Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 93

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Hasn't been too bad so far. Weather hasn’t been great in our area but we’ve been getting outdoors as much as we can. My son is 5 (but still in Pre-K) so trying to keep him learning, educated has been a bit of a challenge. We got him some activity books and signed up for ABC Mouse and his preK teacher has been emailing us some activities to do. My daughter is 2 so nothing has really changed for her at all, haha.

hope everyone is doing well!

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

The hardest part for us has just been trying to balance my wife and I’s work schedules at home and trying to keep the kids occupied. And I know it’s been kinda hard on our 4.5 yr old since she can’t see her friends or grandparents and doesn’t totally understand what’s going on. But it has been nice getting to spend extra time with the kids instead of going getting 2-3 hours a day during the week

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

How do y'all like ABC Mouse?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

my son seems to like it. We’ve had it for 3 or 4 days now. He’s using an actual laptop for the first time ever (instead of an iPad or kindle) and he’s super into it.

5. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Hmm, ABC seems interesting. Having a hard time getting my 4 y/o focused on learning to write. Might give this a shot. He needs something during this downtime.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think there’s a 30 day free trial going on right now.

there’s also of plenty of free sites you can try too (don’t know them off top of my head but if you google, you can find them)

7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

My kids like Phineas and Ferb now! Such a big step up from all those toddler shows they'd been watching.

8. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Cameron and Colby Searcy like this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Nothing wrong with the toddler shows, KJ!

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. Kingjohn_654

I've seen every episode of Daniel Tiger and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse multiple times. It's time for something new.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Muppet Babies!

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I would very much like to recommend “Bluey.”

It’s so full of heart, wit, and genuinely stunning writing. I have teared up watching it multiple times. Definitely check it out. I absolutely love it.

Colby Searcy and BlueEyesBrewing like this.
  13. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I relate to the dad in Bluey a little too much I think

Colby Searcy and Nyquist like this.
  14. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

While I’m at it, I’ll also recommend Tumble Leaf on Amazon Prime. The stop motion animation is gorgeous.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Bluey is so good!

Nyquist likes this.
  16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We watch a lot of Cat in the Hat Knows About That

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. awwgereee

We are doing okay. I basically took a break from doing school activities with my kid last week because of the adjustment. A lot of the stuff we do at home is similar to what he does at school anyways, but he’s been helping me out more and is excited about learning more “life skills,” so I’m just going with it. I try to get outside for a walk with the kids on the nice days but winter is trying to hang on here :cringe:

how about you?

18. bones

#HEEL

We’re lucky that naptime is currently smack in the middle of the work day for 3 hours but we’re still trying to balance everything best we can. The nice weather days are huge. Can tell he’s getting a little bored but hoping the extra time with him leads to some new words.

19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

For anyone in need of activities, my sister-in-law runs a children's art studio in Boulder and they've had to close down like everything else, but she's started posting YouTube videos of instructions for children's art projects. Her website has more information, including the list of materials and links to buy them (from Amazon, using her affiliate link so she gets a little something from it): FREE Art Workshops — Tinker Art Studio - Classes, Parties, Community - Boulder, CO

Here are the first 5 videos she's posted:

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ll send these to my wife thanks for sharing

Kingjohn_654 and KidLightning like this.
  21. Kingjohn_654

Well my state hasn't shut down yet. A lot of people are working from home but I'm still coming into the office.
    There was an earthquake last week that had me shook in more ways than one.
    My kids are happy and healthy. Life is going well.

awwgereee likes this.
  22. Elder Lightning

Hope you enjoy them! I'll try to remember to post more when she makes them available.

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Is jarred baby food safe to order? I assume so because it's stored at room temp before it's opened anyway, but just wanted to see if anyone had any bad experiences i guess

24. I'll jump on the bluey recommendation train.
    Also
    20200326_165710-COLLAGE.jpg

Nyquist and Colby Searcy like this.
  25. Elder Lightning