Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Rider (Chloé Zhao, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

...is probably my favorite movie of 2018 so far. So bummed I passed on seeing it in the theater & waited for Redbox.

Surprised there wasn't a thread yet. I know I've seen it mentioned here and there. Who else has seen it?

Gonna have to check out Songs My Brothers Taught Me. And, as a Marvel fan, super excited for her to direct The Eternals, though it'll be interesting to see how her filmmaking style works in that kinda context.

2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Did you see Lean on Pete?

3. Tim

4. Tim

Something I really appreciated about this movie is the way it blended good filmmaking with an almost documentary approach. Like, it had a script & fictional elements like a dead mother. But, the lead actor really had that injury, the clip of the injury is that actual event, his sister is his real sister who's really autistic, his friend is his real injured friend & that's his real relationship w/ him, real horse training on camera, even him really getting a back tattoo...

So beautiful, and so sincere.

riotspray likes this.
  5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I loved it. I don't know how similar it is to The Rider but I (and probably others) kind of lumped the two movies togethet because they were released almost simultaneously and they're both about horses.

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Why did I do this to myself tonight?

Tim likes this.
  7. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

Just won Best Picture at the Gotham Awards too!

Y'all seen Songs My Brother Taught Me? I feel like it's slighty superior to The Rider but both films obviously rule, Chloe Zhao is insanely talented.

8. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

is this on any streamers?

9. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It's on Starz.