, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Sophos

Regular

the new diiv album is awesome, that mtv article i read about indie rock being dead because the new diiv album (and porches album) sucks was one of the worst peice of music journalism ive read all year, and trust, there has been some abysmal articles this year.

2. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh man I can't get into the porches album at all though.. His voice just doesn't mesh with me. But either way that's just a flat out ignorant statement to make

3. Sophos

Regular

the premise was that people dont care about white male struggles which hey, if people dont care about heroin addiction and recovery (what the diiv album is about) then i guess they dont care about me!

4. Gooddayz

always and forever

What the heck? That's so messed up.. Heroin addiction is not something to take lightly, regardless of race or gender. So basically they bashed the content of the album and then declared indie rock is dead? Who's writing this? Geez

5. reid

@joemochas

This whole thread just makes me miss the old Starflyer59 stuff.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Gooddayz

always and forever

@reid I've heard a lot about Starflyer 59, but I've yet to listen to them. They have a pretty big discography

7. reid

@joemochas

they've been around a long time. hell, that silver album that song is from came out in 1994. Been releasing music since 1993 and his last release was a 7" single last year. Jason Martin really jumps around from genre to genre, so there's something for everyone!

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Loved Everything Else Matters, and was curious of this too.

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This needed a bump. Anybody got any good recs to share? Got around to listening to the new Diiv, digging it.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

white lung album fits in here to a point, though it's more dreamier punk

12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

also pity sex came out but there's been so many better things i haven't cared to listen

13. cherrywaves

Trusted

New Pity Sex is their best material yet, big fan.

Would True Widow count? It's probably more on the sludgy side of things but their 2011 record is awesome

14. Horrorca

Trusted

recently been enjoying this one quite a bit

DarkHotline likes this.
  15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Love me some RDS

16. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

17. Aaron Mook Jun 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 10, 2016)
    Been listening to plenty of shoegaze and dream/jangle pop lately, almost finished with a hazy project of my own with Richie from Frame and Mantle caled Flower Crown. We're shooting for a digital release this summer and a limited vinyl run in the fall. So stoked! Haha

DarkHotline likes this.
  18. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

DarkHotline likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

What makes shoegaze and dream pop what they are? Like, in listening to the stuff on the OP, I don't hear enough sonic differences to make me want to differentiate between the two as separate genres, and they're so often talked about in the same breath (this thread for example) that i can't imagine the difference really being that huge. I don't particularly care to pigeon hole things into one thing or another anyway, but understanding why things are considered what they are is fun to me. The dream pop stuff sort of seems more upbeat, I think? But they both often sound like indie after taking benzos imo. Really enjoyed the My Bloody Valentine track and Lush in particular.

20. Horrorca

Trusted

I'd say

shoehaze is mainly driven by gtrz + pedals and seek a wall of sound - aggressive yet melodious

dream pop seems to be less saturated sonically

???

maybe

21. Horrorca

Trusted

and even the lightest MBV jams are somewhat aggressive to me

22. Cody

I mean, I would say that shoegaze is a bit more abstract than dream pop, a bit more focused on texture/tone/effect as opposed to dream pop which is much more overt in its focus on melody/song structure.

23. Horrorca

Trusted

in their own way, obvi

srry 4 the triple post

24. Cody

They're definitely overlapping. I guess I would just call shoegaze effects/texture first, melody second, and then the opposite for dream pop.

25. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah that seems "right"

shoehaze is timbre first