Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Shape Of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, December 8,2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 15, 2017.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

More people see and talk about this, please!

Raku and aoftbsten like this.
  2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I HAVE TO WAIT ONE MORE WEEK.

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

Saw this at the Cinerama Dome the other night and it was fantastic. Sally Hawkins is incredible.

jkauf, Raku and aoftbsten like this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Not out in the UK until mid-Feb :(

5. Raku

Regular

This film looks really interesting, and I want to watch it...

Unfortunately none of the theatres around me are playing it, so I'm gonna have to wait for home release before I can watch/support this film =/

6. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

This was delightful

Raku and jkauf like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this is up there with GDT's best work, if not his best, such a great distillation of his voice
    Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins, Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Shannon were so great
    Octavia Spencer was great too, can't believe she had to play a maid again though

Raku, Anthony_ and jkauf like this.
  8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Saw this today, really fun movie. Visually very unique, a lot of the design was bioshock af.

Story-wise, eh, it was a run of the mill fairy tale beauty and the beast type thing. But it did keep me engaged the whole time, and overall liked the movie.

Raku likes this.
  9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Damn this was good. Think I still like Pan's more, but I'll have to see this again before I can really form that opinion.

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Want to see this badly.

Raku likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Are there no editors

Raku, suicidesaints and OotyPa like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

There have been multiple times where it was obvious Rex Reed did not even see the movie he is reviewing. He is one of the worst critics in the country.

fenway89 and Raku like this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Dude is a legend

Raku likes this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

this was good but unfortunately i have to label it as slightly disappointing. I had very very, maybe too high of hopes for this movie, and in the end i found the movie to be too formulaic and very paint by numbers. The dialogue was basic, the story structure was basic, and i wasn't even that entrenched into the scenery or the atmosphere. I was never bored and there were many nice moments, but towards the end of the movie I was considering leaving early (I had somewhere to be). It wasn't cause i didnt like the movie, but i knew where it was going and figured "okay i get it, cool movie, i can watch the end at another time"

Michael Shannon is the king in this movie though. GREAT GREAT GREAT villain

15. stayillogical

It's a fairy tale. Not every story has to be unexpected to be good.

16. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

No but you can't be paint by numbers if you want a movie to be great. As I stated it wasn't just the story that I found to be basic. Thought dialogue and direction and general world building was basic as well.

The movie was good...ill even say very good... I just had too high of expectations maybe

suicidesaints likes this.
  17. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

This starts today in Buffalo but i have Xmas party hell today and tomorrow ugh

18. stayillogical

Starts tomorrow too, but I have too many Christmas things to do. I'm so mad.

19. flask

Trusted Supporter

It’s paint by numbers but paints them vividly.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

Slap that on the box.

21. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This was spectacular! Visually it might be my favorite movie of the year. Sally Hawkins and Michael Shannon absolutely killed it in this movie.

Elisa sprouting gills at the end took me out of it for a second, before I remembered that this is a fairy tail about a woman falling in love with a sea god

chewbacca110 and jkauf like this.
  22. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Hoping to see this sometime between Christmas and New Years, and I'm psyched!

Raku likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Really enjoyed this and can always count on Del Toro’s attention to detail in crafting a scene. Pan’s Labyrinth remains his masterpiece but this is a close second. Now that I’ve been thinking about it, not only is this similar in tone and themes, I’ve noticed Elisa and Ofelia (from Pan) have similar hairstyles, the main villain suffers a physical deformity (Strickland losing two fingers, Capt. Vidal has his face slashed) and both Elisa and Ofelia shot in the abdomen in the end. I need to revisit Pan’s Labyrinth as that really blew me away when I saw it 11 years ago.

suicidesaints and jkauf like this.
  24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

wtf I thought this was supposed to be the Abe Sapien origin story.

* / *****

Dog with a Blog, Raku and SpyKi like this.
  25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Seriously though, this was great.

Raku and jkauf like this.