Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by trevorshmevor, Aug 27, 2020.

1. trevorshmevor Aug 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2020)

Out on October 23rd!

2. Updated OP with the teaser that came out today. Looks pretty cool, here for anything Anya related

3. trevorshmevor Oct 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2020)
    Started this tonight and unexpectedly watched four episodes. Pretty great so far. The actual chess playing is starting to become a liiiittle tiresome, but doesn’t feel like it’s really taking away from the pleasure of watching yet. The score is really standing out to me too

4. I just finished this and thought it was phenomenal. Anya absolutely kills it.

MrAirplane and trevorshmevor like this.
  5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Three episodes in and loving it. It kept tripping me up that Anya was supposed to be like 13 years old during those episodes

6. trevorshmevor Oct 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 24, 2020)
    Yeah same. I thought when the adoption agent (or dean maybe? Whatever her title is) steamrolled her about being 13 in front of the parents, the implication was that she was actually older. But time moves pretty fast in this show and at one point down the road they say she’s 17.

Whalejaw likes this.
  7. I swear every time the credits roll I’m reminded all over again that this isn’t a movie. The overall production is outstanding

Orla likes this.
  8. “So what will your fellow radicals think? You being with a rich white lawyer?”

“Fuck ‘em if they can’t take a joke”

:fire::fire::fire::fire:

9. Holy shit the emotional release when she takes the phone from Townes and it’s Benny and all those guys. I nearly jumped off the couch to cheer

Orla likes this.
  10. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Three episodes down and I love everything about this series so far. If I didn’t have work in a bit, I’d absolutely mow through the rest in one sitting.

11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Just finished it, absolutely incredible. Might be my favorite show of the year, at least tied with Normal People. Furious I don't have any episodes left

Orla and Whalejaw like this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I also feel like an idiot because I only just now found out this wasn't based on a true story/Beth Harmon isn't real haha

coleslawed, Orla and Whalejaw like this.
  13. Orla

Big same! That moment really made me recognise how emotionally invested I had become.

Also that very last scene left such a wide smile on my face. What a satisfying cap to the series.

MrAirplane and trevorshmevor like this.
  14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Really enjoyed it, but the last episode felt like the writing went super cheese out of nowhere lol. Maybe it was earlier on and I just didn’t notice.

I also feel dumb because for most of it watched thinking it was about a real person lol.

15. The scene in the basement of the orphanage broke me almost as much as Beth.

16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I don't think you're wrong, but I was so hyped I didn't care

Orla likes this.
  17. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Man, this was such a quiet force. Fantastic performances all around. Almost made me want to give chess another shot

I Am Mick and Orla like this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Brent likes this.
  19. I enjoy playing once in a while but most of the time it just stresses me out.

20. Orla

I had fun learning about and playing it when I was a child, but at some point, I accepted that I am not smart enough to be good at chess. A casual game every now and again is nice, though.

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I just won two games in a row and have never felt so fucking brilliant, just savagely violent victories.

I could be a grandmaster

anyway this show is great

Brent likes this.
  22. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I tried to learn because I got a job teaching it to kids. It’s way too cerebral for me. I can’t think that far ahead. On the plus side it was a great self esteem boost for all the elementary school kids consistently beating me

coleslawed, Orla and I Am Mick like this.
  23. I think I’ve played like one or two games ever, and had really no idea what I was doing haha. Not sure I’d have the patience to learn at this point, but I’d be lying if I said this show wouldn’t be the reason that I bought a board to fuck around with one day

Orla likes this.
  24. Orla

Did it take anyone else an excessively long time to figure out why the actor who played Beltik looked so familiar, or just me?

275FA93D-2D0A-4C53-8A47-B4099BBC840B.jpeg

trevorshmevor and I Am Mick like this.
  25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

He's been in a lot of stuff lately, mostly Netflix stuff (Buster Scruggs, Devil All The Time, The Old Guard). I like him

coleslawed and Orla like this.