Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by trevorshmevor, Aug 27, 2020.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is one of the most addictive shows I’ve ever watched. I CANNOT stop.

Whalejaw and I Am Mick like this.
  2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I made an effort to stretch it out and ended up watching the last 4 episodes in one sitting because I couldn’t stop.

Orla and TJ Wells like this.
  3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I was truly shocked to see this #1 on Netflix today. No big stars, little promotion.

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Scott Frank really figured out how to use Netflix to his advantage better than almost anyone else

5. For how much time I spent trying to place who tf Beltik looked like, I’m bummed at myself for not even thinking to ask in here. I was also plagued by this and you completely solved it lol

Orla likes this.
  6. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I wouldn’t have realized who he was if I hadn’t had the same experience in The Old Guard

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably gonna start this over the weekend

Orla likes this.
  8. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I know this is the #1 show on Netflix but I feel like it’s taking people some time to come around to this. I feel like in a month everyone will have seen this. Word of mouth still exists in the streaming era.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

episode 1 was good!

10. So when are we starting the Chorus chess club?

coleslawed and I Am Mick like this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I’ve been playing daily, I’m really good at knowing what my opponent should do and really bad at knowing what I should do. Couldn’t buy a win today. Devastating

12. TJ Wells Nov 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 2, 2020)
    TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Yesterday I bought four books on chess (two non-fiction, two learning), signed up on Chess.com, and bought a nice set. Suffice to say I'm obsessed.

stayillogical, Whalejaw and Orla like this.
  13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Not that IMDb ratings mean much, but this is already the #44 rated tv show of all time on that site.

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I've been playing daily, and I swear I'm getting worse but I'm at the point where I dream about chess nightly (it's pretty normal for me to dream about stuff I did during the day, but it's weird when it's in chess moves)

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm probably gona buy the book this is based off of next time I get some money, heard it's a quick one

16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I played my first game (after a lot of lessons and puzzles) today and pulled a draw! I consider that a win lol.

Allpwrtoslaves likes this.
  17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Draws make me so angry, like if I corner the opponent in such a way that any move they make will put them in check, I should win. I don't understand why that's a tie

MrAirplane likes this.
  18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I thought it was hilarious that every time she put someone in a bind they tried to draw....like what

I Am Mick likes this.
  19. Not as bad as a stalemate!

Orla likes this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Isn’t that the same?

I Am Mick likes this.
  21. A draw can occur when there isn't enough material to win the game, from move repetition, or hitting the move limit. A stalemate is also a draw but IMO it's worse because it's caused when a player isn't in check but has no legal moves. If you put someone in stalemate you had an advantage and screwed up pretty bad!

22. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

That’s what happened to me. I had three pawns against five plus one of each of the supports. Amazed I was able to avoid losing that.

23. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Ah, I’ve had both happen to me. Didn’t really know the difference. Infuriating either way.

I don’t think I’m going to become a grandmaster

coleslawed and Orla like this.
  24. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I took up playing online over the weekend. Between looking up strategy and stuff about the the show, so much of my Google feed is chess-related now

I also bought the book, and I’m about halfway through. So far at least, it seems the show followed it very closely, and the small changes they did make were for the better

trevorshmevor likes this.
  25. tvck

Trusted

probably my favorite Netflix show after sitting on it for a week. absolutely phenomenal

I Am Mick, Whalejaw and Orla like this.