Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Wobbie

Sing me a story I haven't heard yet. Prestigious

Hey Andy :blush:

Hey everyone else i've known from the AP punk threads over the last 10 years

Hey everyone else who i don't know that likes punk rock and other things that are cool and stuff.

TRU PUNX!

2. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

What's up, nerds?

Wobbie and DarkHotline like this.
  3. J.Dick

Regular

Last time I saw NOFX they played the Decline which was great. Is Direct Hit! with them?

4. poppunkpotato

Jalen Ramsey is the GOAT

I believe so. Ill probably intentionally go late just to catch NOFX and still not be burned out.

5. J.Dick

Regular

Direct Hit is great. I would rather see them than NOFX in the year 2016 (although I've seen NOFX a lot and Direct Hit only 1 time).

6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I'm seeing Iron Chic next month at a sold out show in a venue with cheap beer and that's all that matters.

7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Saw the Falcon last night along with the Lippies. Both the Falcon and the Lippies killed it.

Anybody else loving that Lippies album? It's fantastic. Reminds me of the Bouncing Souls with a more aggressive vocal tilt. Oh, and the lyrics are fucking spot-on.

8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Go. Particularly if you've never seen NOFX before. Plus? Direct Hit!

My mind was pretty-well blown last night. Three of my all-time favorite songwriters on the stage. Made me so so happy! And the between-song banter was fucking fantastic!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  9. razorburn Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2019)
    razorburn

Trusted

I have a punk dillema, guys.

A friend of mine has free tickets to see Screeching Weasel and MxPx tomorrow, and has asked me to go with him.

On one hand I'm like, "Cool. I loved both bands growing up so it'll be fun," but on the other I'm all, "Fuck the piece of shit that is Ben Weasel."

I guess I won't be supporting him financially, but still... fuck that guy.

10. clucky

Trusted Supporter

You're not giving him money. I imagine it would be hard to enjoy the Weasel set, but if you like MxPx you shouldn't let the awfulness of Weasel prevent you from enjoying them.

11. Kev

I don't see the issue with supporting an artist even if he's a dick. You support the art, and the other members of the band, and the venue, and the label.
    And most of you ignored what a piece of human garbage fat Mike is when someone just brought up Nofx.
    Good label, shit band.

12. poppunkpotato

Jalen Ramsey is the GOAT

Idk how Fat Mike is human garbage but then again I rarely attention to interviews and stuff like that, I'm just a fan of their music.

13. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I need to spend more time with that Lippies record. I didn't get an initial Souls vibe when I went through it, but they are one of my favorite bands. Which era were you thinking?

14. J.Dick

Regular

I'm digging the Lippies record. Easy comparison but very Tilt.

15. Michael Schmidt

All in on the new Worship This record Mint. Thanks Akron!

16. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

I'm also thinking about seeing that NOFX tour when it comes here, but mostly to see Direct Hit! since I loved their last record. Not a huge NOFX fan aside from a couple records, but they would be fun to see live too.

17. razorburn

Trusted

Personally, I don't think Mike warrants the label "human garbage."

I mean, sure, he's said some shitty things in the past, but on the same caliber as Ben Weasel? No way. Mike gets a way worse rap than what he actually deserves.

Remember when he booted a kid in the face last year, because said kid jumped on stage and inadvertently strangled him? The very next night Mike put him on the guest list, gave him a personalised NOFX t-shirt, and apologised. Not a human garbage move, in my opinion.

Ben Weasel punched a women in the face and continues to stand by his actions.

18. Wobbie

Yeah, i need to listen to that Lippies album too. It's on my "to listen" list.

Punk related stuff that i'm currently loving:
    The Falcon - Gather Up The Chaps
    Wil Wagner (The Smith Street Band) - I Hope I Don't Come Across Intense: Demos 2009 - 2015
    Bob Mould - Patch The Sky
    Violent Soho - WACO
    Chuck Ragan - The Flame in the Flood
    Muncie Girls - From Caplan to Belsize
    Nerf Herder - Rockingham
    No Problem Fuck Everything - Pretty Shitty
    Ship Thieves - No Anchor
    Horror My Friend - Stay In, Do Nothing
    Laura Palmer - Old Souls EP

Other stuff, but that's all i can remember right now. A few of those are Australian bands too.

Jake W likes this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

I guess this Lippies record does have a bit of an early Souls feel to it. Interesting.

20. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

What are some good Australian punk bands? I'm heading over there in September on one of those working holiday visas.

And if you haven't listened to Higher Power by The Dirty Nil I highly recommend it.

J.Dick likes this.
  21. Wobbie

I've heard awesome things about the new one from The Dirty Nil, but haven't got around to it yet. Will do :)

Nice, you'll love it here. Which city?

Outside of the really obvious ones, like The Smith Street Band, Violent Soho, Frenzal Rhomb, etc:

The Decline are great if you like skate punk/Fat Wreck style punk.

Laura Palmer play No Idea style punk rock. They toured here with The Slow Death when they came, and that's a fairly apt comparison. Laura Palmer

Palms are more uptempo indie/garage/surf mixed with fun, goofy 80's pop punk. Awesome to see live. EXCLUSIVE: Palms 'Crazy Rack' Album Streaming In Full Ahead Of Friday Release - Music Feeds

Camp Cope's debut album is coming out at the end of April. They just supported Antarctigo Vespucci and Jeff Rosenstock here. Awesome all female 3 piece. A bit indie rock, a bit punk rock. RIYL Cayetana, Chumped, P.S. Eliot.

The Bennies really depend on how you feel about a band in which 90% of their songs are about taking drugs, haha. I can take them in small doses. The band, not drugs X-( They mix a lot of ska/reggae in with their sound, but they're a fun listen. 'Maybe We Could Get High' has guest vocals from Jay of Frenzal Rhomb.

Luca Brasi have a poppier sound, more akin to the rock side of 90's "emo". Think Hey Mercedes, Texas is the Reason, or even late Polar Bear Club (Death Chorus era), when the vocals got cleaner.

Local Resident Failure are skate punk/Fat Wreck style. Very similar to The Decline.

I'll post some more later when i have more time :)

22. Wobbie

Oh, the Bandcamp links automatically turned into embeded streams, and kind of made my post look like a mess. Must be a feature of the new forums. I'll try and fix it later to make it more readable.

Also, Paper Arms are cool gruff, midtempo No Idea style rock. If you like the new Ship Thieves, you'll like them.

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

The early stuff -- Bouncing Souls and Hopeless Romantic. Mostly because of the bass-playing and the guitar. The Tilt comparison is a relatively obvious one as well, but no-less accurate!

I am so so stoked for that Camp Cope record! I pre-ordered it, actually. Hah. Really looking forward to it. That one song they have that references Lost makes me so happy.

That Bennies album is fun, but none of the songs really stick. As you say, most of the bands are about drugs/partying which gets old really quick. Haha.

I'll have to check out Luca Brasi too...

J.Dick likes this.
  24. Wobbie

I pre-ordered it too, haha. Vocalist Georgia started off solo, and she's still recording solo stuff. Georgia Maq. Was so happy when i found out she was starting a band!

Yeah, The Bennies album is good to put on in the background when you have friends over or when i'm doing something else, but i don't put it on specifically to "listen" to it, if you get what i mean.

I think you'd like Luca Brasi for sure.

25. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Thanks for the recs! I will check them all out. I am still undecided exactly where I will end up, will be flying into Sydney because it seems to be the cheapest though. My friend went a few years ago and hung out in Melbourne and really loved it. I've heard nice things about Perth even though it's super isolated. Is there any city you recommend in particular?