Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by trevorshmevor, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

About halfway through and it's real good.

Orla likes this.
  2. tvck

Trusted

Also, the brits are so good with American accents.

stayillogical and MrAirplane like this.
  3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

just gonna sub right quick and come back when I'm finished. Loving it so far.

stayillogical and Orla like this.
  4. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm looking at Thomas Brodie-Sangster in a whole new light. He is no longer a little kid to me.

5. tvck

Trusted

He still looks like a little kid to me haha

MrAirplane and trevorshmevor like this.
  6. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Started this tonight and the first two eps are fantastic. Will easily finish this over the weekend

Orla and I Am Mick like this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

this was incredible

8. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

finished this morning. The stylist and art department clearly had a blast on this. Happy its a limited series. I don't need more. Anya is everything but I really enjoyed Thomas Brodie as Benny Watts doing a rock n roll chess player

trevorshmevor likes this.
  9. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

This is the best show ive seen in a very very long time.

Whalejaw and I Am Mick like this.
  10. There’s been a lot of great content online surrounding the importance of the actual chess games in this, but I found this video to be particularly interesting for breaking down the unspoken dialogue in Beth’s first game with Beltik, and why you don’t need to know how to play chess to feel a lot of movement during the gameplay sequences

11. Finished this last night. It was spectacular, pretty easily my favorite show of the year. Just immaculately written and directed and acted and scored all the way through.

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Good ending. I’m glad they didn’t go the usual route with the Russian antagonists and actually humanized them.

CarpetElf and trevorshmevor like this.
  14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i just beat her as an 8 year old bc it was easy as hell

15. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Loved the hell out of this show

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

One of my favorites this year.

I Am Mick likes this.
  17. Dodge725

Trusted

Just finished this and thought it was only ok. The acting was great, but the plot was too cliche for me. It felt like every coming of age story/plot point was added in (orphan, special talent, orphan again, hits rock bottom, is saved by friend/family from past, all friends come together to help in end) which made it very predictable. My fiancé related it to the “and then” where you start with her as an orphan and then (insert something bad) and then (more bad) and then...until it becomes unbelievable. The start of episode 7 (the funeral and her return to the basement) were the best moments of the show and I wanted more of those real moments and less “really?” Moments like her Dad trying to take the house or her mom dying in Mexico.

18. clucky

Trusted Supporter

cliches work for a reason. Yes, the plot wasn't ground breaking. But everything else (acting, sets/costumes, music...) all more than made up for it.

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I’m not following this “and then” structure you’re referring to, at all. I also don’t think any of the moments you mentioned are “unbelievable” or “sensationalized” in any capacity. This felt like a very realistic story to me, to the extent that I thought it was nonfiction at one point.

20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The only thing that a little unbelievable is the last episode all her past opponents gathering to help her and it’s really not that big a deal. It kind of feels earned by that point

OotyPa likes this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I also felt that was a stretch. Hard to believe anyone's exes would all gather to help someone like that. But even that moment is singular and supported by previous conversations with Benny, and she hasn't burned any of those bridges (they all want her to succeed), and she's basically famous at that point.

22. soggytime

Trusted

Finally getting around to watching this. This is really good. Shocking really, because usually the popular shows in the Netflix top 10 are horrendous

Victor Eremita and theagentcoma like this.