Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Post (Steven Spielberg, December 22, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 8, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Nov 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 8, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Morrissey

Trusted

Spielberg and Hanks have never gotten enough credit for keeping alive the smart adult drama. Bridge of Spies was unfairly dismissed for similar reasons that some will dismiss this.

fenway89, jkauf and suicidesaints like this.
  3. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I went in not really knowing how I'd feel about Bridge of Spies and wound up liking it a fair bit. Very interesting cast, looking forward to checking this out.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Just watched that Spielberg doc on HBO. That is a stacked supporting cast. Not where I expected to see David Cross and Bob Odenkirk together again.

suicidesaints and Anthony_ like this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Always in for Spielberg. Spielberg directing Streep and Hanks, plus all those other amazing actors, makes this even more of a no-brainer. Also Bridge of Spies was one of my favorite films back in 2015 so I’m hoping this is similarly excellent. Looks like it will be based on that trailer alone.

6. Hello Oscar/Jason bait. Haha.

7. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Well this looks great. I had high hopes when I saw it announced and the trailer justified those hopes.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. I'm excited to see Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys, and Carrie Coon, who have all done amazing TV work recently, in a big awards season Spielberg movie. That's cool.

fenway89 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

How was that Spielberg doc?

fenway89 likes this.
  10. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Really loved the early history of his career just because I didn't know it. From a kid making home movies to rising up amongst the New Hollywood crowd in the 70's while not quite fitting in with it. It goes through his filmography chronologically and uses those as a jumping off points to talk about him, those films, how he shaped the film industry etc. Nothing groundbreaking but 100% worth your time. I'm a big Spielberg fan and this made me appreciate his skill as a filmmaker even more.

fenway89 and suicidesaints like this.
  11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome. Sounds great. Thanks for the feedback.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Can't wait

Bridge of Spies was one of his best yet imo

BFG was definitely a lesser entry into the late-Spielberg canon, but hopefully this is a step up

It'll be a nice 4th film in the "Tom Hanks plays a man who is very good at his job" series

13. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Bridge of Spies is top three Spielberg imo

fenway89 and Aregala like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Aregala likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That doesn't surprise me to hear, actually. I remember hearing this was coming out this year and I was just like, "When the hell did he even film that?" The BFG just came out last year and then he has Ready Player One coming out relatively early next year. Snuck this one right in there after RPO somehow.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Aregala like this.
  16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

with Spielberg, he is usually able to work very fast since he works with the same crew on most of his films.

Janusz Kaminsky (the God) has been his DP on every film since Schindler's List and of course John Williams does the music for nearly all of his films.

In the recent HBO doc on him he talked about how he relies on these fruitful creative partnerships to provide him the opportunity to work fast like this.

He also has the benefit of being the most (financially) successful filmmaker of all time, and as a result is already firmly established in Hollywood's studio system.

Eastwood is similar from what I understand.

Anthony_ and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Yeah he shot it while Ready Player One was being edited

fenway89, Aregala and Anthony_ like this.
  18. Morrissey

Trusted

Eastwood is a little different because he is famous for going with the first or second take and moving on. Sometimes it works in getting a rawness, but sometimes it blows up in his face, like the kid actors in Gran Torino.

fenway89 and Aregala like this.
  19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I'm interested to see how it works in his next film which from what I've read will use a bunch of non-actors

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Uhh...

21. Hmm Spielberg "at his most urgent" or "on autopilot":chin:

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

If this is a movie where Tom Hanks runs around yelling " news news news" like it sounds I'm even more intrigued

brandon_260 likes this.
  23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Super excited to watch this tonight.

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I want to see him wear a press hat, run around and proclaim "What a scoop!"

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This was pretty good. Thought the first half dragged a bit but it picked up some steam in the second half. The subject matter is not something that would normally interest me a ton, but with the stacked cast, I had to check it out. Overall, quite enjoyable.