Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Print Collectors Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Drewski, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Did a search for this and...found nothing. So as a print lover, figured I'd start one myself.

A thread dedicated to the stuff you put on your walls. Band prints, film prints, whatever. Whether it's /100 or /1,000,000 it belongs in here.

Here are some of mine to get the ball rolling:

So these first two are ones I just took to Michael's for the pretty ridiculous $79 custom frame deal over the holidays. Limited in terms of frame and mat you could get, but considering these were $400-$500 framejobs at full price, $79 was an absolute steal.

Bell House (print is 84/100) is my favorite show of all time, so happy to have it in nice glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In terms of next up for frame splurging...

This Phish print by James Flames (if you don't know him, check him out...his band posters are awesome) from Phish's 2012 Madison Square Garden New Year's run. Print is for 12/28/12 to be exact, and is part of a four poster design. Looks amazing as a set, but 12/28 was the only show I attended on the run and I'm very happy with having just this one.

Next is from Brand New's Canada run over the summer. Grabbed two at the first night in Montreal. I dig the minimalist design on this one and think there are some fun mat combinations to go with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no clue what the pressing info was on this, but it's from the Triple Crown Records 10th anniversary show in 2007 that Brand New headlined. This is the hardest I've ever splurged on a frame. Pictures don't do this one justice, I really dig this print.

[​IMG]

And finally, my favorite print I own: Brian Ewing's "Drowning Man" for Brand New's 2003 tour after Deja came out. Unfortunately it's in pretty terrible condition: big creases, pinholes, so on...some things my fault, other things not my fault. Just happy to still have it.

[​IMG]

2. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Nice collection! I'll post some of my most treasured prints if I get around to it this week. Most of my free time has been wrapped up in BotW.

3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Have a few other Brand New prints. This one is UGLY AS SIN and I will never hang it but hey...great show and it's /100. The material and feel of the poster itself are actually pretty interesting, very thick. Scratches are part of the print.

[​IMG]

4. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, I specifically didn't purchase the set of prints from the West coast discography shows because of how ugly they were. They weren't worth holding onto and getting ruined up front, either. I did get one of the prints from the club show, and wish that 1) I had stood in the back and 2) I bought the full set of prints for that show. Couldn't justify the cost for all 3 when I was expecting to purchase two more prints the following nights.

5. chris-wrecker Mar 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 6, 2017)
    chris-wrecker

Trusted

Can't remember the artist but signed and numbered "27 club" print along with an ETID photo I picked up.

IMG_7274.JPG

Some Brian Ewing prints

IMG_7273.JPG

A guy I know did these for Brand New and I got some test prints

IMG_7271.JPG
    IMG_7270.JPG

From the blink show in Spokane. A random one I got online, along with some records

IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7268.JPG

6. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Also this Brand New poster. I have a bunch of other rock photography prints that are either in storage or i haven't frame yet aswell.

12599485_833959520064905_802196902_n.jpg

Drewski likes this.
  7. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@chris-wrecker I have an ETID shirt with that photo, it's fantastic.

Super jealous of the BN/MM test prints, very nice.

chris-wrecker likes this.
  8. chris-wrecker

Trusted

9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

My white whale is still Bannon's 24x36 Jane Doe. Average price is around $350 though and they never pop up.

Jane Doe 04 Bannon - Giclee

ship90 and chris-wrecker like this.
  11. jaimej

Regular Prestigious

I have both of these hanging in my living room. Went to all three shows but the Starland poster sold out before I could get one :(

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

If you want to tweet me at @BrandNewArchive with an ISO and a photo of the poster (that's the one with the fish on it, right?) I can retweet it and try to help you score one. Worth a shot.

13. ship90

Trusted

Converge isn't my thing, but that hasn't stopped me from buying some J Bannon prints ha. He is so insanely talented and I purchased two from his AWLWLB series when that was going on. They're really cool. Best of luck to you in your search!
    And yes, unsurprising, I will also purchase posters for shows I didn't go to if I love the art/band ha.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Bannon is a god. I own none of his work unfortunately, but Jane Doe (original version or the one with the red background he did) and "Death Comes Brightly" are pieces I'd love to have. I wanted to pull the trigger on one of the DCB variants but they were so expensive and I just didn't have the money to make it happen. I do have two different Jane Doe tapestries though, ha.

My "don't buy prints from shows I didn't go to" isn't necessarily a rule that is set in stone, but the print would need to be awesome for me to pull the trigger I think.

Potential next purchases for me...

Emek's print for last year's LOCKN' festival (/500). In a perfect world I want the sparkle foil artist's edition (the second one, only 25 made), but it's going to cost me an arm and a leg. Probably like $1,000+...ugh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I'd like this Michael Boyer print from Phish's shows at Wrigley Field this summer. The 3 official prints for Wrigley were all pretty cool but I think this unofficial print blows them all out of the water. That's one of the many great things about Phish: the unofficial art community. As you can see, it doesn't say "Phish" anywhere on this poster because the artist can't put it on the print but...who cares.

[​IMG]

ship90 likes this.
  15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Came across this pretty frame-up in a Phish prints group I'm in. Wasn't at this show in 2011, but this has become a highly sought after print for good reason.

[​IMG]

ship90 likes this.
  16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

lucky to have a couple big print studios in town (Aesthetic Apparatus & BRLSQ) who both sell their misprints. I've picked up a few from each, and can almost never tell what the "off" printing is.

I've held off on picking up some jBannon Year of the Hare series, but if saw a Jane Doe or Death Comes Brightly, I'd definitely snag one.
    would love a John Baizley Persephone
    [​IMG]

here's a few I've got on my walls:
    [​IMG]
    Bazan 2010 tour poster
    [​IMG]
    Richey Beckett Tender Abuse
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Hooper Flash

Drewski and ship90 like this.
  17. ship90

Trusted

In love with the Star Wars variants Mike Mitchell has been posting (which were for his Mondo show). Super fun!

coleslawed and Drewski like this.
  18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Mmmm...love this.

Also, @coleslawed, wasn't that Tender Abuse a Converge t-shirt at some point? Love love love that art.

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I have a print currently stranded in Columbus, OH. To say I am excited to share this one with y'all is the understatement of the century... B-)

ship90 likes this.
  21. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Was tipped off to a Brian Ewing "from the vault" drop. Was able to upgrade my very beat up, non-artist edition Drowning Man and I'm geeked cause it's my favorite print of all time. Ewing included this nice size print of the Holiday EP cover as well. Awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One I got in 2003.

[​IMG]

22. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Holy shit. What an incredible score. How'd you find out about the drop?

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I run the Archive and someone @'d me that they needed to DM me with something they didn't want to put out to the public. Guy knew my 2003 one was in bad shape and wanted to let me know about the drop. I'm not sure how he knew about it.

Either way my followers are the best and I'm so stoked to go nuts on a frame for this one.

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  24. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

I may have just stumbled upon it. If not, I'll be getting some kind of communication from him soon.

25. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeah, he put up a few things! I love that Halloween 2003 print but I unfortunately wasn't at that show.

What'd you go for? I emailed back and forth with him after I ordered...he's very nice and responsive.