Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DarkHotline, Mar 27, 2016.

1. DarkHotline Mar 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2016)
    DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Let's get dreamy, yo!

"What is shoegaze?"

"What is dream pop?"

DISCLAIMER: Regarding Whirr and Nothing.

A little note to read before you post, we in the thread would prefer that you not discuss either Whirr or Nothing in here. You can read an article that explains the Whirr issue here. Nothing has association with Whirr due to their bassist Nick playing in both bands. Understand that this is not to tell that you cannot listen to those bands or will be judged if you do, what you listen to is your business. We just ask that those bands are not part of the discussion in here, that's all.

2. Sophos

Regular

heaven or las vegas is one of the best albums ive ever heard in my life

Jason Tolpin and DarkHotline like this.
  3. Sophos

Regular

DarkHotline likes this.
  4. DarkHotline

There's this Australian guitar player I watch videos of that shows you how to play that Cocteau Twins guitar style, such a great chord progression.

5. DarkHotline

So what are the essential shoegaze/dream pop records? Figured that could be discussed and I could add it to the OP.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is prob a top five song this year

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Finally listened to the new Wildhoney EP: super awesome.

Really enjoying The Mites. They kinda sound like Lush, and features members of Iron Age (RIP) I believe: themites.bandcamp.com

8. cwhit

Wildhoney is sick, great locals

9. cwhit

Beach House has to be mentioned as the peak of modern dream pop

elphshelf likes this.
  10. DarkHotline

This is solid, any albums worth looking into?

11. DarkHotline

So if you're looking for new stuff to look into, check out Japanese Shoegaze on Youtube. Really good stuff in there, it's how I got into Plastic Girl In Closet.

musick likes this.
  12. DarkHotline

Really digging The Mites, good rec!

13. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

This album is great. Thanks for the rec!

14. cwhit

Both their last two are great, nothing sucked me in as much as that song though, I've listened to it a billion times this year already haha

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

does turnover count?

16. cwhit

no
    They're a pop punk band with reverb on their guitars

phaynes1 likes this.
  17. jorbjorb

7 rings

alright sorry haha

18. h8bit

whirr came up on spotify the other day and i was enjoying it until i remembered they did that awful twitter bullshit last fall and got dropped from RFC :l

19. cwhit

fuck whirr fuck nothing, let's never mention their names in this thread ever again

phaynes1 likes this.
  20. h8bit

you got it, chief

21. cwhit

last words, that band just makes me angrier than most mostly because of all the backlash i got from talking about that incident on other places on the internet, that i don't even feel comfortable posting on anymore because of that. sigh

phaynes1 likes this.
  22. h8bit

My experience with this genre is elementary at best so I'm not always certain where to find new stuff so unfortunately a lot of really common names come up on spotify. Sorry to de-rail. Carry on with the good recs! Been jamming to grandfeathered all day @cwhit

Awksome likes this.
  23. jorbjorb

7 rings

i listened to whirr and it sounded like poop/title fight. is this shoegaze? kinda sounds like if turnover was constipated.

h8bit likes this.
  24. h8bit

i have to ask the "is this shoegaze?" question more often than i care to admit <_<

jorbjorb likes this.
  25. DarkHotline

I honestly still listen to Nothing despite the controversy and was going to post their new video in here. However, I do acknowledge the discomfort that band brings up in people so I won't talk about them either in this thread, much less Whirr.