Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shape Of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, December 8,2017) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 15, 2017.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Raku and Joe like this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Watched this yesterday. Loved this film. Very strange, whimsical, and poetic which is right up my alley. I’d like to see some more takes on the themes and meanings of different symbols throughout the movie like the last page of this thread

coleslawed and Raku like this.
  3. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

finally got to watch this and plain and simple it's just a very nice movie. sweet scenes and terrific preformances all around.

Raku likes this.
  4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

This got 13 Oscar nominations yesterday, one shy of tying the record for most ever.

Raku likes this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

Saw an interview with Del Toro where he said he saw Creature of the Black Lagoon when he was 6 and thought it was a love story, which is how this concept was created for him. Really cool.

Raku, Aaron Mook, coleslawed and 7 others like this.
  6. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Saw this again tonight and I'm fully on board with this winning every damn award. Definitely top 5 of last year for me.

coleslawed, Raku and jkauf like this.
  7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Can't wait for it to come out in the UK. Dying to see this.

Raku likes this.
  8. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Just saw it and loved it. Shannon and Hawkins were excellent as always.

Missed it when it came to a theater a slight drive, but noticed this morning it was at my preferred theater so decided to just go.

Raku likes this.
  9. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

An absolute masterpiece

Raku likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

I turned it off when the main character started singing in the musical, but I soldiered through it the next day. It is a completely incompetent mess, with characters that would be too over-the-top and cliched for a comic book. The villain should have had a mustache to twirl, and the whole "she can't talk but she can communicate with the fish man" is such a painful attempt at hitting the audience over the head with its themes. Just like Pan's Labyrinth, del Toro sets it in the past primarily to let the audience know who the heroes and villains are without the characters or plot doing the heavy lifting. But Pan's Labyrinth had striking imagery; the fish man is just silly.

5Stories and primavera like this.
  11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It's a fantasy film.

coleslawed, Raku and fenway89 like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

What does that have to do with anything? You don't become immune to criticism by soaking yourself in a genre.

5Stories likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Damn, I felt this movie to be incredibly imaginative and, in all honesty, pretty powerful. It's whimsical yet brooding; assertive with its magical realism, yet doesn't have its head up its ass. This film could have totally been all drama tinged with horrific fantastical imagery, but del Toro wanted this to harken feelings one might encounter in a childhood dream. del Toro even said he had conceived the idea when he was a child. It's a tall tale for adults, not meant to be meticulously picked apart.

coleslawed, Raku and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Sorry to interject, but any film is meant to be picked apart. It’s the basis for critical study.

5Stories and primavera like this.
  15. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

it isn't even something entirely fixed to film. it extends to music, art, books, etc. do you refrain from critiquing an album because "it's a pop album?" that's ludicrous.

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

No film, or any piece of art is above criticism. Critical thinking and analysis plays in important role in growing art and exploring new ideas. Though I don't think the same levels of criticism should be applied equally to all types of art. For example, I wouldn't apply the same level of critical analysis to Apocalypse Now that I would to Piranha 3D. Extreme example, I know, but the point is different pieces of art (please don't reply to me with "lol at calling Piranha 3D art". It's just an example) have different goals and shouldn't be analyzed through the same lens.

That being said, I do think we as a society tend to spend more time criticizing things, entertainment especially, than actually switching off and enjoying what's in front of us. Over analysis seems to have contributed to this era where everything is either a masterpiece/best thing ever or it's a complete pile of trash (please note, I am not accusing anyone in this thread of having that mind set. Just laying down some thoughts).

To be clear though, this movie clearly does have higher goals and is absolutely subject to more critical analysis than a basic fairytale. I also greatly enjoy this film.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Where did the pie man say he was from?

Raku likes this.
  18. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I was thoroughly wrapped up in this movie. Really, really liked it.

Raku and aoftbsten like this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

This is the type of quality content that I come here for

Raku and coleslawed like this.
  22. [​IMG]

Raku, coleslawed, domotime2 and 8 others like this.
  23. drewinseries

Drew

That was a great scene. Especially when you factor how great both actresses were with just facial expressions.

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

“Never trust a man even if he looks flat down there.”

Anthony_ and chewbacca110 like this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Doug Jones Says 'Shape of Water'-Inspired Dildo Is 'Not What I Hoped For'

Raku likes this.