Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Pop (but not popular) Music Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Jan 3, 2020.

1. username

hey you lil piss baby

This is a bit of an experiment but I wanted a space around here to talk about pop music that's maybe not in line with the pop general thread. I'm using "not popular" as an umbrella term and not very literally. It's not just stuff that isn't garnering mainstream attention but also maybe stuff that doesn't sound like it would garner that attention. Pop music that draws more from club or experimental scenes, or a sort of post-PC Music hyperpop. I'm also thinking of stuff that isn't strictly pop but still fits a certain sound/aesthetic. Here's some stuff from this year that might clarify. Idk!!

2. Michael

Regular Bitch

Please, listen to Clarence Clarity, ty!

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hype for this. Apparently this is PC music? I’ve never really paid attention to that genre so idk what it means

edit:
    Or wait, PC music is a label? Shows how ignorant I am

username likes this.
  5. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah, this is the first band they’ve signed. I’m very curious about the record.

The PC Music stuff is definitely worth looking into. It’s AG Cook’s (who produces most of Charli’s stuff now) label. They’ve mostly released singles, EPs, and compilations, but the Hannah Diamond album from last year is really great. A lot of the people that are a part of it do more production for other people now than releasing solo stuff (Danny L Harle was the main collaborator on the Caroline Polachek album). SOPHIE was also loosely affiliated in the earlier days.

It’s all pretty scattered since a lot of the artists don’t have full length projects but I could link you some of the best tracks if you’re interested.

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Please do!

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I don't know any of this, but both SHYGIRL and Thaiboy Digital sound somewhat like music that has come out of various European Hip Hop and R&B scenes. Thanks for making this thread, I think I might find some stuff here from time to time.

username likes this.
  8. username

hey you lil piss baby

OhTheWater likes this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Planet 1999 tape is out today and its fucking great!

username likes this.
  10. username

hey you lil piss baby

Gotta check it next! So much out today but I can’t let that one slip by.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've been talking about him today in the listnd thread but this song is pretty incredible and I've never listened to him before today.

12. username

hey you lil piss baby

I had never heard of this but it's very good. Reminds me of Jens tbh.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I’m still such a novice to his music but “World of Echo” blew me away. Some incredible outsider art pop stuff going on there. Also a hugely influential disco producer lol? There’s so many directions that he went in. I think Jens actually covered him on a tribute comp.

I’m gonna carve out some time to watch the documentary about him this week.

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Orla likes this.
  16. username

hey you lil piss baby

New-ish electro pop duo with an EP coming out on Warp in June

Second single from the forthcoming Jessy Lanza record

This one I posted in the dance music thread originally but it definitely fits here too. One of my favourite tracks of the year.

OhTheWater likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

Can’t find a link for the single tracks, but “MERRY-GO-ROUND” on this new Bladee project is so good

Don’t know much about this one but it was on p4k’s quarantine playlist this week

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Pretty into this album that came out on Friday

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

New 90 second slapper from Dorian Electra

20. username

hey you lil piss baby

Jockstrap EP out today

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

Posting for later

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

New Bladee project

Pretty into this ML Buch record from a couple weeks ago. This song is particularly good.

Rediscovered this Cecile Believe album from a couple months back. So good. She was heavily involved w/ SOPHIE's last album.

24. username

hey you lil piss baby

That Bladee album is good, probably like it more than his other project this year. Only got into that crew last year but I dig pretty much everything I've heard so far. Definitely into Ecco2k the most though.

25. username

hey you lil piss baby

Extremely excited for this record