Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Born On A Saturday Night is a perfect punk song in my eyes.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Good look guys on Creeper! This is fantastic!

Jake W likes this.
  3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Creeper are amazing and everyone should listen to them

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  4. Jake W

The more I listen to the new Worship This! album the more I really love it. Everyone should listen to this.

5. Michael Schmidt

That record is awesome. They are from nearby where I work. They grinded opening bigger shows as the local opener and then playing DIY shows. I will see them this month at a bowling alley I believe. I am happy for them.

Jake W likes this.
  6. alert=danger May 14, 2016
    (Last edited: May 14, 2016)
    alert=danger

Eat The City. Eat It Whole. Prestigious

So the Creeper show last night was one of the best shows I've been to. Tiny venue, absolutely packed. They are just an incredible live band. So much energy and passion.

Lindsay M and Jake W like this.
  7. razorburn

Trusted

Wish I could get into Creeper, but every time I try it results in me listening to Sing the Sorrow-era AFI instead.

Lindsay M likes this.
  8. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Ha. I have this problem too

isaidreiss likes this.
  9. Jake W

I'm a bit obsessed with Creeper if you can't tell...

isaidreiss likes this.
  10. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Saw this band called Lost Love from Montreal on Friday night with Clipwing and thought they were pretty decent. If anyone is going to Pouzza next weekend might be worth checking out if you have time.

11. Wobbie

Sing me a story I haven't heard yet. Prestigious

12. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Good discovery. I stumbled upon them late last year on bandcamp. Need to listen to their new album tho.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  13. Jake Z

Regular

That PEARS solo song was really cool. What are your favorite recs for punk acoustic side projects? I don't really like anything too folky or twangy, but like a lot of the Tony Sly/Joey Cape stuff. I also enjoyed the first Sundowner album and of course Dan Andriano's stuff. I feel like there are a lot of other good projects I don't know about though. Any recs would be greatly appreciated.

14. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

My boyfriends loves this kind of stuff and one of his favorites is Tim Barry, so you might want to check out his solo stuff

Jake Z likes this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

I would definitely give Dave Hause from the Loved Ones a look.

HueyLewis likes this.
  16. Jake W

I can't remember if I've posted about this band here before or not, but I really like them so they're worth posting about again if I have...

17. Schooner

Trusted

Happy Lagwagon Day!
    May 16!

18. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

After my birthday, May 16th is the most important day of worship on the calendar. IMHO!

J.Dick, Jake Z and Schooner like this.
  19. Wobbie

Happy Lagwagon Day everyone!!

J.Dick and Schooner like this.
  20. Wobbie May 17, 2016
    (Last edited: May 17, 2016)
    Wobbie

If you like Tony Sly's solo work you'd like Yotam Ben Horin from Useless ID's solo stuff:

Have you heard Matt Skiba's split with Kevin Seconds from 2002?

Sorry, just listened to that stream and it's terrible quality! A vinyl rip from a bad player. I'm about to go to bed but i have the actual CD, so i'll rip it tomorrow sometime.

21. Jake Z

Regular

Yes, I love that split. That is exactly the type of thing I am looking for.

22. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still fun and worth a listen. I actually think they ended up being even better live. They seemed to have played the songs a little faster and I think that's kinda what they're missing on the record.

23. TheFeels

Regular

In the 90s i used to think No Use For A Name and Useless I.D were the same band 'cause you wouldn't need an ID if you didn't have a use for a name. Idk man. They also sounded alike to my young punk ears.

24. Wobbie May 18, 2016
    (Last edited: May 18, 2016)
    Wobbie

Yesss, that Camp Cope album is fantastic, as is The Dirty Nil. Can't stop putting 'Wrestle Yü to Hüsker Dü' on pretty much every mix i make.

Bought the Zach Quinn One Week Record yesterday, and it's really good. A lot of it has the melancholy vocal stylings/melodies of Joey Cape's solo stuff. Some really different songs on there than your typical "punk rocker goes acoustic" stuff too.

And i love Sundials, but didn't know about this! Thanks!

25. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Lately, Nick Woods of Direct Hit! has been posting (on Facebook) details for local shows in Milwaukee. Each post starts out like a normal story of his life, then details and becomes an encounter with Banksy and how Banksy is gonna be at the show.

I'll have to post some of the posts in a bit, but it's actually hilarious.