Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 72

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

2 was bad but dear Jesus.

Constant lying, not listening to anything, threats and consequences not working whatsoever

Nyquist and ncarrab like this.
  2. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I was told recently “four is a GREAT age though, but five gets pretty awful again” and that...that did not make me feel better.

I love my kid. I love him. I love him to death.

But god dammit.

Every little thing is somehow just the worst thing in the entire existence of everything ever. I have been finding myself getting irrationally angry and in desperate need of a break in ways I never used to. My mom has been reminding me recently that this is the age when they test you to see what the limits are and now I am dreading the moment my daughter turns three because oh god it’s gonna happen again.

My wife and I broke at some point by allowing him to start watching YouTube just to give us some time to breathe (and it was easy) and now that has backfired too. He discovered “Ryan’s World” and never have I hated a family more. Just utterly vapid and our son freaks out when we take it away from him.

Avoid “Ryan’s World” like the damn plague that it is.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

Frustration level is constant with us for sure, he gets yelled at alot add that works.... Until it doesn't. Threatening/taking stuff away doesn't seem to help. He runs around the house like a hoodlum screaming age won't settle down and it's nearly impossible to get him to just sit still and calm down for a minute.

The worst is his listening and comprehending when he's hurting someone or something, especially his sister.

We got him his own "pad"(it's actually a Kindle) that he loves and that's what he watches mostly is YT kids which really there is alot of good educational stuff on there. He blasts the shit out of Baby Shark, Timmy The Lamb and Blippi. Thankful he's only somewhat likes Ryan's World, so we've dodged a bullet haha.

Right now it's taken away for a while because he won't listen but, like you I'm really tempted to give it back soon so I can lower my blood pressure and anxiety sometimes.

Nyquist likes this.
  4. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Halfway through 4 and it doesn’t get better...lol

I shouldn’t say that. Honestly, there’s a lot of great days. But man are the bad days BAD.

I feel like now the smallest things set off a tantrum that wouldn’t happen before. And sometimes it just goes all day. He already constantly says “I don’t like you!” when he’s upset. And I find myself yelling, which I hate but seems to be the most effective thing.

Nyquist and Colby Searcy like this.
  5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Are your kids in school yet?

My son is in his second year of preschool and I've noticed that his behavior at home has been getting better because I think he's getting more used to structure and rules. My son is almost 4 1/2 now and his tantrums have significantly gone down since he was 2 1/2 to 4ish. He'll still have a meltdown every now and then, but when he was three, it was like every other day where he'd have some insane, epic meltdown and it just dumbfounded my wife and I.

Also, maybe this isn't the greatest of parenting, but it works for us, but there was a point when he'd have meltdowns, we'd whip our phones out and pretend to video record him and we'd say 'we're sending this to your teacher' and he'd get all embarrassed and stop (at least while our phone was out).

It's an awful phase and the good news is, it seems like everyone goes through it as parents. So it's not like it's not normal.

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Had a weird couple of days with our 18-month old daughter. On Thursday, she kind of stopped eating. Just wasn't interested in anything but was acting completely normal. On Friday night, she threw up a TON - like an insane amount for just a little baby girl so I thought for sure she was getting the flu (my mother in law, who is our primary care taker has been sick since last Tuesday with the flu but hadn't been in contact with them for 3-4 days prior to her throwing up). Right after she threw up, she was completely fine, still running around and playing. No fever and didn't throw up again. However, on Saturday she hardly ate again and yesterday she ate just a little bit.

To make it worse, she barely slept during that time period at all. She no longer wants to go to bed at bed time and wakes up plenty through the night and hasn't been falling back asleep.

I read a lot about eating and sleep regression around this time, but that combined with her throwing up has had us worried. But other than not eating and not sleeping, she's acting completely normal otherwise so we haven't called a doctor yet.

We also tried to ween her off her pacifier this week, which was BAD news. We caved and gave it back to her after 3 days because she literally would not sleep without it. We didn't take my son's pacifier away until nearly 2 and we cut him cold turkey and he was completely fine.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

He's almost 3 1/2 and goes to school 2 days a week. They have the same issues with him that we do, and while it had gotten better it seems at school, home is a different story

Hope y'all can figure out what's going on and everyone is alright!

ncarrab likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

18-month sleep regression is no joke.

awwgereee likes this.
  9. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

My 4 year old can't name any other kids in his class. Is this unusual?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. Colby Searcy

I always ask mine too and he just says his teachers

11. Kingjohn_654

He knows one girl's name because it's the same as my sister's. lol

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Well, update on this, my wife took my daughter to the doctor today because - although she's acting completely normal - she only peed once yesterday and this morning woke up with a barely wet diaper and it turns out she has strep. Probably has had it for a few days now, which may explain her not wanting to eat because her throat has been hurting. Weird thing is, she hasn't been coughing whatsoever and again, has been playful and acting like herself (other than not sleeping much).

Glad to get her on some meds though so she'll feel better. Surprised me, my wife or my son didn't catch it as we're going on 5-6 days of this.

Colby Searcy and Ken like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

@Kingjohn_654 confirmation was today. Due date is mid September

awwgereee, ncarrab and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  14. awwgereee

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. bones

#HEEL

This is our first week where both my wife and I are back at work and my mother in law is watching the baby. Stinks.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

My 3 year-ld knows just about all of them (there's 8); but his mom and I just had a serious discussion last night that we think he's "slow". Like he doesn't talk a whole lot, he gets brown, purple, and black confused, isn't good with basic shapes, if you sit him down to "learn" he just doesn't pay attention. We're not sure what to do.

But to your point, all kids are different and I wouldn't call any one thing unusual.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That will be me in 2 months

Colby Searcy and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  18. Colby Searcy

Thanks!!! We are excited and nervous about the 2 youngest being only 18 months apart! Oh God!!!

How are you doing? Only a few more months right?

19. awwgereee

If it’s any consolation, there are 19 months between my two now, and it’s not too bad. It gets crazy sometimes, but we figured it’ll be worth it when they’re a little older and can play and do stuff together.

I’m pretty good but the last couple weeks are tough. I’ve got just over a month left until his due date. I’ve basically accepted that I won’t be able to go anywhere by myself once the baby is born lol

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  20. Colby Searcy

I'm beginning to realize that the jump from 2 to 3 is WAY more overwhelming than I was thinking

Kingjohn_654 and awwgereee like this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone ever take their kids to a Monster Jam before? We're taking my son tomorrow. Never been to one and don't really know much about them so I have no idea what to expect. But, my son is obsessed with Monster trucks.

Went to Dick's last night to buy some noise cancelling headphones just in case and the guy immediately said 'oh, going to Monster Jam?'

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. Colby Searcy

Does he like that Monster Truck movie?

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Never seen it I don’t think.

24. Kingjohn_654

Your kids ever walk in on you and your SO?

I don't think she saw anything, but idk if I'll ever get over it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  25. Kingjohn_654

You're so close!!! I'm excited for you!

awwgereee and Colby Searcy like this.