Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Pet Thread • Page 39

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 8, 2016.

1. jorbjorb

7 rings

not enough cat here

2. Dog with a Blog

Apple

7D83F1CF-6BE9-4684-A206-8102EB6A3268.jpeg

We watched Arrival together the other night. She really liked it.

B03C931A-9F54-46E3-B58E-FD37FD6CB474.jpeg

3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

trevorshmevor, Brent, bigmike and 2 others like this.
  5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

[​IMG]

6. EarthShifts

Trusted

We adopted our first dog today. He’s an absolute sweetheart and is settling in nicely after a long few days for him.

This is my first dog though and I am a bit nervous for some reason. Excited but nervous.

E7E0E7AB-67EC-4C2C-9E0B-2800FA64574E.jpeg

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

@EarthShifts he’s beautiful! congrats on your new family member :heart:

Dog with a Blog and bigmike like this.
  8. Dog with a Blog

Congrats on the good boi. Does he have a name?

9. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

20190404_174616.jpg 20190219_211812.jpg the 2nd one I made him pose with me and my gf and he wasn't amused lol

10. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

D3D58351-6C06-4FF1-A2AD-9CE0F3F20C2F.jpeg

Favorite pupper

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

do you have any pics after that pup plays in mud @GrantCloud? i'm always fascinated by white dogs and how people keep them clean (or if they're just well trained to not make a mess in the mud / puddles)

Mary V likes this.
  12. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

It’s my son’s 10th birthday today!!! I can’t even believe it, ugh.
    The cute version of this picture can be found on social media but here’s the one where he’s visibly distraught from being taken outside
    Which is wild since he’s always trying to sneak out there.
    74F60A97-439D-41AF-927A-BBD9A94ECAD6.jpeg

13. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

6D227B2F-070F-4D03-91EF-DA61F23A7C83.jpeg
    Yeah jojos a model

trevorshmevor, dylan, Brent and 6 others like this.
  14. EarthShifts

Trusted

I hate to make a sad post here, but I am very overwhelmed.

I made a post last week about how my wife and I adopted our first dog. Unfortunately we are going to be giving him back to the rescue though. He is a very sweet dog, but we just can't give him what he needs right now. We feel awful about it and we knew going in that it'd be a lot of work, but I think it's become more than either of us expected. He needs a family with more space and maybe have another dog as well.

On top of that, we have to put our cat down this week. We just put our other one down in January so this sucks to have to do it again so soon. My wife has had her for 19 years, and she's been in my life for 15. I am so bummed out about it. She was doing so well and then her health just took a turn south and she isn't getting better. It's heartbreaking to watch.

15. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Hey y’all, looking into adopting a cat and figured here would be a good place to get any warnings / advice.

I live in a little studio apartment in a bustling city and have found a 2 year old tabby I love at the local animal society. Will living in such small quarters make my apartment reek? Will the cat keep me up at night every night?

I often am out of town for weekends (Friday morning - Monday evening), which is a bit worrisome as well.

Any thoughts? I lived with dogs growing up as my mom was allergic to cats, so I have had very little exposure to them.

16. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I have a small 1 bedroom. It doesn't smell as long as you get good litter and clean it out regularly. My cat sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night (I'd say not often but occasionally). Normally it's because he wants to eat and it's almost morning or because he's in a crazed hyper mode. You'll need someone to feed the cat while you're away and if you're like me you'll feel bad for leaving them alone that long lol. I really recommend the iris top entry litter box because 1) it doesn't look like a litter box and 2) it makes litter less likely to go everywhere when they bury after going to the bathroom. It's definitely an extra responsibility having a cat or any pet but I think it's worth it.

17. personalmaps Apr 27, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2019)
    personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Couple of things! Definitely get a good litter and try to scoop out the solids every 2 days or so to keep the scent under control. I use Arm and Hammer “clump and seal,” which I consider to be the best litter out of all the brands I’ve tried. We have two liter boxes in a one bed apartment and if we are on top of it, it hardly ever smells

I recommend a pet fountain as well, to keep your kitty hydrated and engaged. I have a Pioneer stainless steel one that’s very quiet and stays clean longer than the plastic one I used to have. Cats are dumb and resist drinking water, especially if it’s been sitting out. Because of this, I recommend a mix wet and dry food with a higher water content. I use Tiki Cat because their dry food is hydrating and the wet food is higher grade meat/grain free.

Since you have limited space, I’d think of getting some cat shelves or a bed that suction cups to the window so there are places for your cat to feel like they have enough space. Make sure you have enough toys too, since it seems like they’ll be spending some time alone.

I don’t think you’ll get woken up too much depending on your cat’s personality. One of my cats sleeps in my arms literally every night and the other one has a chair he sleeps in out in the living room. Just be sure you’re spending some playtime with the cat before you adopt to make sure you have the same disposition. If you notice the cat is super needy or rambunctious, it may not be a good fit with your schedule.

If you do adopt the cat, make sure you can spend quality time with them before spending a long time out of the house so they feel comfortable and can bond with you. People think cats can just be plopped down anywhere and don’t need as much attention, but you want to set them up for success and happiness, not just make them feel shuffled around. Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions! I adopted both of my cats from strange circumstances and both were the best decisions of my life so I’m happy to help!

18. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Thank you so much!

19. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Some recent ones of my sweet Izzy girl.:heart:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trevorshmevor, dylan, Ken and 10 others like this.
  20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Messed around and taught my dog how to drive.
    D3Q_bGvWAAED8p5.jpg

trevorshmevor, Drewski, Ken and 9 others like this.
  21. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

i opened this at work while very frustrated with one of our programs and the first picture took my BREATH away wow. :')

22. Dog with a Blog

29516D4F-1B3B-48B1-B5DA-5CD9F1A6A716.jpeg

trevorshmevor, Ken, Brent and 4 others like this.
  23. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

@Matt and I adopted a kitten today :) we aren’t set on a name yet so if you guys wanna drop your favorite female/gender neutral cat names, I’d love to hear some! Day 1 and she’s already so friendly and down to hang

69FB7CD1-2803-4BB4-A1BC-BB5C46F442B5.jpeg

trevorshmevor, mad, Ken and 4 others like this.
  24. Dog with a Blog

So pretty! Do y’all have a favorite tv show/book series etc? That’s usually where my mind first goes when thinking about naming an animal

25. midnightxtaylor

Regular

My 25 year old horse lives 3000 miles away on my mom's farm, and she just let me know that she thinks he has mouth cancer and wants to put him down. The vet isn't sure if it's cancer or a very bad sore and can do a biopsy, which I think we need to do because putting an animal down just because he's old doesn't feel right. She said she wont do it without my approval, but I can tell I'm shutting down mentally with that possibility and am trying not to explode at her.