Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Print Collectors Thread • Page 12

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Drewski, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

do you guys ever buy prints online other than from artists? where can i go to look at cool prints to pretend I might buy them at the mythical future time when i can afford to

2. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Finally got this bad boy hung

DC0FD586-7C78-42CA-A5DE-83B344F43B46.jpeg

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

if you don't oggle over Mondo already, they just put up an archive section.
    Archive: The Future Past

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just did a thing and bought my first print from Magnum Photos. Until 6 PM they're doing a $100 Coronavirus charity sale for 6x6 prints, so I grabbed this one. Was $120 total, so obviously crazy expensive for a 6x6 but I'm happy to finally own something from Magnum.

Via the photog Thomas Hoepker: “The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, were without a doubt the most significant historical event in recent decades. And now, we are in the midst of another and far more severe global crisis that is affecting our lives and will have consequences for years to come. I have been thinking a lot about this image I took that fatal morning on the shores of the East River, looking at the smoke rising from the fallen twin towers. I passed by in my car and saw a group of people sitting seemingly relaxed in the sun. I clicked the shutter a few times and drove on. It became a controversial image, taken in a split second, documenting a tiny slice of reality without interfering with people’s behavior or body language. But somehow in the eyes of observers, critics, and scholars it also became a symbol of hope, suggesting that life does and will go on; that we are strong and will overcome. I’m confident that this will be the case also during the current global coronavirus pandemic.”

[​IMG]

Also finally secured my first Phish Pollock recently, with his Dinner and a Movie print for the recent weekly archival stream series. Got SUPER lucky in a right place, right time situation. Flipped over to my person Tweetdeck and saw that a Phish fan account had tweeted the pre-order link. Ordered at lightning speed. Phish Dry Goods then tweeted it was on sale and it sold out in seconds.

Don't love Pollock, but still cool to own.

[​IMG]

ship90, sean_rugy and coleslawed like this.
  5. ship90

Trusted

These by Daniel Danger are just :hearteyes:

06433387-FF89-45AF-877F-9E4801C2318F.jpeg
    CA5A528B-41C9-4D12-B1FA-B288FA07B6A2.jpeg

6. cherrywaves

Trusted

Posting for later, thinking I’m gonna buy one this week

ship90 likes this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it’s here :hearteyes:
    1E8C77AF-18BA-4558-B194-E958D8B34D6C.jpeg

colorlesscliche, ship90 and Drewski like this.
  8. ship90

Trusted

coleslawed likes this.
  9. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

That's not the actual print.. right? Also, I love the color of your wood floors.

10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

that is it, fresh out of the box, still in the plastic, on top of the cardboard shipper.

love these floors. gotta get some rubber mats to go under our rugs so they stop slipping.

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't realize it was in plastic. In the top middle it looked like the tape was directly on the print. :-O

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I was a little freaked when I first saw that tape wrapping around to the inside.

13. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Awesome trash pick (!?!) in Brooklyn this AM by my fiancée when she was walking the dog: Phish's epic fall 2010 Utica show. Print is slightly damaged up top, but held up pretty well in frame and mat.

[​IMG]

14. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Not a fan of Phish, but that print rules.

Drewski and coleslawed like this.
  15. Wharf Rat

wow!!!!!! in the trash??? that's incredible

Drewski likes this.
  16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Right? This print was despised upon release, but now fetches ~$200 in good condition.

Wonder why this person threw it out? Working theory on Phish Ink Facebook group is that the guy cheated haha.

ship90 and Wharf Rat like this.
  17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

It's this show:

18. Wharf Rat

or maybe your fianceé bought it for and didn't want to admit she spent the money?? haha those are the only possibilities I can even think of

Drewski likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

don't know why that would be despised, because it's mostly an empty parking lot maybe? I really dig it though

Drewski likes this.
  20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Bought a few prints from Will Oliver during quarantine. Put this 11x14 of James Murphy at Brooklyn Steel in a simple white frame yesterday and I think it really pops. Great photo.

[​IMG]

ship90 and coleslawed like this.
  21. ship90

Trusted

Oh my

Jeremy is one of my favorite artists, but this is unfortunately way out of my price range ha.

Drewski likes this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Upgraded from an apartment to a house and have to kick down this amazing tip that has made my life much easier with the extra wall space...

Measure your frames and cut that same size in craft paper. Label where the wire hangs or edges are. Tape the craft paper to see how it looks, nail it in the holes, tear the paper off and then hang your art. SO MUCH QUICKER AND NEATER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stars143, coleslawed, ship90 and 2 others like this.
  23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Craft paper is a life saver. I did a project on the stairs back in 2012 and did the same thing. Excuse the heavy filters, this was way back when it was normal to use heavy filters on IG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just dropped a pretty penny on this bad boy but I love it.

[​IMG]

ship90 and sean_rugy like this.
  25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

[​IMG]

So it looks like Michael's has added a few more $13 frames to the mega clearance portion of the online custom framing portal. Always good to support a small business and your local framer when you can, but I had been destroying this deal to get prints (11-12 total so far) out of my portfolio and have saved probably thousands of dollars in the process. You get the frame + two mats and acrylic glass for less than the cost of what a regular of-the-shelf frame for the print would cost. I'm literally bringing a 24x36 photo in and getting it custom framed with two mats for $40. What?

Here's how to do it:

1) Go to this page to pull up the Clearance frames.
    2) There are a bunch of options, but you'll find a few of the $13 ones I attached above on the second page.
    3) Pick a frame + that you'll bring print to store.
    4) Upload. print + sizing.
    5) Choose two mats.
    6) Pick the store you're going to bring it to.
    7) Add to cart and pay for it, then bring it to the store.

If the framer at the store is cool, you may even be able to upgrade your mats, frame, and glass without paying extra. I seriously cannot emphasize how good this deal has been to me. Putting a few results in the post below this one.

ship90 likes this.