Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 76

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Mine goes to bed at 8, and ever since daylight savings it's "but it's still light out!"

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, again, if it's just a random night she wants to stop by for no good reason, I don't think that's really fair to you. I could understand if a parent only saw their kids one weekend a month or something uneven and wanted to stop by just to see them, but 50/50 is more than enough time to spend their own time with the kids.

My sister has been a single parent since her son was 2 1/2. Her son is 10 now and her and the father NEVER spend a second together if they don't have to. It just got really unhealthy after a while and if it gets unhealthy for you and your ex, it's going to eventually effect your kid. If things were good between the two of you and you could make the co-parenting work well, then that'd be great, but it sounds like that's not an option right now.

colorlesscliche likes this.
  3. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Right there with you, man. Daylight savings is evil when you have kids.

Kingjohn_654 and awwgereee like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

For us DST only seemed to affect things for like a day thankfully

5. Colby Searcy

Do y'all not have blackout curtains in your kids rooms?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

We do in my son’s room but not in my daughter’s room. Funny thing too is my daughters room has two windows that face the street (and street lights) and my son’s room only has one window and faces backyard so his room is naturally darker yet that’s the room we have darkened shades.

I don’t think lighting is the issue, as she went to bed fine for a few weeks after DST. Last time she had a bad stretch like this she actually had strep which we had no idea because she showed no symptoms. Tonight she was really stuffy so maybe she has an ear infection or something.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Hope y'all get through it soon bud. Sucks that y'all are dealing with all that

ncarrab likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm not sure what's going on but the last two nights she won't go in her crib at all. We've allowed for her to fall asleep on the couch and then once she's in a deep sleep, we'll take her to her crib and the moment we lay her in there, so 'wakes up' and freaks out. But as soon as we pick her up again, she's like, sleeping still. Over the course of the last two nights, we've tried this 8 or 9 times and each time she freaks out as soon as we lay her in there.

In past sleep regressions, once she does fall asleep, she's normally fine to lay in her crib no issues, so this is definitely the worst one.

9. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Daughter turned one the other day.... happy spring is finally here. Started really being happy/clapping lately. Fun age....

[​IMG]

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. Teething is awful.

Kingjohn_654 and Brent like this.
  11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone take their little ones on a vacation yet?

Anyone got any good vacation spots for kids/families (outside of Disney World...)

Last summer we did our first one-night stay with the kids at a resort a few hours away from our hometown (Salt Fork, Ohio).

Today, we just booked a 3-night stay in Ogelbay, West Virgina (only about a 3-hour drive).

Next summer, I'd love to do a week-long beach vacation somewhere but I really, really do not want to fly with the kids.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Colby Searcy

We've travelled alot in the party few years. We drive everywhere we go.

1st trip was when my son was 5 months old. From Houston to Atlanta to Destin, FL and back. I wouldn't suggest having them that young and doing that but every other time has been fine.

Just got back from Great Wolf Lodge actually on Saturday.

13. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

GWL is amazing... always have a fun time there (TX, NC, VA and MA locations, at least).

Destin was what I was going to recommend beach trip wise. We have a family condo there and have been going since about 2000. Some of the best water/beaches I've ever been to. Great water park too, and good shopping with the outlets nearby.

Flight wise, I prefer non-stop if I can but my wife likes to break it up and have layovers. We flew nonstop BOS to Orlando in October when our baby was just 6 months and had no issue at all (giving her a bottle during takeoff and landing for her ears).

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Four year olds playing soccer is so tough to watch.

Brent and Colby Searcy like this.
  15. bones

#HEEL

Teething SUCKS

awwgereee and Brent like this.
  16. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Do they keep score or is it just a go out and play league?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I’m the assistant coach for my daughters U4 team. It’s brutal

In our league, this age doesn’t even play real games. It’s just games and drills to get them running and used to kicking a ball. If we get 40 mins out of them it’s a successful day.

jmitch0906, Kingjohn_654 and Brent like this.
  18. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

My son took to soccer at age 3. They let him play with 4-5 year olds and he was the only one that could play. He would seriously score about 6-8 goals a game and take the ball away from every kid regardless of the team. We had to take him out because the ref and coaches would literally take the ball away from him or block his goals. He got super dejected. So we pulled him out until he can play with older kids.

The craziest part is that nobody in our families has ever played organized soccer so we don’t know where he got these skills from.

Colby Searcy and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  19. Kingjohn_654

Go out and play.

Brent likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

My son is 3 1/2 and we tried soccer around February/March I believe and that lasted about 2 faces before we just stopped going.

Also my coaching T-ball career is kaput at the moment as well

Kingjohn_654 and Taketimeandfind like this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My son just started his second year of T-ball last weekend. I've been working with him for the past month on getting him to catch with his glove and it's really tough. Like, unless I throw the ball right into his mitt, there's no chance he's catching it. He got hit in the face twice Saturday because he just doesn't move his mitt.

He's come around on hitting a bit and he's always been pretty good at throwing, but man, watching 12 4-year-olds play T-Ball is something.

He starts his third session of Soccer in June. His first session of Soccer last summer literally wasn't even soccer. They just ran around and played 'Alien Tag,' it was fucking weird. I signed him up again last Fall but told them, I don't want my son doing that again, and they moved him up into an Intermediate class which was much more (gulp) soccer-based.

Basketball was by far the toughest. My son played during the winter and it was just way too early for him. They played on 8 or 9 foot hoops and my son had no chance of getting the ball to the hoop (most kids didn't). There were two weeks where he refused to go out on the court for the first 20 minutes.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I can’t even imagine basketball at that age

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Kingjohn_654

My son actually liked basketball at 4 yrs old, but his attention span couldn't handle it.

24. Philll

Trusted

Well, currently sat in hospital as my wife goes into labour with our second. Wish us well!

25. Philll

Trusted

And there we have it. We welcomed our new daughter in to the world at 1.28am on the 24th of May. Absolutely thrilled.