Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shins - Heartworms (March 10th, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Cody, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's great front to back. Give it shot, lots of fun stuff on here.

sophos34 likes this.
  2. I think it's great. Wincing is one of my all time favorites and the other three aren't far behind so I'm not really interested in comparing right now.

sophos34 likes this.
  3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

chutes will always be an all timer for me, album is massively important for me got me through a lot a few years back. all the others are fucking great obviously though. port was huge and i really do think im liking this one more

teebs41 and jordalsh like this.
  4. Yeah there isn't one bad Shins LP

dylan and jordalsh like this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Picked this up on a whim when I was getting Sampha yesterday cause @sophos34 tweeted about it and the art is awesome. Hope it's a good one.

sophos34 and jordalsh like this.
  6. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Excited to listen to this but haven't loved anything in full since Chutes. To me there's prob like ten awesome songs between Wincing and everything after.

7. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Hearworms (the album) is an ear worm i love this

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I've never listened to The Shins much before, but I'm really enjoying this album. Definitely makes me realize I have a lot of catching up to do.

9. DooDooBird

Trusted

Man, I agree so much. I can listen to Chutes from beginning to end. The albums afterwards... just can't do it. But there are a selection of tracks I do like a lot. It's Only Life, Turn On Me, and a few others.

10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I love everything from Oh Inverted World through Wincing, but I shrugged at Port of Morrow, and my initial reaction to this is basically the same. Hopefully it grows on me.

GrantCloud likes this.
  11. I'm finally getting around to listening to this and I'm digging it. One of the few albums I've actually enjoyed this year.

12. Iago

forbidden chalice.

First time listening to them, they give me the weird Beatles vibe. Dig it.

13. pretty good p4k review: The Shins: Heartworms Album Review | Pitchfork

I agree with the observation that this album feels very insular, and I see where the Inverted World comparisons come in there. I also like the "Dead Alive"/"One by One All Day" thing. I'll always feel disdain for the opinion that the first two albums are somehow more magical than the others, but there's no escaping that haha. I feel like they're settling into a very good career state. Honestly, I'll take a new Shins album every five years until forever haha.

yessssss did you start with this one?

14. Iago

forbidden chalice.

yea!! Scrolled through the Music forum, saw this was out, and decided to play it. Pretty good. I'm on the closer rn.

15. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Damn, blows my mind that people don't know the Shins. Better late than never!

16. I'm jealous! so much good music to listen to

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah its pretty clear that this one was pretty much JUST james... i know it almost always is but its like exceedingly obvious here whereas port was kind of a "big" sounding album with a full band. idk something about this just has the feel that it was james alone just making music, like oh inverted world

jordalsh likes this.
  18. irthesteve Mar 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 22, 2017)
    irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Mildenhall is a really cool song, that and So Now What are probably my favorites here

19. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Nothing's really connecting with me yet but I haven't heard the whole thing, is there a catchy jam I'm missing?

Edit: Name For You will do just fine

20. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I really am not connecting with this.
    Loved Port of Morrow but this sounds like someone trying to make a Shins album. ha

Kind of a bummer :(

21. irthesteve

22. irthesteve

23. DooDooBird

Trusted

Wow. The flipped version of Name For You sounds like trash. However, Cherry Hearts was enjoyable.

24. yessss

the fear is one of my fav songs of the year

25. irthesteve

Yeah, Name For You actually came out a while back, and I do agree that it's not that great haha. BUT I find the whole project super interesting and a cool idea in general