Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 95

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Our friend is my kids school nurse and today she was telling us that she doesn’t think schools will reopen next year. My wife is already burned out homeschooling our kid so this is fun to hear.

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

They definitely will. In Cali they’re talking about opening earlier like July/August

3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I work for a school district and I also do not think schools will be open this fall. I pray I'm wrong. My son is starting kindergarten this year and I'll be devastated if half or all of his year is done at home.

But, in Ohio, the Governor has told all school districts to start planning for continued distance learning into the fall. I also know the Ohio High School Sports Association is also already planning on delaying or canceling the fall sports season - considering most tryouts/workouts start in the summertime.

Again, I hope to God that I'm wrong in all this.

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

The local community college announced today that it will be online only for the fall semester.

6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

My kids' school (technically a child-care facility since it's a preschool) is hoping to be able to open June 1st here in Chicago for 6 weeks through mid July. We're going to the pediatrician on Thursday so going to talk with our doctor about risks and best practices in the even they are able to open and we choose to send them back.

Also, I haven't listened yet, but this podcast from Vox seems interesting: https://pod.link/todayexplained/episode/ODAzMmYwZTYtMzcyMC0xMWVhLWFjMDQtZjczZTU1ZTg4Yzkz

7. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

What’s going to happen if parents are expected to go back to work but kids are expected to stay home from school

8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I was just on a call with two different county health departments yesterday who were speaking to administrators from 20 or so local school districts and the subject of fall came up and someone pointed out that a lot of Ohio colleges are doing online only for the fall, but the health department was quick to point out that opening a college campus and/or having to shut it down mid-school year (if another significant breakout were to spike), is far more expensive to do than it is for public schools. Seeing as each college campus has dozens of buildings, dorms, people coming in from all over the world, etc. It's like they are their own little cities so a lot of them are just doing it to be safe and ensure an financial disaster if they have to shut it down again.

I still it's too early to predict any more than 3-4 weeks into the future, which the local health departments also reiterated because the subject of opening K-12 schools in the fall came up. They didn't even want to entertain it seeing as it's 3+ months away - but obviously, we have to plan for the worst.

Brent likes this.
  9. yeah...this sucks. You would hope that if you have an office job, they would let you continue to work from home. I’ve been considering that we might actually need a nanny this summer if our kids’ schools are closed. Even if I work from home, I can’t just have them stare at Netflix all day while I work haha

10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It's incredibly difficult for me to work with 3 kids under the age of 5 and nowhere to really go to "work"

11. Yep that’s why my toddler routinely joins my work zoom calls

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I lock myself in my basement every day.

I actually rather enjoy it. But my poor wife does not, haha.

Brent and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. My wife and I are both working all day so we just trade off between being on calls, answering emails, and spending equal time with the kids. It's hour by hour.

Colby Searcy and Brent like this.
  14. Colby Searcy

Yeah my wife doesn't work so this is basically what would happen(minus the basement) and I just feel too bad and would probably stress me out more

15. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

My kids school announced that all students will remain with their current classmates next year. Kinda neat. She's okay with it, especially since it will be our last year here.

Colby Searcy and popdisaster00 like this.
  16. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Last day of school for my oldest is tomorrow. What an absolute wild ride of the second half of the school year has been. Not sure if my wife or my kid is more excited it's over.

[​IMG]

17. Colby Searcy

Happy Father's Day to all you dads!

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  18. 4B4B696A-550E-427B-AD95-7082BF26B4B3.jpeg

This dude turns 6 today

19. Colby Searcy

20. that’s just the angle. He’s actually pretty short

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

22. Colby Searcy

Happy Birthday to both kids!

Jealous of @Nyquist daughter's hair

Nyquist likes this.
  23. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

She’s had a full head of hair since day one. We always figured it would fall out a few months in or something, but it just kept growing. My son was a cueball until he was two. I love her hair.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Brent, Nyquist and Colby Searcy like this.
  25. Colby Searcy

That’s the truth

popdisaster00 and Nyquist like this.