Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 96

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I don't remember our oldest being so... anti-photogenic at this age, but Tayor is a mess when I pull out my camera compared to Teagan. But I know I've been super lacking taking photos of Taylor as opposed to Teagan so far (second child syndrome, I guess). Today at the sunflower field...

Attached Files:

Nyquist and popdisaster00 like this.
  2. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

My son who is two and half started doing this loud whining out of nowhere over the last few months. Today I figured out where he learned to do it. Peppa Pig. I have now gone through and blocked the program as well as anything Peppa related on YouTube. He can still watch Blippi (though he’s pretty annoying too), Dave & Ava, and all of his learning programs he likes. He doesn’t get a lot of screen times, but when he does I make sure it’s something he can learn from.

I know he likes Peppa, and I feel like an asshole of a parent for blocking it. The whining is too much and I personally find the program to be a little bratty.

Cameron and David Parke like this.
  3. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Put him on to Bluey

4. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

5. We stopped letting our 4 year old watch odd squad because while it’s awesome he’s learning math REALLY well from the show, Ms. O plays the “yelling chief” trope as the head of odd squad and she’s kind of a dick to the agents and THAT’S what he’s latched onto and has been a dick to his friends and us.

6. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

PBS has a lot of good shows for him from what I can tell. Daniel Tiger is a favorite recently. I just don’t understand why you would make a learning show and have whining and bratty behavior in it. These are growing minds. Let them become an asshole on their own, don’t teach them to be one.

David Parke likes this.
  7. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

It’s on Disney jr. It’s about a little blue healer(I think) dog and her family. Pretty silly but there’s usually a little lesson to be learned. I find it pretty entertaining as far as those type of shows go

LessThanTrevor likes this.
  8. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Good to know. I mainly walk around the house with headphones while he watches his shows. I’ll go nuts if I don’t. Also when we’re in the car we have to listen to a Blippi album, but only the one about machinery.

9. There are some great songs on the Odd Squad soundtrack I can tolerate.

10. Bluey is so good

It's on Disney+ if you have it

LessThanTrevor and Nyquist like this.
  11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve seen firsthand other kids learn a whiny noise or bad behavior from kids shows so yeah it’s very frustrating how these shows would do that.

Luckily my son hasn’t picked up any bad tendencies from the shows/movies we have him watch. We usually always have Sesame Street, Daniel the Tiger, Furchester Hotel, and Cocoa Melon(youtube) on for him. All are very good for growing minds since he’s only 20 months.

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also Disney + is a godsend. He can watch Inside Out or Finding Nemo every day, and be content

13. What my son watches changes probably ever month. It was sesame street exclusively, then frozen or frozen II. Now he's getting more of a rotation in which is better for my sanity because how many times can I watch frozen?

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Bubble Guppies, Pete the Cat, Muppet Babies, and Paw Patrol are the big ones right now.

Brent likes this.
  14. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@bachna84 has a definitive answer re: Frozen

bachna84 and spiffa0 like this.
  15. Coco melon haha, drives me CRAZY

Cameron likes this.
  16. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Cocomelon is on Netflix now too. The animation is... creepy.

Cameron likes this.
  17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

What are y'all doing about school for your kids this year?

The school district that I work for - and the one my son goes to (entering Kindergarten) - is offering two options for the first semester. Return to school while following health/safety protocols or full-time remote learning. Neither situation will be 'normal.'

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time before all schools are shut down again. Many surrounding counties already announced they're doing full-time remote learning for at least the first 9 weeks.

I think it's going to be an absolute mess regardless of what happens.

bachna84 likes this.
  18. Not sending my son back to daycare this year. Will reevaluate in January.

19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Our school is doing remote for the first 3 weeks. Don’t know how that’s going to work with both of us working full time during the day. Also don’t know what I’m supposed to do with my child

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’m very lucky to have my son be too young for schooling. Though my wife is a teacher, and well still have to have my MiL help out some during the week since she’s distance teaching a majority of the week.

21. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

My son is going to Pre-K fully. They sent out regulations they've put in place and we are comfortable with it

swboyd likes this.
  22. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

We were waffling between sending our son to Kindergarten this year or waiting until next year because he turns five in October. When the pandemic hit and things got real dire, real fast, that made our decision for us. We don’t want his first experience in elementary school to be...this. My wife teaches at a daycare where there are currently very, very few kids so we’re more comfortable keeping him there for another year.

23. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I think once you get around 250 viewings it starts to lose a little of its luster!

Right now my 3 year old son is obsessed with Power Rangers Ninja Steel and my 5 year old daughter is obsessed with Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (both shows are available on Netflix for your viewing pleasure).

Frozen and Frozen II are still in the normal rotation along with Moana and The Polar Express (not really sure why they've taken such a liking to that one).

Peppa Pig is an old favorite and The Adventures of Paddington is a new favorite.

As far as educational stuff goes, they really enjoy watching Blippi videos on YouTube.

@iCarly Rae Jepsen would be disappointed to hear this, but they haven't asked to watch either of the Mamma Mia movies in over a month. I think I've failed as a parent.

24. bachna84

My daughter is entering Kindergarten and we signed her up for full-time remote learning for the first semester. The school district here (much like many other school districts in Ohio) is tied to the color coded state map and the county I'm in (Summit) has been either orange or red for the past few months. Under the approved district plan kids that are signed up for the in-school option would be doing remote learning 3 days a week when my county is orange or red.

25. bachna84

I feel your pain.

It's on Netflix too (at least 3 episodes are...not sure if there are more out there)