Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shape Of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, December 8,2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 15, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this was truly bizarre. not quite sure if I liked it but I’m glad I saw it

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Michael Shannon made a real good argument for villain of the year

fenway89, Raku, jkauf and 3 others like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was really really good! The set design and the colors of the photography were consistently magnificent, as were Sally Hawkins and Richard Jenkins.

Raku and jkauf like this.
  4. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Thinking of seeing this tomorrow. It's apparently been playing at a couple theatres near me, just not the one I prefer going to.

Raku likes this.
  5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Somehow we still don't have this despite ads saying its playing everywhere.

Raku likes this.
  6. Dog with a Blog

This was really enjoyable. Not necessarily anything new, but it was well shot, well acted, and whimsical enough to feel like a fresh take on a worn story. I guess one word to describe it would be, “delightful.” I will say, the only thing that really stretched my suspension of disbelief was when they fill up the bathroom with water, which might sound silly considering we are talking about a romance between a woman and a fish creature, but that scene was just a little much for me. Howver, the sexual aspects between the two characters was handled pretty gracefully imo and what could have been something cringey felt natural and believable. I haven’t seen much of his work, but it’s the first thing by Del Toro that I’ve liked.

7. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I emphatically recommend Pans Labyrinth

scottlechowicz and suicidesaints like this.
  8. Dog with a Blog

I’ve made myself watch it three times. I don’t like it. Every time I watch I think, “maybe this time it will click.” It doesn’t.

Raku likes this.
  9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Devil’s Backbone is great

10. Dog with a Blog

That’s one that I’ve been wanting to check out. I’ve only seen Pans Labrynth, the Hellboy movies, Pacific Rim, and now this

11. Crimson Peak is a beautiful film

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Cronos is good too

fenway89, Anthony_ and brandon_260 like this.
  13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

How can you dislike Pans Labyrinth?

14. Dodger

Interesting. I appreciate the hustle though. Any particular reason? do you not like fantasy in general or just this particular one didnt do anything for ya?

15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I haven’t seen Crimson Peak, so I can’t speak to that film, but GDT hasn’t made a bad film that I’ve seen. I personally recommend them all.

There’s actually a really great Criterion Collection package that comes with Cronos, Devil’s Backbone, and Pan’s Labyrinth, for anyone that doesn’t know.

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

I love fantasy, and I don’t think there are enough good fantasy movies out there. Obviously it’s visually stunning, and I think that’s where he really excels, but I find the story of Pans to be an absolute snoozefest. And I typically love stuff that’s dubbed as “Arthouse” or whatever you want to call it, but I just think it’s really uninteresting. I haven’t seen it in about 3 or 4 years now, so my memory on it is a little foggy; perhaps it’s time I revisit it, but it might just not be for me.

Raku likes this.
  17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Only other GDT film I've seen that I liked was Hellboy, and I heard in some circles that the sequel is even better

Raku likes this.
  18. Raku

Regular

Shame we weren't able to get that trilogy.

The hellboy movies were my favorite movies by GDT.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I heard GDT demanded a budget (like $250 million) for a third movie, and the studio wouldn't let up, presumably since The Golden Army didn't do too hot. I think they tried to offer $80 million, but that wasn't enough for him

20. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Man, I have the same complaint about this as I do three billboards. It just totally lost me about 3/4 of the way in. The tonal balance fell off a cliff and I just found it laughable and not in a good way.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. michael_gatto

Trusted

Haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I saw it. Easily one of my favorite films of the past year.

jkauf and Raku like this.
  22. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

this was unbearably horny

if only GDT gave the same attention to fleshing out his characters

23. Dodger

Saw this again. Once again I loved it. About as same as the first time. My favorite scenes in the movie are when Richard Jenkins character is talking to Amphibian Man. Forgot what he said but it was powerful. The scene with Michael Shannon and General Hoyt. Her saying "fuck you" to shannon. The dance scene. Idk. a lot I liked in it. Her moving the mater on the bus window I loved.

Anybody have good write ups to post about thematic elements and such about the movie?

The having a voice and who deserves one is pretty obvious, but I feel like theres a lot Im missing though maybe just because Im not smart enough lol. While the color green is obviously visually heavy, its also mentioned a lot and I dont really know if theres a purpose for that. The car. The Key-Lime pie. All of it. Water also. I get that water takes the shape of anything depending on what holds it, but I dont fully feel like I grasp how that relates to the narrative.

My initial take is simply that. Water is adaptive. It changes based on its environment. The 60s were obviously a time where things were changing and obviously we are in a society that needs to adapt as well. There are solids such as Michael Shannon and Hoyt (his superior) that are strict (Strickland) about rules/"protocol" and refuse to move or have any leeway to the changing environment. The one time Strickland fucks up he asks his boss for leeway and forgiveness but Hoyt is even more unmoving than him.

Richard Jenkins character is riddled in fear and insecurity as well. He tells Eliza to shut off the TV when news about civil rights protestors getting hosed. He has the hair piece and is insecure about his age. Doesnt want to accept nature. Hes trying to accommodate the needs to please a past love interest and get his job back. Doesnt want to move on. Once he sees what the bartender truly is when he threw out the black couple and telling him to never come back because he realizes hes gay/once the other dude rejects all his hard work in the painting (because society was changing to photography) he realizes Eliza's all he has but also he's trying to change for the wrong people. He finally moves on.

The quote at the end: "Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere." I get it. but i dont? I get its a love story but it feels like its more than that.

Anybody wanna give their interpretations and help my not so sharp brain? :)

24. Dog with a Blog

I thought this was pleasant to watch, but I don’t feel like there’s much beneath the surface tbh

25. This was really good. I love how GDT made something pretty simple but also with so many personal textures added in that only he would.

Raku likes this.