Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shins - Heartworms (March 10th, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Cody, Aug 14, 2016.

1. title track makes me so happy

2. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

This is really, really fun. Loving Fantasy Island, Mildenhall, and the last three tracks. It's no POM, but it's still really good.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Pretty cool overall, not an initial love overall, but the second half comes together really well

4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

This is extremely fucking good

jordalsh and dylan like this.
  5. sophos34 likes this.
  6. jordalsh Mar 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2017)
    anyone notice that the wincing and heartworms covers have similar compositions? i.e. a face in the upper right hand corner, sort of a diagonal divide in the middle (where "heartworms" is).

I just like it ha

also, two videos for two versions of "Name For You"

sophos34 likes this.
  7. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

surprised more people aren't talking about this. it's super good. way different than port of morrow. the closer is an early favorite but i don't think there was anything on here i didn't like.

jordalsh likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Super glad so now what is on this that's my favorite shins song

9. irthesteve

Their show last night was really fantastic, excellent live band

jordalsh likes this.
  10. This is easily my least favorite Shins album in years. Was wondering why no one was talking about it, now I know.

Jim likes this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

id take it over port tbh. only song i didnt like was like the slow folksy one somewhere in the middle. everything else was super engaging to me.

12. irthesteve

Super interesting "flipped" version. I read up a bit more on what that means, and it seems the whole album may exist in this "flipped" version.

sophos34 likes this.
  13. irthesteve

Also, you can flip back and forth between the two versions/videos here: The SHINS

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

completely alt versions of these songs would be pretty interesting. the songs are already pretty interesting, lots of stuff hes never done under the shins name here.

15. irthesteve

I don't neccesarily like the flipped version of Name For You, but it is certainly unlike anything I've heard from him in The Shins or even Broken Bells. Would be very interested to hear more

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

oh i prefer the album version for sure but im always down to hear alternative takes even though i almost always prefer album versions. its just cool to hear artists flip their own stuff in new and interesting ways. just kind of shows the songwriting process is so fluid things can go a thousand different directions but always end up at one final one. idk the process of making music has always been a huge interest of mine (obviously....thats what im trying to do with my life haha)

irthesteve likes this.
  17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

like sometimes ill have a drum loop....make the skeleton of a song around it....then delete everything but the drum loops and try again and end up in a whole new place and vibe. just crazy how many possibilities there are in writing.

18. irthesteve

Somewhat similar, but I have always been intrigued with the idea of taking a song, then turning the chorus from that song into the verse of a new song. Somewhere I read about an artist doing that (no idea who), and it really made me wonder.

sophos34 likes this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I need to check this out, seems to have mixed reception

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

kind of related but one of the things that made prince such a pop genius was that he would make his verse melodies very similar or sometimes exactly the same as his chorus, but kind of in a sneaky way. thats why the entirety of so many of his songs are ridiculously catchy, not just his hooks

21. irthesteve

I love that, very cool

sophos34 likes this.
  22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Or you could be like the chain smokers and make every single one of your songs sound exactly the same front to back, including structure. ESPECIALLY structure. Intro - verse - pre chorus and/or chorus - drop - rinse and repeat

jordalsh and ChiliTacos like this.
  23. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

You forgot mini second verse, otherwise spot on

sophos34 likes this.
  24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Also as someone who just recently came around to this band's entire discography in a serious way, I'm nervous to listen to this. Neither "Dead Alive" nor "Name for You" have left an impression on me, and it doesn't seem to be getting a ton of super heavy praise. At least Jake likes it, that's something

sophos34 likes this.
  25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Dead Alive is the only track on here I'm not a fan of.