Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. New Pennywise album is one of their best. Its in your face all 14 tracks.

The Satanic Surfers album is something special, for sure.

choke likes this.
  2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I have absolutely no idea, but they'll be on the North American continent in June for Rockfest. I'd imagine they'll be filling that in with at least a few other shows. I find it hard to believe Rockfest is paying them enough to warrant the trip, otherwise. Hah.

Full Effect Ed likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

A lot of the new Pennywise reminds me of Bad Religion and its beautiful. Its also strange to hear Jim's vocals so tuned haha.

4. DavidHernandez26

The new Pennywise album is amazing. They are one of the bands that first got me into punk years ago. It's great to see they are still putting out quality music. A lot of bands can't keep it going for that many years.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  5. Horrorca

Trusted

Iron Lung destroys everything

good day, sir

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Can I have more in the acoustic/folk punk vein of Sundowner and Tony Sly please? Anything new this year?

7. New Strung Out EP.

8. Horrorca

Trusted

sickest band

9. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

10. Full Effect Ed likes this.
  11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Got the first of the Fat Wreck "Fat 2003" colored vinyl series in the mail yesterday. It's kind of cool not knowing what records will be coming my way (but having a pretty solid educated guess)...

Against Me!'s As The Eternal Cowboy and the Swingin' Utters' Dead Flowers, Bottles, Bluegrass, and Bones. Not a bad start!

HueyLewis and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  12. HueyLewis

Regular

These are a few of my favorites. Not counting Tony Sly:

Dave Hause (The Loved Ones)
    - Resolutions
    - Devour
    - Bury Me in Philly

Joey Cape (Lagwagon)
    - Skinny Puppy
    + tons of reworked acoustic LW songs

Cris cresswell (The Flatliners)
    - One Week Records Album

Garrett Dale (Red City Radio)
    - Two Ts EP

Russ Rankin (Good Riddance)
    - Farwell Cantalonia

13. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Dave Hause is the best

PunkRockDave likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I never manage to keep up with Punk releases (I'm not even really sure how to), so I'm looking for current (2018 if possible) recommendations. My favourite bands are The Lawrence Arms, The Menzingers, Bad Religion and Spraynard, if that helps. Also, I just saw that Pennywise put out an album, so I am aware of that one. Thanks!

15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Spanish Love Songs if you like The Menzingers and The Lawrence Arms.

Reminds me of Menzingers but is a bit more emotional and complicated, and perhaps a little less anthemic.

16. choke

Skatecat

If you haven't already, you should check out "A Vulture Wake - The Appropriate Level of Outrage". Great album released earlier this year.

The new No Fun At All and Satanic Surfers albums are also great, but maybe a little too "skatepunk" compared to your favorite bands.

17. choke

Skatecat

Yeah, that Spanish Love Songs album is a great recommendation!

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  18. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The Penske File - Salvation has been one of my standout punk releases this year. It's got a Menzingers, early Gaslight vibe to it.

I'll also echo the love for the Spanish Love Songs album too.

19. The Lucky Moose

I like skatepunk too usually, so I will check those out, and the other recommendation too. The Spanish Love Songs album should apparently be the first one in the queue. Thanks!

ugman_2000 likes this.
  20. Jake W

What the others have said + Harker

21. The Lucky Moose

I'm listening to the Spanish Love Songs album right now and they sound great. I have to get used to the dramatic (first word that came to me to describe them) vocals a little, but this is definitely something I could get into.

22. Jake W

SLS was definitely a grower for me. I found that a bit off-putting at first too but now I love them.

23. Jake W

Also I really like this EP from this year, particularly this song

The Lucky Moose and ugman_2000 like this.
  24. ugman_2000 Jul 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2018)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Same here, def took a couple of listens for me too.

If you haven’t heard The Penske File’s album I rec’d def check it out too. Nice rec’ing Screech Bats, they’re local to me and great people :-)

The Lucky Moose and Jake W like this.
  25. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Another rec for the thread is the new Interrupters album Fight The Good Fight which is awesome. It’s pretty much straight up classic Rancid era worship but done to a ridiculously good standard (and much better than any recent Rancid album).