Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Rehearsal (HBO/ HBO Max) TV Show • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 17, 2022.

1. lol, brb going to go make this joke in the group chat

2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Be sure to credit "some freak on my website"

3. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

What did Miriam hear from Angela specifically that warranted the “anti-Semite” charge? I’m sure the conversation was longer than what we saw.

4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

She immediately said, about raising a child with Judaism, that she was not "conflicted" she was just purely against it. I think her saying antisemitic stuff was the whole conversation.

5. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Ehh, I think Angela was pretty clear it was the religious education specifically that she was against, and not the culture/ethnic group. I don’t share her perspective and I also wasn’t raised in a mixed faith environment either, but the “I’m not raising my kid in Judaism because I am a Christian” is a pretty standard position and you can plug in different faiths in those two spots without any hate accusations. Can’t believe I’m kinda defending Angela (on this point only), but Miriam’s sudden exit from the conversation seemed strange.

6. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

These donuts are delicious

OotyPa, Drewski, brothemighty and 3 others like this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Man I know a guy that will be just devastated when I tell him that eating feces is satanic

oncenowagain, imthesheriff and Brent like this.
  8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Shooter McGavin?

9. Her latest video on Instagram … all the places over here… too real.

upload_2022-8-13_21-36-56.jpeg

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah that made me laugh too because it reminded me when he used to say the same thing about Comedy Central on NFY lol

11. 5Stories

Regular

I haven't been to the synagogue it years, because it's so boring

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

surprised she doesn’t think apple or IG/facebook are satan’s mischief

imthesheriff likes this.
  13. soggytime

Trusted

Facebook seems to be well liked by satanic panic people

14. devenstonow

Noobie

"Jews don't accept Jesus as their savior so the entire faith is invalid" is one of the oldest antisemitic tropes there is. The fact that she was so quick and aware of the similarities between the two but being entirely against it because of Jesus IMO Makes it worse.

The only kinda valid argument I see from her perspective is that it's her rehearsal and she was pushing back against Nathan doing more things to make it his rehearsal (which is a stark contrast to how hesitant he seemed to be when he first asked her if he could join)

incognitojones and coleslawed like this.
  15. Even if you want to get into semantics about Angela's views, she clearly loves Mel Gibson lol where there's smoke, there's fire

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also it’s completely fine for Nathan to want to bring up Adam with Jewish traditions as well considering Angela wasn’t taking it seriously when Nathan left.

a nice person and incognitojones like this.
  17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the best part is Angela is probably 100% pro-Israel.

Zilla, St. Nate, soggytime and 3 others like this.
  18. aliens exist Aug 14, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 14, 2022)
    aliens exist

pure on main

when nathan's mom learns that adam is being raised with christianity rather than judaism she tells him that there's nothing wrong with teaching adam some of the traditions and values of judaisim that he was raised with. nathan responds saying that angela is a christian and he doesn't want to overstep his bounds, and his mom asks him if sometimes he thinks it's "easier to go along with things rather than deal with the tension?". this leads to nathan having an epiphany - "my relationship with angela was starting to parallel real relationships i had had in the past. i have a tendency to let my partner take the reigns and make the decisions as a way of avoiding conflict"

the irony here is that nathan didn't actually care about which faith adam was raised with until his mom told him that he should. he hasn't been to a synagogue in years ("because it's so boring") and as an adult the only time his life collides with judaism is during "the holidays, and stuff". he is going along with what his mom says as a way of avoiding conflict with her, rather than dealing with the tension

at the end of the episode, miriam outs herself as a zionist who believes that criticizing israel is antisemitic. she claims that the ap condemning israel for ethnically cleansing palestine is proof that "the media is biased" against israelis, and she tells nathan that, as a jew, he should be using his platform to promote israel. nathan clearly disagrees, but he goes along with with what miriam is saying as a way of avoiding conflict with her, rather than dealing with the tension

to argue about whether angela is antisemitic or not is to completely miss the point/joke being made. angela and miriam mirror each other. they are two sides of the same coin. angela only wants to raise adam with christianity. when miriam find outs that angela has left the show she says "she just left adam behind? awesome! we can make another jew". nathan allows both of them to take the reigns and make the decisions as a way of avoiding conflict, rather than dealing with the tension

at the end of the episode we realize that nathan's relationship with miriam parallels his relationship with angela. his relationship with angela parallels real relationships he has had with women in the past. and all of the real relationships he has had with women in the past parallel the relationship he has with his mother. the curb your enthusiasm theme song might as well have played over the credits

19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

^

20. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I got the sense that Angela was claiming Judaism missed a key component of her faith (Jesus as Messiah) and not taking the position that the entire faith is invalid. It just got me thinking how difficult it would be to walk that line and raise children in both systems unless you went with a Messianic Judaism approach. I know that mixed faith households are a fairly common thing, I just don’t have any personal experience with it.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  21. devenstonow

Noobie

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

that lends credence to my theory that she's faking that baby voice

coleslawed likes this.
  23. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

Screenshot_20220814-190525_Twitter.jpg

Zilla, Cameron, coleslawed and 12 others like this.
  24. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Quick, someone give me a new synonym for how much I liked something

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]