Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Podcast Worm: Binge Mode

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

If you’re a podcast listener who is also a fan of Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, or Star Wars, maybe you’ve already heard of Binge Mode. And trust me, The Ringer doesn’t particularly need any help in the podcast promotion department. However, there’s just something about Binge Mode that compelled me to write about it. With The Rise of Skywalker and The Mandalorian bringing fans plenty of things to discuss in the land of Star Wars, it felt like a good time to bring up the podcast.

Binge Mode is hosted by Mallory Rubin and Jason Conception, both of whom I happen to find highly entertaining. When you put them together on a podcast, it’s basically non-stop fun, and you can tell that they love what they’re doing. That’s something that I have always hoped comes across in my podcasts, even when I’m discussing not-so-great Stephen King adaptations on Chat Sematary. That also makes it something I much appreciate. Have you ever listened to a podcast where it doesn’t seem like the hosts are having much fun? It makes it exponentially less fun to listen to.

I’ve still yet to make my way through all of their Harry Potter episodes. I went through their episodes on the first book and movie, but thanks to their plethora of Star Wars content, I’ve been preoccupied with that. What I find most impressive with the podcast (aside from the entertainment level) is how deep Mallory and Jason dive into the subjects. Each episode on The Mandalorian has been longer than the actual episodes of the show. You know they’re diving deep when the podcast ends up running almost three times as long as the show’s runtime.

The podcast has me wanting to go back and watch all of the movies, even though I have roughly a million other things on my watch list at the moment. Their energy and passion for the subject shine through. I haven’t put together any official end of the year lists so far, but Binge Mode is high on my list of favorite podcasts from this year.

Earlier this year, I also wrote about Inside Star Wars and was impressed with the behind-the-scenes information covered. Binge Mode: Star Wars feels like a nice companion to that show because of how the hosts make connections between the movies and shows. I don’t know if it will happen, but I’d love to hear takes on other media on the podcast. As someone who has read at least some of the canon books and comics, there’s so much to dive into. For now, though, I’m perfectly content enjoying whatever Star Wars content they release and can’t wait for their insights on The Rise of Skywalker.

Listen to Binge Mode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  2. cricketandclover Dec 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2019)
    cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I really want to like this more than I do, but the hosts are just kinda unbearable between the screaming and how it feels like they're just reading a pre-written script sometimes. Both of those are just purely preference things.

I also find that for as deep and critical as they get into the themes of the work – which is the real highlight of the show and shows the depth of what they're analyzing – they're less critical about the actual quality of the films and think everything is amazing.

noKings likes this.
  3. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Just curious what episodes you've listened to. They have no problem tearing into plenty of plot holes and acting issues in Star Wars.

That being said, I've been listening to them since day 1, so I'm pretty blinded by my love of this show. I'd encourage you to listen to a few episodes if you haven't, though. My wife thinks the hosts are annoying too, but that mostly stems from her feeling like she's on the outside of an inside joke - which I totally get. But getting more familiar with the hosts and some of their jokes might alleviate that a little bit.

All that in mind; I totally understand how this isn't for everyone. Definitely an "energy" that might not jive with some people.

Deanna likes this.
  4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I’m usually not a podcast person, and I typically only tolerate them when someone in the car wants to listen, but I’m a huge King fan and can’t wait to check out Chat Sematary.

Deanna likes this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think that point you made about your wife is pretty key. I listen to a lot of Ringer podcasts, some of which that go back to the Grantland days, and there are a lot of inside jokes baked in and part of their podcast culture. I love that style because it feels like they're friends I've known for years, but for the casual or late adopter listener, I can imagine it can be a bit exclusionary, or even obnoxious given how big some of the personalities are.

Deanna likes this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thank you!! I'm getting some new guests on in 2020 from other horror websites/podcasts. Hope you enjoy it!

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Totally get that it's not the podcast for everyone! I like a lot of The Ringer podcasts, but this has been one of my favorites this year. I've been following Mallory and Jason more since The Ringer launched and have just grown to enjoy their work and energy.

8. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I listened to all the Potter podcasts and most of these Star Wars ones. Sure, there are criticisms I guess, but it's mostly hand-waved away because these are legacy titles with deep sentimental attachment. Which is fine, I guess. But it's not for me.

9. noKings

Regular

Yeah I was starting to wonder if I was alone in this sentiment. I've listened to Mallory since she was on the CFB podcast, but any time I hear them babbling back and forth (my significant other listens to all of them), it's kind of annoying. And yes, they do love everything. But oh well. People obviously eat this shit up. Just seems over the top 99% of the time.

10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Yeah, I think we understandably get used to podcasts and writing that's to serve as reviews. But I don't think that was ever the intent, it's definitely intended as an outlet of fan obsession, with them choosing their favourite pop culture content and delving into it to the highest degree. But I completely agree it isn't for everyone, and even liking them as personalities, I don't listen to all of their episodes because if I can't match their enthusiasm or familiarity with the subject, it can feel a bit too much.

noKings and Deanna like this.
  11. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I listen to the Ringer NBA show pods every week but haven't checked out binge mode, I'll have to give the star wars one a listen.

Deanna likes this.
  12. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Binge Mode is wonderful, Jason and Mal are an absolute joy

Anthony Brooks and Deanna like this.
  13. Neon Light

rage and love

Binge Mode: Harry Potter was the best thing I listened to all of 2018. I'm nearly done my second time through. They absolutely nail both the humour and the emotional stuff as well as delving deep into the plot and how to relate it to everyday life.

Anthony Brooks and Deanna like this.
  14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I can’t wait to finish those episodes! One day haha.

15. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Agreed. It was almost like reading the books for the first time all over again. Loved those podcasts.