Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Receiving End of Sirens Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Lucas27, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

I've slept on these guys for so long. I don't know how. But I'm listening to "The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi" and I feel almost dirty thinking how long I've known about this very album and I've not even begun to check it out until now. Incredible stuff.

2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

You ever listen to Between the Heart and the Synapse

CAC3 likes this.
  3. Lucas27

Trusted

I haven't yet. I'm brand new to these guys even though I've known about them for forever.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That album changed my life lol

5. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Wow, that is a fun discovery then. They're both stellar albums. I'm partial to BTHATS, but I'd guess that, if you're listening for the first time now, BTHATS will come off a little more as a dated "scene" album and TESMFM will feel more contemporary and varied. A new album with Casey (guitarist/vocalist on BTHATS) involved again is my musical holy grail, but it looks increasingly unlikely with each passing year. They didn't even really acknowledge or do anything for the 10-year anniversary of BTHATS, which feels like it has reached a legendary, cult-like status at this point.

6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I recently got back into these guys... Between the Heart and the Synapse is a killer album. The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi is good too, I think it's finally starting to click for me more.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  7. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

We're all puppets. We're all marionettes.

Definitely gonna jam to this on the way to the beach tomorrow.

8. Trotsky

Trusted

Between the Heart and the Synapse is probably my favorite album ever made.

It's criminal that the lineup in BTHATS only made one record. Even worse is that the band altogether only made two.

Best TREOS songs (RIP):

1. The Rival Cycle
    2. Pale Blue Dot
    3. This Armistice
    4. ...Then I Defy You, Stars
    5. The Crop and the Pest
    6. Flee the Factory
    7. The Salesman, the Husband, the Lover
    8. Dead Men Tell No Tales
    9. Wanderers
    10. The Heir of Empty Breath

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  9. I miss them so

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Listening to BTH&TS right now. Man do I love this album. None of the bands this band influenced have been able to come at all close to this

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Legendary

12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'm surprised Smoke and Mirrors didn't make as big of an impact as a single. It's such a huge jam

13. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Unpopular opinion time: Mi Fa Mi is better than BTHATS.

14. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

This is a true statement.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

Just listened to both today...they're...different.

It's hard to say for me one's better than the other, because they attempt completely different things. And I'd say that Mi Fa Mi is more interesting on the whole, but BTHATS is much better in terms of catchy melodies and sing-alongs.

16. beachdude

Re-listening to both albums a bunch over the last couple days... Mi Fa Mi is definitely my favorite of the two, but both albums are still absolutely incredible of course.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  17. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

TRUTH

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. beachdude

Been jamming both albums a lot lately and this band is quickly moving up my list of all-time favorites. Honestly I need to give The Dear Hunter more listens, because I LOVE Casey in this band but never got that heavily into TDH.

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listened to The Rival Cycle today and it reminded me of how fucking sick the instrumental parts of BTHATS are

Casey was the best at writing songs and making them 'expand,' if that makes sense, often taking catchy (but in no way generic) post-hardcore songs and turning them into an elaborate proggy meltdowns. I remember listening to the album in high school and just letting my mind freely float to the vicious onslaught of guitar and electronic sounds. The outros on that album are truly glorious

20. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah, I honestly believe that it should consistently be int the conversation for best post hardcore album of all time, for just how cohesive and complete the album is, along with the fact of how timeless it is.

beachdude42 likes this.
  21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Just start with the Acts! they are incredible and tell a great story. Act III is probably the most proggy and is about world war 2 pretty cool stuff.

I feel that act II or VI are the best out of those tho. really love the dear hunter, also migrant is a real solid album too

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I think I'd start with the black EP and then Act 3 if you want sounds that are closer to TREOS.
    They aren't that close, but they are heavier.

teebs41 likes this.
  23. celluloid dreams

Regular

A Realization of the Ear.

24. sawhney[rusted]2

Is one of the many great songs in this band’s discography

beachdude42 and celluloid dreams like this.
  25. sawhney[rusted]2

I’ve been on a Receiving End of Sirens kick...they still hold up really well lol

celluloid dreams and beachdude42 like this.