Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Parenting Thread • Page 67

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Our kid has done soccer and baseball... and all soccer leagues (in both NC and MA) have been a joke so far... no keeping of score, terrible coaching, all parents thoroughly unimpressed with how they've been run. Baseball's (tee-ball) been alright.

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

How old?

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Our league is all parents as coaches if that says anything. It's more about getting them used to things and teamwork and such than anything else

4. Colby Searcy

Starting on potty training this week, wish us luck

awwgereee likes this.
  5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Isn’t he almost 4?

6. Colby Searcy

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Big kid!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, the first time we put our son in soccer, it was a real joke. The parents would always joke that they do everything but soccer. They'd play tag and just kind of run around. It was strange. It was a beginners/introductory class for 3-year-olds, so for his second stint, we moved him up to a higher league and it was a little more soccer oriented (go figure) and my son loves it. He's pretty good at it too, but for a little kid, it's not too hard to run and kick.

T-ball was OK, they had one coach that really did try to teach the kids, but the rest of the coaches didn't say much or try to help at all. For T-Ball, I was on the field for most of the time helping out because there was so much going on between teaching hitting, running and fielding that some of the parents helped out.

He just started basketball 3 weeks ago and the coaches are coaching too much. Like, already trying to get kids to dribble with their off hand (when they very clearly don't even have a strong hand yet) and jump stops and shooting with a perfect technique form with just their strong hand (whereas most kids shoot with two hands simply because they're not strong enough to shoot with one). My son just turned four in September, and apparently there are kindergartners and 1st graders in this class, so he's really behind them. Had I known that, I wouldn't have even signed him up. It was supposed to be Pre-K only, but somehow older kids got in there.

9. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, my daughter's 3 and we had her in soccer this summer and it was kind of a joke. Half the time she would either just lay on the grass or run off with her friend and do whatever. She started dance at the same time though, and she loves that. One thing I like about it is that the parents aren't allowed in the room with them. It's just the teacher and they all do such a good job listening to her. I think it helps not having the distraction or for them to just come to us whenever they feel like it.

10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

We really need to say to ourselves: “Do we expect anything else from our children at 3 years of age”? If they do get into it then that is plus, but the bar at that age is set VERY low.

11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is one of the most amazing exchanges I have ever seen. Get your tissues out!

12. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Two weeks post op from getting snipped... no issues have popped up so that's been nice. Looked like I got hit by a baseball bat for a couple days with coloration but that's all gone now.

popdisaster00 and ncarrab like this.
  13. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

My wife decided to buy the Elf on a Shelf today. Not too stoked about it since she usually falls asleep putting our older daughter to bed so I’m gonna have to be the one to move it every night

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Ha, I just moved ours a little bit ago becausewife fell asleep. It gets pretty annoying and hard to remain creative for 30 straight days.

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  15. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I have like 5 ideas right now. Not sure how to keep it up for 30 days

16. Colby Searcy

We are hoping our kids never know anything about it

awwgereee likes this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I never did that growing up

18. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

My family never did it either, but we have one now (I think someone got it for Ash as a gift last Christmas). What's the idea behind it? You just hide it and see if he can find it? Am I supposed to give him something if he does?

19. Elf on the shelf? I thought the idea was the elf is watching the kids to tell Santa if they’re being good or not lol

ncarrab likes this.
  20. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I never grew up with it as a kid, but my wife and her siblings did. They have the old school elves from Annalee and they love it so...we’re doing it lol. It’s weird but I roll with it. You’re supposed to move the elf every night so that the kids find it in the morning playing with their toys. Then the elf goes “back to the north pole” to report their findings to Santa on Christmas Eve.

Shrug. It is what it is.

21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Is three still too young? I feel like he won't get it. We'll see - I was planning on starting tomorrow (Dec 1)

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

We actually pulled out the Elf back in like, September, because my son was having a really bad week - behavior wise, so we put him up on the kitchen cabinets for a few days with a note on the fridge coming from the elf that said he heard from Santa that he had to come see him early because he heard our son was being bad. It honestly worked.

I never did it growing up. Actually, I never even heard of it until a few years ago. My wife did it when she was a kid, I think. This is only our second year doing it and I can tell this will be a burden for years to come. My son is already saying things like 'I hope Goofy (he calls the elf Goofy) is doing something funny tomorrow' so we have to try and be really creative. My wife and I aren't all that good about moving him either. Already this year we've left him in the same spot a few nights in a row and we just tell the kids that he must really like that spot. But other nights my wife gets really creative and hangs him upside down on the curtains or last night she had him hold a stick of marshmallows over a fake candle light. It's all ridiculous.

awwgereee likes this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My son was 3 when we started. He definitely got it.

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We have an advent calendar his grandmother made him, similar to the one below. I was thinking of just putting the elf around the house holding the piece for the day. So when he finds the elf, he also gets the put the object on the calendar.

[​IMG]

25. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

That’s actually a really good idea. I forgot we still need to get advent calendars for our kids