Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 75

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

College wise I’m just giving them my Post 9/11 GI Bill giving them two years each to at least knock a good amount of their eventual debt out.

2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Probably in the next couple months. I haven't set a date yet. I'll be sure to let you all know when I get my balls chopped off.

3. Coyote Peterson is kinda like this generation's Steve Irwin. He's a nature doc/ explorer type guy that is great with educating his viewers and demystifying creepy crawly creatures. My son took to him when he wanted to watch "a snake video" on youtube. He's kind of a try-hard and isn't an actual expert - he has a guy that goes along with him that is - but his channel got so big he was getting more views than natGeo and Animal Planet, so now he's got an Animal Planet show which is kinda cool to see happen. Its a good watch for when we don't want our son to watch too much TV because lots of his videos are on the shorter side. A fun watch for parents I think is his turn on The Hot Ones. You can get to know who he is and what he's about and make your decision from there while not watching something geared toward kids like his show is.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We have a savings fund for ours, although I think it's education specific. I forget the technical term for it, but he can't touch any of it until he's 18.

During Christmas/birthday time we ask our family to put towards it instead of giving gifts because 1) he's too young to even remember 2) he has enough already. He has a couple thousand in there already and he's only 3.

Brent, RJ Knorr and David Parke like this.
  5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Will he know about that as he grows up or just surprise him when he turns 18?

6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'm sure we'll tell him. Something I brought up with his mom, and since I think it's education based, is what happens if college becomes free/cheaper? I told her I'd like to move it to a different savings account, but still hold it until he's 18/21. Maybe help him on a house payment or something.

7. I do 25 a week in a general savings account and my parents opened up a college fund.

But vote for Warren in 2020 so we can see vast improvement to the cost of education for our kids when they reach 18.

David Parke likes this.
  8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I have a meeting this month where the child support I've been paying is going to be raised. I'm not upset about that because I think the amounts of child support are a joke (like seriously men who complain about child support are insane).

But apparently they were supposed to do a review 3 years ago (when I was struggling financially and my ex and I lived close together and I had the boys over 50% of the time) and didn't, but are doing so now (when my ex moved across the state and as a result I only get to see the boys like once a month and am making enough money to recover from the previous struggle) so the principle of it happening like that is really upsetting.

But eh whatever. It's not a big deal I just like to vent about it. I miss my kids so much and I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

9. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Good luck with everything hope you don't get too taken advantage of

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  10. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Thanks, I'm sure it'll be fine but it's also just kinda like "why now" hahaha.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I'm so sorry man, hope everything goes in your favor.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  12. Does anyone's infants just ever sit and relax for five minutes? My one year old is always on the move and I'm like damn give me a break for a few mins.

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

Neither of mine have this gene

Brent likes this.
  14. Colby Searcy

What age did y'all stop bathing your kids together?

15. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

i’ll let you know when we get to that point!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. Colby Searcy

How old are yours?

Reason I ask is last night my one year old discovered her brother's penis and kept poking at it while he was standing in the bath. Got me to thinking maybe it's time haha

iCarly Rae Jepsen and bachna84 like this.
  17. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

2 year old boy and 4 year old girl...no issues so far (that we’re aware of!)

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My son (4) and daughter (20 months) never really did the bathe together thing. Both have pretty sensitive skin and we would notice my daughter would get a slight rash from the bar soap that my son would use (or even just sitting in the bath water), so we still use a baby soap on her and he uses Dove bar soap. Also, he's into taking showers now, which is nice.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Is 20-month sleep regression a thing? My daughter was good about being taken to her crib between 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. every night, even if she wasn't a sleep, she'd lay in her crib and fall asleep with no drama.

The past week or so, we literally cannot get her to go in her crib whatsoever. She absolutely loses it and then just sobs uncontrollably for 30-45 minutes (we've been trying the cry it out method...not working). By the time we get her, she's soaking wet from blowing snot and crying tears that her face is just sopping. We've been bringing her downstairs and letting her fall asleep on the couch, which I know is a bad habit, but we're hoping this is just a phase.

I'm thinking she may be ready for a bed. We waited until my son was 2-years, 4 months to get him his own bed, but as soon as we did it was a total game changer, never once had an issue with him since we got his bed.

20. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Supposedly 18 month regression is, so maybe you're just hitting it late. We got super lucky with the "cry it out", his first night took 15-20 minutes of crying and the next was maybe 2, but he got over it pretty quickly and and would just quietly lay in his crib until he fell asleep.

This sounds like what we're going through with our little guy (who's turning 2 next week) - he figured out how to climb out of his crib a few weeks ago, so we dropped to the toddler bed and now that he's able to get out of his bed, he fights off bedtime and screams if we leave the room after we drop him in bed. Also hoping it's just a phase with the newly expanded room a little overwhelming for him, but he's fairly calm - he just wants us to lay in his room with him and hold his hand till he falls asleep.

I installed a Hue bulb that I can dim in his room and we've started doing more bedtime reading in his room instead of downstairs so he'll hopefully get more comfortable in there and equate it to a relaxing place.

Sleep training sucks.

21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Single parents, how do you say no to your kids other parent? Things took a real bad turn with his mom and I (we were super amicable, hung out frequently, some sleep overs, etc.), but it seems that's come to an abrupt end. If she says, "can I come over and see him?" I can't bring myself to say no, even though I really don't want her there. It's tough because I think it's good for my kid to see her as much as possible, but on the other side, and as I just mentioned, I really don't want her there.

22. Colby Searcy

Can y'all like meet at a park or something?

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm not sure what your custody situation is, but if it's 50/50 or if it's split on weekends or something, it's really not fair for the one parent to ask the other parent to stop by randomly if it's the other's parents day or weekend. Like, you should each get your time together with your kids and not have to worry about the other parent intruding.

I get that it's important for the kids to see both parents together (if it's a healthy co-parenting, if it's not then it'd be potentially very unhealthy)

Now obviously, if your kid(s) have a game or an event that falls during one parent's time, then it's fair for both parents to be present in a public setting or something, but I think just stopping over is kind of out of bounds (unless again, special occasion like a birthday, celebration for something, etc)

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I just don't want to be around her. She FaceTime's him in the AM and before bed daily and it makes me so anxious and angry.

It's 50/50, week on, week off, switching on Friday's after school. I've been put in a position before where I've said no, and it made things even worse. She took it as a personal attack, threaten that I wouldn't see him on a random week night if I wanted, etc. It's getting ugly so I'm still trying to navigate everything with caution.

25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Over the course of her 20-months, we've definitely had periods of sleep regression, but this one just seems different. It's almost like she's afraid to be in her room by herself. She'll be super tired and I'll go put her in her crib and she like death claws onto me so I can't put her down and then immediately go berserk. Once she does fall asleep, she's fine and sleeps mostly through the night, it's just getting her to go to sleep has been a nightmare.

Daylight savings time hasn't helped at all. I think that's another problem, because it's still light out when she's going to bed.