Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 94

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Maybe someone can help me out here. So my son is in kindergarten and it has been extremely hard getting him to do his assignments from school. He has no interest in trying to learn to read or spell. So now he’s home because schools are closed and I feel like he isn’t learning anything. He’s also extremely addicted to YouTube and I got to stop that ASAP. So I guess I’m just looking for any pointers or really just venting cuz I’m starting to get real depressed about it

2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Have you tried ABC Mouse?

3. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I haven’t. But I’m going to look into it tomorrow.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

I believe they have a free trial or something atm. Let me know how y'all like it

5. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

BrainPOP Jr. is giving free access while schools are closed.

Username: Noschool
    Password: learn2020

BrainPOP Jr.

RJ Knorr and Taketimeandfind like this.
  6. Daniel Morales

Hi,
    I just wanted to share with this amazing shopping cart cover for my baby that I've got recently.
    It keeps my baby girl away from germs and dirt.

Cameron likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That’s very nice of you. I never thought of that. Though I just leave my baby at home to be safe.

Brent likes this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

My son is starting to pay attention to the tv. So we’ve been putting on Sesame Street. He’s obsessed, and it’s educational which is nice.

Kingjohn_654, Colby Searcy and bones like this.
  9. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I can’t imagine taking my kids out grocery shopping right now. Strictly just me or my wife, and even then just curbside pickup (if we ever find a time slot). Unfortunately house delivery isn’t allowed on the base we live on.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve thought about curbside pickup , but then I don’t know how they’re handling all my goods/how many people have. I’m just very careful what I touch when I go, and I bring my own bags.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. bones

#HEEL

Sesame Street has been a life saver in our house

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Please, please, please do not take your kids into stores right now.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Do you have Baby First TV my 7 month old loves it (my 4 and 2 year old even find enjoyment in it too haha).

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I don’t. We just use amazon for Sesame, and Disney +

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Anybody what have issues with D+ app through Fire TV or Fire stick?

16. for math, try having him count with m&ms or skittles. You can use a fun size pack and just sort them into different piles for addition and subtraction. And if he gets the answers correctly, the candy can be a reward.

another option is to just be a hard ass and not let the kid watch YouTube until his assignments are done haha

Colby Searcy and Taketimeandfind like this.
  17. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Yeah we have found a pretty good balance now. Of course he still resists a little but nowhere near as bad. What helped was his teacher finally started uploading videos of her explaining the assignments. So now he knows it’s coming from her and not just something we are making him do on our own.

18. Colby Searcy

Did you try ABC Mouse?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

For us that worked for about 2 weeks until he just stopped caring if he got YouTube or not and he still did whatever he wanted

20. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

You know I never got around to it. Once he started going on his assignments like normal I eased up. This whole shelter at place has been getting to us all. But I’m not doing anything right now so I’m gonna get that going right now and have it ready for him

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone know a good site to resell furniture (aside from CL)??

22. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I've had some good luck reselling things on local Facebook "trash & treasure" and resale groups. I'm not sure where you're at in Maryland, but use this as a template:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487077311528619/

There might be a group more specific to your locality. This is also all moot if you're not on Facebook.

colorlesscliche likes this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I would definitely try Facebook Marketplace and/or any local Buy, Sell, Trade facebook pages near you. I can't tell you how many things I've sold via Facebook Marketplace and Buy, Sell, Trade pages. We've been very successful using it. Whether it be TVs, couches, dinner tables, a ton of kids toys/cribs, etc.

If you post to Facebook Marketplace, it'll allow you to add your item to up to 10 additional pages.

colorlesscliche likes this.
  24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I don't have Facebook, but I know my sister does. Maybe I'll ask her to post it for me. Thanks guys!

25. bones

#HEEL

Good idea, I’ve been using rough baby wraps this whole time!