Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Rad to see you here, @Deborah Remus. Always dug the stuff you posted on AP, good to see that you came over.

J.Dick likes this.
  2. Wobbie

Sing me a story I haven't heard yet. Prestigious

No problem at all. If you ever have any questions about Australia, just ask.

Melbourne is my favourite place to visit in Australia for sure. I highly recommend there. I haven't been to Perth, but it's meant to be pretty awesome to visit. Definitely Melbourne though.

3. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Thanks so much! I won't be quite as active as I was in the past, but I'm still stoked to see what happens with Chorus.fm and keep giving some punk recs!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  4. J.Dick

Regular

Are Pears overrated?

5. Michael Schmidt Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

No. How could they be overrated? Do they even draw enough on their own to headline clubs?

6. J.Dick

Regular

Everyone I know is over the moon for them. Green Star getting great reviews.

7. Michael Schmidt

Gotcha. Since I don't really have many punk friends, I just go by general industry stuff and I find it hard for a punk band to be overrated right now haha. So when I hear the band talk on podcasts about how they making just enough to support their families after band expenses, it's hard for me to say they are overrated. To me they are just a buzzing punk band.

8. Wobbie Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Wobbie

Sing me a story I haven't heard yet. Prestigious

I like the new album, but i do think they are overrated in the context that there are way better modern punk bands out there getting nowhere near as much attention as they are.

You've also got to take into account that being on Fat automatically ups their hype though. Both in the media and general music fans.

Also, the album production sounds like it's intentionally "raw", to try and get street cred, and that annoys me a little. Is it just me? It's not like they home recorded it, or did it on the cheap. Fat, a large indie label, paid for this album to be recorded and professionally produced in a studio.

9. Michael Schmidt

IDK, maybe I am looking at this all wrong or missing something, but how is this band overrated? I see stuff about everyone is talking about them, but who exactly? I go to their social media pages, and it's not like they have a large following or anything. I am not seeing them land large tours they otherwise would not be up for. Again, financially, this is still a DIY band that is not bringing in a ton of money. They seem like a hardworking band that makes good music and other people in the community seem to feel the same. What am I missing?

10. J.Dick

Regular

I do like them.

11. Michael Schmidt

Perhaps my interpretation of overrated is different haha. I don't mean for my posts to read as confrontational or anything. Reading back they could be taken that way. Which punk bands should the community rally behind rather than a band like Pears?

12. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

I still need to listen to that new Pears record. I drove down with some friends to see Off With Their Heads in North Dakota last March and they were the opening band and I thought they were pretty good live.

13. J.Dick

Regular

Yeah...I saw that same tour in Pittsburgh. They were good.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  14. J.Dick

Regular

Falcon tonight!!!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  15. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Super jealous! Pretty much no good punk tours are coming through western Canada this year and it sucks.

16. J.Dick

Regular

Lippies: good band. The singer plays ukulele songs between other songs in their set. She is quite entertaining.
    Worriers: excellent. Lauren has a great voice and they put out one of the best records of 2015.
    The Falcon: I say this as a TLA super fan but everything Brendan K does is just pure gold. Neil is a great drummer and Dan And Dave are super funny, super talented. Loved the show!

17. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Already 50 pages into the NOFX book. Fascinating stuff. Very enjoyable read, candid material from the band... highly recommended.

Deborah Remus and J.Dick like this.
  18. Michael Schmidt

So pumped for this show tongiht!

J.Dick likes this.
  19. J.Dick

Regular

Did anyone read Punk USA or Larry Livermore's book How to Ruin a Record Label? Both about lookout records. I've read neither but am trying to figure out which is better.

20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

21. smoke4thecaper

On my reading list - Punk USA always shows up in 'recommended books' on my Amazon, too.

22. wanielledalsh

Hunger makes me a modern girl

has anyone seen FLAG? seeing them with war on women this summer.

23. jorbjorb

7 rings

I need this book.

24. J.Dick

Regular

I haven't but I'm sure they are great. Better than Greg Ginn's Black Flag in 2016 for sure.

25. smoke4thecaper

It's decently priced on Amazon! Do it! :devil: