Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Podcast Worm: Halloween Unmasked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Halloween Unmasked is my kind of podcast. I’m three episodes in on it, and it feels like a new take on film podcasts. Usually, I’m listening to pop culture podcasts that are discussion-based (and mostly hosted by dudes). I listen to shows like Fatman On Batman (now branded Fatman Beyond), The Watch, and Channel 33, which has a lot of sub-shows within its feed. I listen to a lot of shows from The Ringer.

Don’t get me wrong, I love listening to Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan go back and forth with each other on The Watch, but Halloween Unmasked is just different. Not only is it hosted by a woman (Amy Nicholson), it also takes a more focused approach to telling the story.

Episode one introduced us to John Carpenter when he was younger and built up to his work on Halloween. He’s an exciting man and this sets the tone for the podcast and what to expect from the format of it. The second episode goes through how they even made the classic film and how the success of it was completely unintended.

Episode three compares Michael Myers to the likes of real-life serial killers such as Ed Kemper and the Son of Sam. It takes this fictional story and makes it feel like it could be real. Michael Myers is a guy wearing a mask who goes around killing people. Is that so far-fetched? Probably not and that is genuinely terrifying. The episode dives into the psychological aspects of the character in an intriguing way.

With each episode focusing on a specific aspect of the movie, it gives detailed insight into a film that released 40 years ago. The cast and crew never dreamed that people would be talking about this all of these years later. Jamie Lee Curtis got her start with Halloween, and it’s a role that’s stuck with her this entire time because people will watch this movie over and over again, especially come October.

I’ll be looking forward to every Monday and Thursday throughout the rest of October as the remaining episodes release. It’s such an exciting way to look at pop culture in a way that’s more detailed than just a one-episode (or part of an episode) discussion.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I like How Did This Get Made. Great podcast.

Deanna likes this.
  3. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

The Ringer has a lot of great things going...I love pretty much everything they do. I'll have to check this one out, haven't pulled the trigger just yet but your endorsement has made me want to dive in!

4. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yes! this has been such a great series. highly recommend.

5. CAC3

Dog

The Ringer's content feels like it was made with me in mind. Looking forward to starting this.

6. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

I think the show, overall, is really great. I’ve listen to dozens of horror review podcasts, and the solo, more academic approach is really applealing and well done.

That said, the third episode bugged me quite a bit. They discuss the psychology of Michael Myers, and bring in some scholars to discuss his psychosis. They ultimately conclude that Loomis misdiagnosed Michael, and that there’s probably some molestation from his mom or older sister at play that causes him to kill.

And while that’s all fine and fun, it’s like they completely ignore the possibility that Michael actually is the embodiment of evil.

I love film psychoanalysis, but everyone comes off like they miss the point of the movie. It’s irksome.

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Very cool. Is she going to talk about the other films as well, or is just a deep dive into the one?

8. juliatom543

Its a great podcast no doubt.