Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shape Of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, December 8,2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 15, 2017.

1. drifting

I saw this movie back in December and loved it! All about that magical realism in film

Raku likes this.
  2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Caught this a couple weeks ago and really liked it!

I’m trying to see all the best picture noms before the Oscars. This is my favorite at the moment. Still need to see 3 billboards, Darkest Hour, and Call Me By Your Name.

Raku, Dodger and aoftbsten like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

You only need to see one of those. It has Armie Hammer in it.

4. Greg

I just got out of Three Billboards... it was fantastic!

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I was really not a fan of that.

Call Me By Your Name on the other hand could win best picture and I'd be very satisfied.

5Stories and Dog with a Blog like this.
  6. Greg

I enjoy movies with broken people making poor choices seeking justice and redemption.

The premise for that one just doesn’t really interest me... which is why I’ve put it off for so long. Now I need to either find it online or travel as it’s left my local theaters.

7. audio.file

I loved this movie! He is a true artist

Raku likes this.
  8. flask

Trusted Supporter

It comes down to this and CMBYN for me.

9. Dog with a Blog

I gotta be honest, while I enjoyed this as I was watching it, I haven’t thought about it once since I’ve seen it. It’s a very stylish and well made production, but it’s so empty and offers almost nothing new for me to chew on. I’m actually pretty amazed at how many accolades this is up for that don’t have to do with aesthetics. I just can’t vouche for a movie that does absolutely nothing surprising on a narrative level when movies like Phantom Thread, A Ghost Story, and CMBYN came out in the same year.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

As I’ve said,, Lady Bird is my personal favorite but hoping for Shape of Water to win Best Director and Picture since it has the better chance

drifting likes this.
  11. drifting

Lady Bird is incredible. I'm a huge Greta Gerwig fan-- so glad she's getting into directing now

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know people are gonna be mad but I'm so proud of GDT, the purest man alive

13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

in a year of some incredibly deep an nuanced films, i really just can’t believe we’re awarding the beast allegory that comes close to saying a few things and ultimately says nothing at all. it will age poorly.

14. OotyPa Mar 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 5, 2018)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I find this film to deeply resonate with me as a creator and a writer. Leaving this movie, I felt a great relief of certain fears I’ve had regarding my own relationship to art and my creativity. This movie made me unafraid of myself, of my imagination, and compelled me to locate, treasure, and utilize my inner weirdness- if that makes sense. I understand people watch this movie and see it for the story, but to me this movie is like a beautiful painting in motion— like a childhood dream realized on screen. Its more than the allegory— its Sally Hawkin’s muted lead performance, Alexandre Desplat’s sweeping and strange score, the sinister industrial setting, the concept of love unifying two entirely different-yet-somehow-similar creatures of the universe, Michael Shannon’s cartoonish portrayal of evil, and its reluctance to be pigeonholed to a single genre. Its an entirely original creation and its inspired me quite a bit which is why I’m happy with it winning.

15. ^^^this post was big with Chases

Raku, Zilla, ChaseTx and 1 other person like this.
  16. ^^^this post was big with Chases

Raku, coleslawed, Chase and 1 other person like this.
  17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I’m so happy Guillermo got his due rewards, the man is a cinematic gift.

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I also think it’s important that a Mexican immigrant won the biggest Oscar of the night

19. Lucas27

Trusted

Lol. If the Chases had liked this post, it would have been a never ending loop of Chase-liked posts.

Raku and gonz (Alex) like this.
  20. Anthony_ Mar 5, 2018
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Fourth time since 2013 that a Mexican director has won it

EDIT: I meant Best Director

Raku likes this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Lol wow, i guess i didnt realize

22. Anthony_ Mar 5, 2018
    Anthony_

Yeah Cuaron won in 2013 and Inarritu won in 2014 and 2015

EDIT: I meant Best Director

Lucas27 and ChaseTx like this.
  23. I was prepared to go all the way

coleslawed, Lucas27 and Anthony_ like this.
  24. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Except McQueen won in 2013 and McCarthy won in 2015?

Inarritu and Cuaron were both nominated for best picture in 2013 and 2015 but didn’t win.

25. Anthony_

I clearly thought @OotyPa was talking about Best Director. jfc.

Also McCarthy wasn't a producer on Spotlight, so you're wrong, he didn't win either.